What Historical Fiction are you reading?

nj1

monkey is magic
In an attempt to get some action in the HS board, I'm creating this thread for anyone who wants to post what historical books they might be reading.

To start us off;

I'm currently nearing the end of Tim Willocks' THE RELIGION.
To be honest its one of the best HS books i've read. Its about the defence of Malta by the Knights of ST John The Baptist (Hospitallers) against the invading Ottoman Turks. We get to see both sides of the siege and there are some excellant battle scenes (though very gorey!!)
Not for the faint hearted but I would highly recommend this book on what I've read so far.

Next up its either Bernanrd Cornwells AZINCOURT or Simon Scarrows FIRE AND THE SWORD. I might have to toss a coin to choose as they both look good.

C.J. Sansom's hunchback lawyer series is good. I have the third book right now Revelation. It is in HenryVIII's era.

Can't argue with your opinion of The Religion, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED it!!! I keep waiting for more news regarding the next book in the proposed trilogy. All I've found out so far is that it has something to do with the wars of the Huguenots.

A friend is currently reading Azincourt, and really, really, enjoying it.

I'm not reading an Historical Fiction novel at the moment - I'm reading Ian Rankin's Black & Blue. But I think I'm going to make Edith Pargeter's The Heaven Tree Trilogy my next read - I just found a copy of it in a thrift store. I've heard it compares quite favourably with Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, which I thoroughly enjoyed. His World Without End was fantastic too.

I'm not reading an Historical Fiction novel at the moment - I'm reading Ian Rankin's Black & Blue. But I think I'm going to make Edith Pargeter's The Heaven Tree Trilogy my next read - I just found a copy of it in a thrift store. I've heard it compares quite favourably with Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, which I thoroughly enjoyed. His World Without End was fantastic too.

I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth but have'nt managed to read World Without End as yet though am keeping an eye out for it.
I will have to have a look through Fantastic Fiction to see if it has anything on The Heaven Tree Trilogy, sounds good.

C.J. Sansom's hunchback lawyer series is good. I have the third book right now Revelation. It is in HenryVIII's era.

Lissa,
Can you tell us what these books are like, plot etc.Are they crime based and if so do they give an accurate account of the laws during that period?

They are crime based. It has been a while since I have read the other two books and I have not started the third yet. I will have to refresh my self on it and get back to you. I am at work right now and my brain is mush. Sorry.

They are crime based. It has been a while since I have read the other two books and I have not started the third yet. I will have to refresh my self on it and get back to you. I am at work right now and my brain is mush. Sorry.

I don't know about other countries, but here in Canada, at the Chapters/Indigo stores, you'll find them in the Mystery section. I believe they're actually known as The Shardlake Series.

C J Sansom

That's the one. Like I said my brain is mush today. It's been a long week.

I liked Historical Fiction so much when its done right. Good to see this thread.

Im not reading HF right now but after i finish my fantasy library book i will finish reading The Religion by Tim Willocks. I liked it but didnt have time to finish when i originally read it.

At the moment I'm reading a dark fantasy, but after I finish that I'm going to start on The Trout Opera, by I forget who.

I haven't read them, but several people I know who love Sansom's Shardlake series also rave about Robert McCammon's books, Speaks the Nightbird, and it's followup novel, The Queen of Bedlam. They seem to be Historical Mysteries, with a bit of a Horror edge to them.

The Robert McCammon Web Site

Is Drood close enough or should I just call it fantasy....the emphsis here is definitly on the "fiction".

@ thepaladin. What is Drood? Never heard of it, can you elaborate some.

I've just finished THE RELIGION and must say that was one good book IMHO and I would recommend it to anyone!

I've decided to start Bernard Cornwells' latest novel AZINCOURT which is about the battle of Azincourt (obviously :) ) and the introduction so to speak of the longbow into the world of warfare. Looks interesting and BC always puts alot of research into his books so it should be good.

All lovers of historical fiction, I heartily recommend Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. Set in the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars, following the trials, tribulations, adventures, disasters and unlikely friendship of two men - sea-captain Aubrey, and Irish-Catalan physician and naturalist Maturin.

The series begins with "Master and Commander" and goes on forever, or so you wish once you get hooked. The research is exhaustive and completely convincing, the writing beautiful, historically accurate and highly evocative (I swear I could smell the sea at times while reading) and the characterisation masterful. Full of the observation of life, from the wry to the tragic and heartwrenching to the absurd and laugh-out-loud, these books are true jewels - just like life.

Just finished Azincourt and it was a good solid book, kept me reading and plenty of action, though a bit predictable in parts, As usual a quality book by BC but not as good as the Arthur books imo.

I realised that I have four Historical fiction books in my to be read pile so am sticking with it for a while.

Next up - Fire and the Sword by Simon Scarrow. Book three of his Napoleon/Wellington series that has been really good so far. First book favoured Napoleon and the second Wellington so i'm looking forward to how this one will pan out.

I am in the last of Stephen Lawhead's King Raven series, namely Tuck. This is a retelling of the Robin Hood (Rhi Bran Hud) myth, in a manner that would neatly explain a lot of things, and sets the story in the Welsh March. One can easily assume the later anglicization of the myth by moving it to Nottingham, and by changing the main character to Robin of Locksley, from Bran ap Brychan.

Very well done, a real page turner, and a lot of fun to read. Lawhead also appears to have done his research very well (again). Some small fantastic elements, but these are very small, more spiritual than magical, and not enough to take it from historical to fantasy. And, most importantly, Lawhead does not lose the swashbuckling and playful character that we are familiar with from the various incarnations of Robin Hood.

I highly recommend the series. Starts with Hood, then the second is Scarlet, and it finishes with Tuck.

I am in the last of Stephen Lawhead's King Raven series, namely Tuck. This is a retelling of the Robin Hood (Rhi Bran Hud) myth, in a manner that would neatly explain a lot of things, and sets the story in the Welsh March. One can easily assume the later anglicization of the myth by moving it to Nottingham, and by changing the main character to Robin of Locksley, from Bran ap Brychan.

Very well done, a real page turner, and a lot of fun to read. Lawhead also appears to have done his research very well (again). Some small fantastic elements, but these are very small, more spiritual than magical, and not enough to take it from historical to fantasy. And, most importantly, Lawhead does not lose the swashbuckling and playful character that we are familiar with from the various incarnations of Robin Hood.

I highly recommend the series. Starts with Hood, then the second is Scarlet, and it finishes with Tuck.

I saw TUCK in a bookstore the other day and nearly bought it before finding it was part of a trilogy. That said though i was in doubt as i'd read Lawhead before, I've got two of his 'templar' books (i think one of the was called BLACK ROOD or something?) about a secret society i think, anyway i struggled with the second book and dropped the series due them being overly religious in my opinion. After that I have'nt been near any of his work.
This series does sound interesting though (especially being set in Wales:D) and i'm now tempted to take a look.

All lovers of historical fiction, I heartily recommend Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. Set in the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars, following the trials, tribulations, adventures, disasters and unlikely friendship of two men - sea-captain Aubrey, and Irish-Catalan physician and naturalist Maturin.

The series begins with "Master and Commander" and goes on forever, or so you wish once you get hooked. The research is exhaustive and completely convincing, the writing beautiful, historically accurate and highly evocative (I swear I could smell the sea at times while reading) and the characterisation masterful. Full of the observation of life, from the wry to the tragic and heartwrenching to the absurd and laugh-out-loud, these books are true jewels - just like life.

I feel the same about C.S Forester's Hornblower series. He makes you travel to 18th century England like no other. So vividly,so techniqual about the sea life,ships,navy life that i can smell the sea,seeing everything clearly.

I will read O'Brien again when i have finished Hornblower. Forester hade me hungry for quality historical set in those times.

I have read most of the authors mentioned in the historical ficiton forum and i feel like no one makes historical fiction as everlasting entertaining,interesting as C.S Forester.

Back