The "Worlds" books.

Roadkiller

So I've eagerly read both books, springing for the hard cover versions as soon as they hit the shelves.

I enjoyed both, and with Juggler of Worlds, felt I learned some new things. But what exactly did we learn in Destroyer of Worlds that made a big difference in the way we view Known Space?

Maybe I missed something :confused:

Oopppps! I of course meant Fleet of Worlds as the first book, with Jugger coming next.

Destroyer is to be the third, due out next year.

Fleet gave us more insight into Pupeteer society and some of their motivations.

Other than Sigmund Ausfeller's life story, I'm not sure what Juggler brought to the table. It's been a while since I've read it, but if there were something BIG it would stick in my mind.

Maybe my expectations were too high. I keep waiting for the definitive word on what happened to Roy Truesdale and the Human Protector fleet :)

You've got the advantage on me - I've only read Fleet of Worlds because I'm cheap and waited for the paperback. As you say, that does give a great insight into Puppeteer (Citizens) society and the internal politics of Experimentalists and Conservatives.

All true, although I feel that it didn't really lead to anything new. It merely explained the background for things we already knew. Great story however!

I won't spoil Juggler for you, because it is a good read. It just didn't feel 'complete', as if we are being set up for something else.

Hopefully whatever it is gets answered in Destroyer.

Other than Sigmund Ausfeller's life story, I'm not sure what Juggler brought to the table. It's been a while since I've read it, but if there were something BIG it would stick in my mind.

Maybe my expectations were too high. I keep waiting for the definitive word on what happened to Roy Truesdale and the Human Protector fleet :)

I really liked the backstory on Sigmund Ausfeller, and the interactions with Beowulf Shaeffer. IMHO "Neutron Star" makes much more sense from Sigmund's perspective (ARM was interested in Jinxian weapons which kill through GP hulls; Achilles was dissembling for Sigmund's benefit about not recognizing the concept of tides; GP-hulled warships are not unique) and it's fun to see the fallout from Shaeffer's adventures (puppeteer exodus, antimatter). It took a collection of short stories and turned them into a coherent whole in my mind.

I also eagerly await the definitive word on the Home protectors. There's been no broadcast so they're not dead...

-Max

Back