Rides a Dread Legion *SPOILERS*

Conan

Catalyst
Havent read it yet, just wanted to be the first person to make this thread:p.

Seriously though post your thoughts here.

I have seen this book in the shops here in Oz, but I haven't bought it yet. As it is a novel featuring Demons (of the 5th circle), I wonder if there will be a revisit of the Saaur homeworld?

My copy has just been posted this morning from play.com.:D

Ok, so I bought the book yesterday, read it, and I really enjoyed it, and didn't notice too many minor mistakes.
I think I will enjoy the DemonWar a lot better than the DarkWar.
Am really looking forward to the next book.
And Pug is well on his way to losing everyone that he loves and cares about, in fullfillment of Lims-Kragma's prophecy.

*SPOILERS*

ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead. Nuff said. Miranda always annoyed me, and it was glorious to have her throat ripped out by a minor demon. Really sucked that Caleb died though. Very good book, so much better than darkwar and dare I say, serpentwar? I didnt really like the Paladin, Sandreena, but I really like the human and elf warlocks. I enjoyed Tomas's if-you-don't-stop-that-I-will-destroy-your-people approach to those damn arrogant star elves, well he brought them down to earth thats for sure, and he will probably be much more involved from now on. Did Tad and Zane die? I wonder who the demon king will turn out to be, I don't know how the demon war saga could only be two books long though... Can't wait for RotDK.

Spoilers

Conan,
I also enjoyed the two Demonmasters. I particularly enjoyed the bit when they started to believe that they couldn't trust anything there demon minions did or said, as all demons served the enemy.

Did Tad and Zane die?
Considering Jommy was out serving the conclave on his own, I would expect that Tad and Zane would both have been out in the field somewhere, rather than being on the island with their mother (and adoptive father).

I wonder who the demon king will turn out to be

The next book is Return of the Demon King, which makes me wonder if it is one of the demon kings we have already encountered, namely Maarg (Demon King of the 5th Circle) or Jakan (Demon King of the Emerald Queens Army).

It depends whether starving to death in a world in the 1st circle (the universe of Midkemia) is enough to permanently destroy a demon. Otherwise Maarg would have just returned to the 5th circle after his 'death', rested a little while, and been back in action.
Similarly, Jakan (after drowning/being crushed to death in a mile deep ocean rift) may have returned to the 5th circle.

Or perhaps it will be a similar plot to the darkwar, with a being from a different plane having usurped the throne of a hell?

I hope its not similar to Darkwar, it would be interesting if it was Jakan, then he would have a score to settle (watch out Pug, Tomas, and Calis maybe?).

For anyone in NZ:

RaDL $25 @ Borders, $35 @ Dymocks, $45 @ Whitcoulls, RRP $45

Bought it, read it, loved it

Well we know the Demon King can't be Maarg; they've found his body, unless demons are merely states of energy, which could possibly be true. I also doubt the demon will be Jakan either; I've got no explanation for this, other than I believe his part in the cycle is over.

There was something in the book that is keeping me thinking: how about Tugor? I know the Saaur Loremaster 'destroyed' him, but I remember someone, possibly Pug, saying something about him, followed by 'maybe demons are harder to kill than we thought' quote, or something along the lines. Very strange.

Other than that, a very good book. Not up to the standards of Magician or some of his earlier works, but good none the less.

I went to the book signing at Forbidden Planet and there is going to be one more in the Demon Wars, then another trilogy which will tie it all up and end the entire series.

Well we know the Demon King can't be Maarg; they've found his body, unless demons are merely states of energy, which could possibly be true. I also doubt the demon will be Jakan either; I've got no explanation for this, other than I believe his part in the cycle is over.

There was something in the book that is keeping me thinking: how about Tugor? I know the Saaur Loremaster 'destroyed' him, but I remember someone, possibly Pug, saying something about him, followed by 'maybe demons are harder to kill than we thought' quote, or something along the lines. Very strange.

Other than that, a very good book. Not up to the standards of Magician or some of his earlier works, but good none the less.

I thought it was one of his best, (not as good as Magician, aDaS, RoaDK or Exiles return) better than the whole darkwar series. Which isnt really a major accomplishment I suppose. I wonder how they are going to wrap the Demonwar saga with only one book though. The Demon King may be tugor, I doubt it though, could be a dread, or even a Valheru? (very unlikely on the last one). Hopefully this won't follow the same pattern as Wrath of a Mad God.

Read the whole book on Saturday. Well impressed by it. Glad to see Tomas having a larger part to play and hopefully he'll feature even more in the next one. Loved the part where he brings all but 3 of the Taredhel to their knees as he arrives at their home.

Read the whole book on Saturday. Well impressed by it. Glad to see Tomas having a larger part to play and hopefully he'll feature even more in the next one. Loved the part where he brings all but 3 of the Taredhel to their knees as he arrives at their home.

lol, the taredhel made me laugh, they thought they could vanquish the Valheru if they returned, then one of them comes and they all start grovelling.

Just read it myself, good book though too short( like most of his recent works, unfortunately ).

The way I understood it, Maarg walked into a trap; someone else wanted him to go to Shila so they could lock him up there, taking over the mantle of Demon King themselves. Judging by what Pug said in the book, it seems it might actually be someone they know or would recognize( possibly not even a demon ), that's why whoever it is is trying so hard to keep his identity hidden. So yeah, maybe a Dread or even a Valheru( we didn't actually get confirmation that they all were at Midkemia when the lifestone was activated, did we? ). Or maybe an old character?

Another interesting idea in the book was how there was supposed to be one 'angel' for every demon, which would even out the odds and keep a certain balance. Yet for some reason there are no angels to be found( with the possible exception of the few at the peaks of Quor ).

This book also got me thinking that maybe Rythar and Mythar are still alive and fighting. On one side you have Mythar, God of Chaos, with his Demons and Dread from the lower planes, on the other side you have Rythar, God of Order, with her Angels and whatever else might be up there. Midkemia is stuck in the middle, where most of the fighting between the two sides is going on.

3 Words people.

Macros The Black.

His hand is sure to be somewhere in this. I would expect to see some more of him.

I also love the way Fiest had people winning on Sorceror's Isle....... oh, then a demon popped up and bit Miranda. R.U.S.H.E.D!!!

But apart from that, a very interesting afternoon's reading.

Also, I believe Nakor was closer to the truth than anyone thinks.

Imagine if you will, the spike through the layers of reality. Nakor described it as going up (i.e. the 7th plane pushes up to the 6th pushes up to the 5th, etc...)

Where does the seventh layer of heaven push up to? Will it be the seventh layer of hell? And by affecting things down there, can they help to restore the balance? And if the layers are skewed up, is there a plot for some Midkemian evil to try and ascend to the first layer of heaven? Perhaps Belasco?

And does anyone remember Nakor's religious order? Perhaps they can weave some influence into this tangled web of plot. If I remember right, an old woman seemed to be getting stronger in a cave, waaaaaaay back in Kaspar's original redemption. she even gave him a coin The balance, I am sure, is slowly returning.

And Tomas STILL doesn't have all of his memories!

There is more I could hypothesise, but let's discuss that first!

I think that Pug will die having expended all of his not-so-inconsiderable power in restoring the balance.

But then, why is there MASSIVE amounts of talk about Magnus 'outstripping even pug in power', 'someday being more powerful than his father', 'will soon be the most powerful magician on Midkemia' - according to Nakor, Kalkin is about to break the greatest rule of all. 'You will inherit a burden from your father, and it is a heavy one, but I think you will be up to the task' - hmmmmmm. Don't forget that Magnus has only ever loved once, and was burned from it, and so stays away from that. The subtlety is amazing!

hey guys i really like the book too! although it was way too short, makes ya think if he's just trying to make more money or something

neways!

No doubt there will be some big twist with who is controlling the demons, with Belasco having to be involved with that, being the distraction to get Miranda and the others away from the Island while it was attacked...

The actual book name hints at the dread being involved, but if thats the case that would involve the dread cotrollingthem or something, and that would be quite lame (being the same as DarkWar)

hopefully Pug, Tomas. Magnus, Laromendis,amirantha, Gulamendis, and Magnus take it to a new level. I cbf being intersted in amirantha and sadreena's love story.

also the next series is called the Chaos wars series (1-a kingdom beseiged, 2- a crown imperiled, 3- magician's end), so it makes u think if the demonwar books are just lead ins to the a bigger picture, then the Valheru should get involved some how. THe return of the demon king better be long to make up for this shortass book! Feist owes us! lol

Also just as a side note, Does neyone else really want to Feist to finish the Krondor series, i wanna know who the Crawler is and how Sidi kills Jazhara (that's a guess). apparently there is some issue over the rights and stuff cos the first couple of books were involved with video games..
He might struggle to do this as he has 3 more books to write in teh Chaos Wars series and he is getting on in years....

I'd like to see an ending to the Krondor books. I really enjoyed them.

As for this book, I really enjoyed it. Thank God Miranda is dead. Sucks about Caleb. Tomas is total badass in this, I hope he is in the next one. I want to see him unleash.

Also wasn't it Zane who took Sandreena to the Conclave after she reached Ithra?