Tanith Lee

I read her short story A hero at The Gates in Mike Asher fantasy anthology last night.

I was impressed by her prose and the sword and sorcery like story. Cyrion was very interesting.

I enjoyed the writing and the story so much that i will get the collection called Cyrion. Hopefully the other short stories of the collection are as good.

I love Tanith's prose, it's just so rich and vibrant. I'm delighted to say that Tanith has recently written a brand new story "Under the Fog (The Wreckers)" for my latest anthology Subterfuge, which will be launched in October at the NerwCon 4 convention.

Getting really excited about this book, which will also feature new stories from Pat Cadigan, Neal Asher, John Meaney, Tony Ballantyne, Juliet McKenna, Sarah Singleton and Neil Williamson among others. :)

Some impressive writers there.

What i liked most of her prose was that it fit so well in the story. It reminded me fondly of nice prose of the best classic fantasy prose writers like REH,Leiber,Vance etc Not the prose style but the prose ability.

When i saw her many series in fantasticfiction i was alittle confused. I didnt know which books was Heroic Fantasy stories. I know she wrote planet and romance too.

Can anyone lead me to her best Heroic Fantasy books ?

So many of her plots are episodic, Connavar, almost like a series of linked short stories, that it can be hard to label them as one thing or the other. Even the books that have a more conventional plot structure can be hard to categorize.

Of all her stories, I'd say the Vis books fit most comfortably into the sub-genre of heroic fantasy: Storm Lord, Anackire, and The White Serpent.

So many of her plots are episodic, Connavar, almost like a series of linked short stories, that it can be hard to label them as one thing or the other. Even the books that have a more conventional plot structure can be hard to categorize.

Of all her stories, I'd say the Vis books fit most comfortably into the sub-genre of heroic fantasy: Storm Lord, Anackire, and The White Serpent.

I dont mind reading her other fantasy and her SF. Its just i want right now a story in the vein of Cyrion. I was impressed that i want to read more of Cyrion and her similar fantasy stories.

Episodic are fine to me . I enjoy many episodic fantasy series both short stories and novels. The short story i read reminded me of Conan stories,episodic weird Heroic Fantasy/sword and sorcery kind of story it was.

I was wondering, i saw the info about her in the anthology say she wrote Planet and Romance. Does that mean Romance in the old meaning where they called John Carter stories and other early fantasy,SF stories romance novels or just planet adventure with romantic elements ?

One thing i liked when i read about her many series was that there were many female leads in them. I want to read that when i look for her books, dont want to limit myself to male heroes. Its interesting with different perspective.

I'm just looking for some genreral comments about this author. She seem prolific enough. I've just purchased Piratica. Even though it might be YA, it still seems like a fun read.

elvet, I've just merged your new thread with another thread of the same name which has been fairly active recently. You should find the kind of comments you are looking for here.

As for Piratica, it is YA and it is a fun read, but it's in no way representative of her fiction for adults.

I have started reading The Birthgrave as my first Tanith Lee book after the collection of Cyrion.

I got it very cheaply for out of print work i had to order for only 100 kronor or 12.5$.

One of those books that grapped me from the first page. Not because its entertaining or fast read but out of how different,intresting it seems to me.

Good that my christmas holiday from work starts on friday. Not a book i want to read 20 pages or so a day for weeks.

I haven't read any Tanith Lee for years, I guess I need some recommendations as where to go next.

As I said previously, I've read "Birthgrave", "Shadowfire" and "East of Midnight". I was quite suprised when I heard she is also known for her horror writing. I would be particularly interested in hearing a recommendation for her horror.

I didnt know of her horror writing.

When i saw her bibliography of recent years they are mostly YA books.

I need to look her works again. Horror is a great genre.

Tanith Lee is certainly prolific and won several awards. I've only read some of her shorter work in various anthologies.

I understand her Blood Opera series (Vampires) is highly regarded as is the collection Dreams Of Dark and Light.

Will be interesting to see what others think.

Tanith remains one of the best writers around. Her prose has a wonderful lyrical quality and she writes fantasy, dark fantasy and horror with equal skill. Last year she wrote a haunting story about wreckers and ghost ships called "Under Fog" for my anthology Subterfuge. It was subsequently collected in Steve Jones' Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 20 (effectively a 'Year's Best').

Tanith's just written a cracking story for my 'all new vampire' anthology The Bitten Word, due next March. That's going to be a very special collection, with other contributors including Kelley Armstrong, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Freda Warrington, Storm Constantine, Chaz Brenchley, Gary McMahon, Simon Clark, Gail Z Martin, Nancy Kilpatrick, Sarah Singleton and Kari Sperring.

Can't wait! :)

Tanith Lee is certainly prolific and won several awards. I've only read some of her shorter work in various anthologies.

I understand her Blood Opera series (Vampires) is highly regarded as is the collection Dreams Of Dark and Light.

Will be interesting to see what others think.

Books of Paradys series i have read fans thinking are her best series.

It sound dark,horror enough for me to try that series. Will be nice to get as new book too and not out of print like her old fantasy books.

Tempting The Gods: The Selected Stories of Tanith Lee, Volume One is part of a series of collection of short stories. In case you are interested in her short stories.

I have enjoyed Cyrion collection and hope Wilde press collect her short stories fast.

Last edited:
I've started reading a collection of Lee's entitled "Forsts of the night". Three tales so far but all excellent:

"Blood-Mantle" - A take on the fairy tale Little Red Ridinghood and werewolves.

"The Gorgon" - Not so much anything supernatural here but casting the legend of Medusa in a different light.

"The Tree: A Winter's Tale" - The best story so far. An ancient tree weaves a spell over the strange family living in an adjacent house in order to protect itself.

Why has no one mentioned "Don't Bite the Sun." That's the one I want to start with.

I've finished "Forests of the Night" now and it was a very good collection. Loads of great stories covering a wide range of themes. I'm wondering where to go next with her...I fancy trying another novel next time...