Nathan Fillion new series (slight OT)

Just watched the latest "Castle" episode (Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind). At the end of the story, Castle and Beckett confront a pair of Chinese operatives. Becket tries to get them to tell her where their suspect is. Blank looks. Castle fires off a stream of Mandarin Chinese at them. The subtitles indicate he's saying: "My partner is crazy. She may shoot you at any moment."

The two operatives indicate the direction to take by thrusting their thumbs over their shoulders, then flee. Beckett asks Castle: "Where did that come from? Did you spend a year abroad?" Castle answers: "No. It's from a TV show I loved."

This and the season one reference to a "space cowboy" just cracked me up.

I've just started watching Castle. The stories are much-of-a-muchness and the series is only really carried by Fillion's charm. It seems to be doing well in the US though.

I've just started watching Castle. The stories are much-of-a-muchness and the series is only really carried by Fillion's charm. It seems to be doing well in the US though.

The secret to enjoying this show is to not (repeat: NOT) take it seriously. The characters are just made from cookie cutters:

Beckett is consistently snarky with Castle.

Castle consistently moons over Beckett while professing not to.

The two other detectives are just errand boys (canvassing neighborhoods, chasing phone book leads).

The captain just appears often enough to tell everybody to "get to work".

Castle's daughter is so wholesome and pure that she makes me gag (the only character I don't like).

His mother is a prototypical washed up alcoholic actress.

Other that that, it's very creative.:rolleyes:

But it IS fun and I enjoy watching it.

Another Firefly reference on a Castle episode: From "Setup" this past week.

Castle's mother is telling him about a spa she wants to take his daughter to called "The Oasis of Serenity". He professes ignorance and she asks, "You've never heard of the Serenity?" He doesn't reply, but the blank stare is priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7F7Wqfcwtg

I quite enjoy Castle (Mrs Perp loves it), and one of the things are the Firefly references and other references that are just scattered all over the place.

It's not the greatest cop show ever, but it is one of the most fun.