Camhóinhann and Princess Winloki [sPoiLeRs]

fairbuccaneer

Science fiction fantasy
After reading A Dark Sacrifice, what do you think will happen between Camhóinhann and Princess Winloki? Is it possible that just as Ouriána seduced him with Dark power, Winloki might have the opposite effect on him? We know that he still has some Light in him (which is why he is such an enigma) so instead of completely turning her dark, he might be moved somehow by her innocence and pure light. Also I smell some sexual tension building between these two I think Lord Skerry may be a bit dissappointed;)

I think Camhoinhann has "Tragic but Noble Death" written all over him.

Truly Pathetic Fallacy, when has being "essentially celibate" really stopped anyone? I meant that there is definitely something growing between these two that being a furiádhin may not be able to repress. Sure there is that lingering obligation to the Empress, but there is also plain human desire and that part of his humanity is obviously still there.

I took essentially celibate to mean they were only with Ouriana. If Camhoinhann became romantically involved with someone else that might break him free from being a furiadhin and lead to his death. I think it is possible that this may be Winloki's part in bringing down Ouriana.

The different furiadhin would seem to have had different motives in becoming attached to Ouriana, a desire for power, authority, greed or fear. I think Camhoinhann's motive was an actual love for her. Hence his nobility and greatness. His downfall of course was in loving a woman who was evil. It would make sense that a woman who is related to Ouriana and perhaps very like she was when he fell in love with her would be the woman who could alter Camhoinhann's attachment to her. What affect this might have on her power I can't tell, although I doubt it is central to her current capabilities. I think if Camhoinhann "betrayed" Ouriana this might drive her even more to dark forces and to become more openly evil perhaps leading others, including her son, to separate themselves from her and this might bring about her downfall.

I wonder which of the furiadhin was the prince's father? It could be Camhoinhann.

I think that Camhóinhann is the father of prince Cuillioc. I started suspecting it in The Hidden Stars when the prince mentioned a childhood infatuation with the furiádhin. It was interesting that out of all the furiádhin, great as they all were, Cuillioc looked up to him in particular when growing up. I also thought it a bit curious that Ouriána did not want Camhóinhann to accompany Cuillioc to Mirizandi even when the prince himself suggested it. Ouriána no doubt knew that Camhóinhann would not let anything bad befall Cuillioc so she sent Iobhar (the despicable) instead. In A Dark Sacrifice, Camhóinhann seems visibly hurt when he hears the news that the prince was dead.

Regarding Winloki and Camhóinhann, I think that their relationship will grow more intense as Winloki develops her powers under his tutelage. She already shows signs that she is developing feelings for him and he is probably attracted to her as well. There is no telling just how intimate Winloki and Camhóinhann will get as they grow closer. Lord Skerry may indeed be dissapointed when he and Prince Kivik reunite with her. She has changed greatly from her days on Skyrra. Her relationship with the high priest will probably sting and irritate the proud empress. Jealousy is a powerful emotion.

I know this is an old thread, but where did you guys go? You had a very interesting discussion going here, and then it seems like you disappeared...

If any of you ever come back, I wouldn't mind joining in. When I was reading The Hidden Stars and A Dark Sacrifice, none of this occurred to me, and your discussion is rather thought provoking.

OK.
I was wondering if the apparent death of Cuilloc (who might be Camhoinhann's son) might also have an affect on his loyalty to Ouriana.

I am not sure how Camhóinhann would react if he finds out that Ouriána had something to do with Prince Cuillioc’s apparent death. I sense that for the first time since becoming a furiádhin he is experiencing emotions that he had not felt before i.e. empathy and perhaps love. The conflict between staying loyal to Ouriána and staying true to his heart might be what finally unbinds him from the dark magic of the empress.
Anyways, I guess we will see what happens…

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:
Good thoughts. I need to go back and reread them before I get book three, since I didn't notice the possibility that Cuilloc might be Camhoinhann's son. Otherwise, Norchie, I still think you have a point. Camhoinhann is showing signs of emotion that might lead to some very interesting actions on his part...

Hey guys, wow, its been over a year since I last posted! Been pretty busy with school etc. Still, I am hoping to read a couple of great books this summer starting with Teresa's Goblin Moon books. I confess I am new to her work, but she is a great storyteller. Eagerly awaiting the last book in the Rune series!

Anyways, back to the topic at hand--Camhóinhann and Winloki. Perhaps what I found most fascinating when I read A Dark Sacrifice, was Winloki's gradual transition from hating the furiádhin to accepting them as individuals (with distinct personalities). I guess she came to respect them somewhat i.e Dyonas in his devotion to Ouriána and Camhóinhann shrouded in all his mystery and power. Towards the end of the book I guess Winloki came down with a case of stockholm syndrome.

Either way, it would be interesting to see how her relationship with Camhóinhann develops seeing that they are now traveling alone after Sindérian pretty much obliterated the others. I can only imagine how mad Ouriána will be!:mad:

Back