The Dragons of Ordinary Farm - Speculation and Commentary

Grimward

Where matter vanishes...
Supporter
Well, Tad's website and Amazon indicate that The Dragons of Ordinary Farm is to be released in June (Amazon says June 2, Tad says June 9 for US, Aug. 9 for the UK). Can't tell whether this is a Young Adults book or not yet, but Tad's stuff is (to me) almost always good. Looking forward to it.....

Yep looking forward to it!

I understand it's YA in nature and I'll be chasing it up for sure having everything else Tad's ever had published in my hot little hands...:)

Well, I don't have all of his stuff (missing Tailchaser's Song, Caliban's Hour, and War of the Flowers amongst the novels), but I think I'm gonna grab this one, Gol. I'm sure I will pick up Song and War at some point, but I know nothing about Caliban's Hour; any thoughts on that one?

Yes, it's good like most things by Tad.

You know it's a followup to Shakespeare's Taming Of The Shrew, I suppose a sequel of sorts by Tad. It's also got wonderful black and white etchings/drawings done by Tad throughout the book and is only 150 pages long.

Do you have Child Of An Ancient City? It's not one many people know about co-authored with Nina Hoffman, an Arabian Nights style story and novella length.

Cheers...

Ooooh, I liked when Weis and Hickman ventured into the Arabian Nights setting with the Rose of the Prophet trilogy, so I'll have to look up Child of an Ancient City (nothing against them, but Tad writes better than they do!). Thanks for the tip, Gol!

We're probably going slightly off-topic but here's a blurb about the book....

During the reign of the Caliph Harun al-Rashid, a caravan of soldiers sets forth from Baghdad on a dangerous mission to the lands of the north. Bandits fall upon them in the night, scattering their horses and stranding the party in the desolate mountains. But the worst is yet to come. For these hills are stalked by an ancient and powerful vampyr.

One by one, the men are slain by the monster. Then, surprisingly, the vampyr challenges the survivors to a contest: Whomever tells the saddest story shall go free. Only this way can any of them hope to escape alive.

But the vampyr has a story of his own to tell...

Hmm....stumbled upon an old link on Chrons where we're discussing the book, looks as if I thought it wasn't too bad but not one of his best as I think Nina did most of the writing. Still if you're a Williams fan you will want to check it out.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/4584-child-of-an-ancient-city.html

Cheers.....

I have bought an ARC of DRAGONS OF ORDINARY FARM via Abebooks. I am 200 pages into it and I must say, it is very good.

It is defintely YA, but very Otherlandish of sorts. Lots of references to books, films and pop culture.

It is defintely YA, but very Otherlandish of sorts. Lots of references to books, films and pop culture.

*Shudders, then makes sign to avert evil.*

Nooooooo!

Despite earlier posts, and for many reasons stemming from real life, I hadn't picked the first book up until recently, and am about 40 pages in. So far, it's seemingly NOTHING like Otherland, but then I'm not really very far in yet.

*Crosses fingers and hopes it stays that way!*