Rides a Dread Legion *SPOILERS*

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not Feist's books -- I've read nearly all of them.

[spoilers start here]

I'm seeing a formula to Feist's books now, and RADL follows it pretty closely. Every book introduces some new good-guy characters at the start; has the Conclave (or future members of it) tackling a foe who is bigger and nastier than the one(s) in the previous book; and then one or two of the 'heroes' die near the end of the book. I did wonder how Feist was going to come up with nastier creatures than the Dasati from Hell; I guess dropping down another 'circle' in the plane of existence was the logical answer.

I did enjoy the book, though, and I particularly liked the "everything that has happened up till now has been part of a great deception" storyline. It's not the first time Feist has used it, but it does get me thinking about how previous events, which felt very "done and dusted" after Wrath of a Mad God (where Feist finished off several long-running storylines, some a bit abruptly IMHO), might once again play into the current story.

hey there,
brand new here, just finished RaDL, wasn't too bad, very short and yes, deaths of major characters in just a non-glorious way is disappointing. In response to Steel, have you forgotten that Feist was a founding member of "The Saturday Nighters" a role-playing group, one of whom created the world of Midkemia? I'm not saying that the similarities between the Warlock from WoW and the Warlock and Demon Master in this book isn't signifigant, adds some new flavor to the series, but i wouldn't be surprised that one of the current SN's, if they are still around, played a Warlock in WoW, thought "this is cool, i'll bring it into the session on saturday night" and bingo, thats how they came to be in the books

I just finished reading this and I have to say the ending was quite a shock.

To begin with, I didn't take Nakor's death too seriously in the last trilogy (I more or less felt his time had come - and his death served a very useful purpose) - so the sh*tstorm he had in store for us at the end of RaDL took me completely by suprise.

All in all I say things are not looking good for the Conclave. I'm begining to wonder just how many more sacrifices will have to be made in order to prevail against the coming crises - and if the Conclave and it's leader will ever recover from their losses.

On the bright side, this new agency obviously considers them a threat - so perhaps there is still some potential for whats left of the Conclave (which is pretty much just it's senior members) to do some damage.

Overall I say this was a good read - with alot of unexpected turn of events. I'll be looking forward to see what happens in the next 2 books - hopefully there will be less embarrassing defeats and more a**kicking to be had for our main characters.

I didn't feel the death of Miranda was rushed at all. I think it would be wrong to assume that every battle they go into, the main characters are all invincible and nothing can touch them. Miranda's death was a sharp reminder of mortality of every character and of Pug's bargain with Lims-Kragma. All the way through the next book I actually feared for the other characters' lives, especially for Magnus. Normally whenever anything dangerous is happening I think "Oh, this is exciting, but they'll all probably be alright anyway." Miranda's death has completely thrown this kind of thinking out of the window.