Consider Phlebas

biodroid

A.D.D.
I got this at a second hand shop to try before I buy. I must say I am enjoying it thoroughly, it kinda sorta reminds me a bit of Neal Ashers Cormac series so far but I am sure it's not. I like his writing style, very fluid prose with slick action scenes. Does anyone else like this book?

This is a great book. My all time favourite though is the Player of Games and would recommend it to anyone.

I have both Consider Phlebas and Player of Games in order. Will read whichever comes first. Can't wait to get into Banks' Culture world. :)

I'm about to begin chapter 4,just had the fight on the Culture ship,very good so far!
The only thing that confused me so far was the first chapter where we first meet Horza. At first he is being drowned in a vat or some huge tank,then suddenly he's hanging by his arms in a metal tube. Was one of those scenarios a dream or memory?
Other than that I'm loving it and wish I'd discovered the author earlier! Me thinks I'll be looking for his other culture books after this. Hurray for space opera!

At first he is being drowned in a vat or some huge tank,then suddenly he's hanging by his arms in a metal tube. Was one of those scenarios a dream or memory?
Other than that I'm loving it and wish I'd discovered the author earlier! Me thinks I'll be looking for his other culture books after this. Hurray for space opera!

At the start, Horza's been sentanced to death and is hanging in the waste (poop) shaft whilst the people that sentanced him are having a feast.

If you like Banks, you should also try Alastair Reynolds Revelation space series and i'd also recommend Altered Carbon and Black Man by Richard Morgan. (Oddly enough, those two are scottish as well.)

At the start, Horza's been sentanced to death and is hanging in the waste (poop) shaft whilst the people that sentanced him are having a feast.

If you like Banks, you should also try Alastair Reynolds Revelation space series and i'd also recommend Altered Carbon and Black Man by Richard Morgan. (Oddly enough, those two are scottish as well.)

Yea I've sort of read a Reynolds book. Read half of Pushing Ice. Great book but I just wasn't feeling too good at the time! I will re read it sometime.

I know Scotland seems to dominate SF writing in these isles (Banks and Macleod spring to mind, and Stross lives there, though he comes from Leeds), but that doesn't mean that all UK SF writers are Scottish.

Morgan describes himself as British; I'd say his name suggests that he comes from Wales, but that means nothing these days. Reynolds, though, does come from Wales and after moving about, presently lives there.

I know Scotland seems to dominate SF writing in these isles (Banks and Macleod spring to mind, and Stross lives there, though he comes from Leeds), but that doesn't mean that all UK SF writers are Scottish.

Morgan describes himself as British; I'd say his name suggests that he comes from Wales, but that means nothing these days. Reynolds, though, does come from Wales and after moving about, presently lives there.
I thought he lived in Leicester!
Oh strike that, its Peter F Hamilton who livess in Rutland Leicestershire!

I wanted to read The Player of Games first but received Consider Phlebas before it so gave it a go and I'm so glad I did, what a fascinating, solid, masterfully written piece of work! The pace is not fast but I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end. The multi-species characters are amazing and some descriptions are breathtaking. A good start of my The Culture tour.

Oh and the eaters... It's The Wasp Factory's author alright.

There's a truly horrific scene in Consider where our hero becomes captive to a group of people led by a caniballistic overlord. That part made me cringe!

Perhaps both? The bone chair in Use of Weapons is simply bone-chilling. But the shocking effect served the purpose superbly.

There's a truly horrific scene in Consider where our hero becomes captive to a group of people led by a caniballistic overlord. That part made me cringe!

It is really gory, on the other hand some description of the Eater's cult leader had me laughed out loud.

Banks is truly outstanding. I'm trying to read some other non-Banks while waiting for The State of The Art and Feersum Endjinn (though I own all the rest and they can be read as stand-alone, I prefer to read them in order like a good girl), somehow they all seem a little...flimsy.

I must admit, i'm very interested in the Culture as a War Machine. Banks' depiction of the orbitals destruction was very interesting.

I must admit, i'm very interested in the Culture as a War Machine. Banks' depiction of the orbitals destruction was very interesting.

Yes that bit was quite good!
I'm a little concerned tho because well,when reading a book you do get to know the main character but from what I've read each culture novel is different which means no more Horza! I'm beginning to think he dies at the end now! I'll finish it later and find out!

I'll definitely re read each of the three Culture books I've read so far after I finish all of them. It's great to know I have quite a few more ahead.:)

So AE, what are you waiting for? Move on to The Player of Games, and then Use of Weapons! The endings are all brilliant (especially UoW - it'll knock you off your chair), so as the begginings, and everything in between... But Banks' endings are just so, so...tasteful. :)