SFF Season on BBC Radio

Fried Egg

A little bit late, I know, but a SFF season has just begun on BBC radio:

BBC - Science Fiction Drama - BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 7
A season exploring science fiction writing on Radio 3, Radio 4 and Radio 7. Hear new dramas, plus dramatisations and readings of groundbreaking books.
Comming up are a large number of adaptions including H.G.Wells' "Time Machine", J.G.Ballard's "The Drowned World" and Iain M. Bank's "Start of the Art".

Really looking forward to this.

We were fortunate enough to have some sneak previews of Paul Cornell's adaptation of Iain Banks' State of the Art played at NewCon 4 last year, followed by Iain and Paul talking about it.

If all the adaptations are as good as that sounded, we should be in for a treat. :)

Oh, I just noticed that they're doing Arthur C. Clark's "Rendezvous with Rama" as well...

Great - thanks Fried Egg - I'm intrigued by the Blake's 7 that's on at 9am tomorrow - will have to try and catch that...

"Bring me the head of Phillip K. Dick"...that's got to be listened to!

Really looking forward to this.

We were fortunate enough to have some sneak previews of Paul Cornell's adaptation of Iain Banks' State of the Art played at NewCon 4 last year, followed by Iain and Paul talking about it.

If all the adaptations are as good as that sounded, we should be in for a treat. :)

Probably apropos of absolutely nothing, Paul Cornell was one of the guests at Gallifrey One a couple of weeks ago in Los Angeles, where I was lucky enough to attend a writers panel which he moderated. The panel also included Phil Ford, Keith Temple, James Moran and Robert Shearman, all of whom have written for either Doctor Who, Torchwood, and/or the Sarah Jane Adventures. Fun, interesting panel, that.

You got Internet, that is probably good enough. Either iPlayer, if you missed it, or net radio, most (all?) of BBC's radio stations broadcast on the net to.

You got Internet, that is probably good enough. Either iPlayer, if you missed it, or net radio, most (all?) of BBC's radio stations broadcast on the net to.

Yea but unfortunately I don't get time to sit and listen to radio,and if the computer is on I'm too tempted to come on here. Sitting listening to a radio just seems strange. Its like my hands need something to do. And yet in the old days thats all everyone did!

Of course, listening while you do something else isn't unheard of, either. Or is that too much like multi-tasking for most guys? :eek:

Yea but unfortunately I don't get time to sit and listen to radio,and if the computer is on I'm too tempted to come on here. Sitting listening to a radio just seems strange. Its like my hands need something to do. And yet in the old days thats all everyone did!

You could always take up knitting.

*smiles innocently before tiptoeing away*

Did anyone catch "Bring me the head of Phillip K Dick"? Very surreal...

I listend to a few of the adaptations. Could get on with The Time Machine or Rendezvous with Rama. I found both dull. But The State of the Art was good. Having said that, I'm not entirely convinced by radio plays - I'm not a big fan of the medium, and it's a format that doesn't really work for me.

If I can get a good one I like to listen to them while traveling. Makes a nice break from music radio.