New Jack Vance book

Who's Wee Dug

Just found this on the BFS site. ordered mine but too late for the Ltd editon it would have been nice to have the signed one but least I will have the book.
Songs of the Dying Earth
Edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois(preorder — to be published in August 2009)
Illustrated by Tom Kidd.
Lettered: (sold out) Limited:(sold out)
Trade: $40
ISBN: 978-1-59606-213-9
Jack Vance was a seminal figure in the development of modern fantasy, so much so that it’s nearly impossible to imagine the genre as we know it today existing without him. In the course of his more than fifty-year career, he has published dozens of major novels, as well as collections filled with marvelously crafted stories, winning the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Edgar Award, the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America, and several World Fantasy Awards, including the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award. Vance’s masterpiece, The Dying Earth, may be the most influential fantasy novel of the Twentieth Century, surpassed only by J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy; it has not only inspired several generations of fantasy writers, from Gene Wolfe and Michael Moorcock to Neil Gaiman and George R.R. Martin, but its influence has reached deep into the realms of graphic novels, comics, fantasy role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, and even computer gaming.
In Songs of the Dying Earth, we have called on one of the most distinguished casts of authors ever assembled—including Dan Simmons, Neil Gaiman, George R. R. Martin, Paula Volsky, Mike Resnick, Robert Silverberg, Lucius Shepard, Tad Williams, Tanith Lee, Liz Williams, Glen Cook, and eleven other famous writers—to write stories in honor of the genius of Jack Vance, stories using the bizarre and darkly beautiful far future setting of the Dying Earth, near the very end of Earth’s lifespan, where mighty wizards duel with spells of dreadful potency under a waning and almost burnt-out red sun, and adventurers and cutpurses strive to hoodwink and out-trick each other in haunted forests full of demons and monsters strange almost beyond comprehension.
The Limited and Lettered Editions of Songs of the Dying Earth will be printed on 80# Finch, housed in a custom slipcase or traycase, as appropriate. The trade edition will be printed on 60# Natural paper.
Each of the stories in the Subterranean Press edition of Songs of the Dying Earth will feature an original pen-and-ink illustration by Tom Kidd, who has also provided the glorious cover art.
In addition, the SubPress edition will precede the U.S. trade hardcover by six months.
Late News: Jack Vance has turned in an original preface for Songs of the Dying Earth, which will make this book even more dear to those who revere his work. In addition, Dean Koontz will be contributing an appreciation and signing the limited edition.
Songs of Dying Earth will be limited to three unique editions:
Lettered: 26 signed copies, housed in a custom traycase
Limited: 500 signed numbered copies, housed in a custom slipcase
Trade: 1474 unsigned cloth bound hardcovers

Authors — stories in hand:
  • Dan Simmons
  • Robert Silverberg
  • Kage Baker
  • Terry Dowling
  • Phyllis Eisenstein
  • Glen Cook
  • Neil Gaiman
  • Elizabeth Hand
  • Matt Hughes
  • Tanith Lee
  • George R. R. Martin
  • Elizabeth Moon
  • Mike Resnick
  • Lucius Shepard
  • Jeff Vandermeer
  • Paula Volsky
  • Howard Waldrop
  • Liz Williams
  • Walter Jon Williams
  • Tad Williams
  • John C. Wright
Please note: Mr. Vance has already signed the limited and lettered edition, and we expect, though we cannot yet guarantee, that all contributors will sign these editions.

Attachments

• J Vance Book.jpg
    J Vance Book.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 397
Not sure if they print pb's as they are a specialty publishers unless one of the larger publishers buy the pb rights.

Think you're right. Underwood-Miller published LOST MOONS in 1982 and thus far has never been reprinted in either hardback or paperback editions that I know of.:(

There is another new book coming out in June from Subterranean Press.
This is another must for me.:)

Table of Contents:
  • Introduction by Terry Dowling and Jonathan Strahan
  • Assault on a City
  • Rumfuddle
  • The Augmented Agent
  • Green Magic
  • Ullward's Retreat
  • Coup de Grace
  • Chateau d'If
  • The Potters of Firsk
  • The World-Thinker
  • Seven Exits from Bocz
  • Wild Thyme and Violets
  • Wild Thyme, Green Magic collects an alien’s handful of these wondrous tales, among them the author’s first-ever sale, “The World Thinker”, the unforgettable “Chateau D’If”, the stylish “Green Magic”, the no-punches-pulled “DP”, the macabre, almost Gothic “Seven Exits from Bocz”.

Anyone know the stories, do they share a theme ? Similar worlds ?

I dont know his short stories well.

The last lines on the post takes some of the blurb about the book should give you some idea

Can't find the artist as yet will keep looking.

Anyone know the stories, do they share a theme ? Similar worlds ?

I dont know his short stories well.

Read about 75% of these and don't recall them being related to each other in any obvious way. Just independent, super cool Vancian visions. (Except "Assault On A City" which originally appeared in one of Terry Carr's UNIVERSE anthologies. Didn't care for it all that much but can't remember why.)

Wee dug have you started reading Wild Thyme,Green Magic ?

I have pleasantly lost myself in the worlds of JV. I adored Hant in Assault on A City.

I didn't like the snobby way of the female lead but the way with few words how he built the city,its parts,the people,aliens. The ending dont ruin the atmosphere and the world building of that fascinating city.

I'm used to reading his fantasy short stories and his sf in novel form. Its exciting to go from to story with different worlds,type of sf story in the collection.

My first story was Seven Exits from Bocz. Cause it was a revenge story and like the introduction say its rare for the pragmatical JV to write a story like that. It was so hardboiled written in the first pages and it was so Gothic. Nice little wierd revenge story.