Philip Jose Farmer - Passed away

Can't say I'd read all that much by him, but what I had read was mostly good stuff. He was definitely one of the originals of his generation.

Never a great favourite of mine, but that's not the point. Definitely an original writer and, as such, a sad loss to the genre.

Before Farmer, characters in science fiction reproduced orally (they talked about it, and if they got to kiss, there was a baby in the offing)

His characters were noticeably more sexually active, fornicating across species lines and generally enjoying that side of life a lot more than most of the uptight heroes (and I assume the heroines, too) of the time, and he succeeded in convincing a lot of the other authors of the time that, even if the target audience was a fourteen year old boy in the bible belt, SFF could go at least as far as real literature in titivating him (after all, look at the covers on some of the pulps, even if the prose inside would only be stimulating to a horny washing machine.)

I have not been overimpressed by his more recent offerings (Riverworld was a marvellous concept; what a pity it fizzled out) but, if only for the pleasure he gave a younger me, I will miss him.

He created the Wold Newton Family concept, which is rife with storytelling possibilities and probably inspired Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. For this he has always had my admiration.

I'm sad that he has passed away.

Sad news...his Fabulous Riverboat series was one of my earliest forays into SF.

I must admit that I've not read nearly as much Farmer as I've always intended, but what I did I've always liked. And his obvious love for the various pulp and popular heroes and tropes, on which he had his own spin, remains something which appeals to me a great deal. Sad news indeed... but at least his body of work (which is quite extensive) will remain....

I have some pulpish sword and planet book of his but not read him yet.

I still find it sad to see classic sf writers leave us. Its like you forget they are only human after all.

My first thought when i read this news was that he was only 91.

Too true, Conn.

I have the six-book Dungeon series, and unfortunately wasn't impressed. There's SOOO much more, though, and I'm sure as I wade my way thru it my opinion will change. My thoughts and prayers for his family.

News like this is always sad. I've never gotten into the Wold Newton stuff because it seemed too complex and forbidding, but I've enjoyed several Farmer works. Probably my favorites are the two volumes of The Classic Philip Jose Farmer which collects some of the best stories from 52-64 and 64-73. Also The Green Odyssey and Inside Outside. And, of course, The Lovers and Riverworld in their various forms. The World of Tiers series is also highly regarded, though that's on my shelves waiting to be read. I agree with j. d. worthington on his love for the pulps (though that probably manifests in the Wold Newton stuff more than anything). And he, in turn, had a huge impact on the field. Even for those who don't read his work directly, SF readers now experience something partly shaped by him in significant ways.

I am deeply saddened by the news of his death. One of my top ten favorite sf writers. He was guest of honor at a Norwescon I attended in the early eighties. Went to a panel he was scheduled to be on. Damon Knight and Orson Scott Card were also on it. PJF was a few minutes late, but you knew when he arrived --- as he walked down the aisle toward the front of the audience a sudden hush descended over the jabbering crowd. You'd almost think the second coming had arrived the change was so stark.

Going to really miss him.

Sail On! Sail On!

I've been looking in some of my anthology books to see if there's something by him that I could read tonight... no luck so far.

"Riders of the Purple Wage" was in Dangerous Visions and The Hugo Winners, Volume II and "After King Kong Fell" was in Nebula Award Stories 10, if you've got those. I'm having a hard time thinking of anthologies he's been in myself, though, now that I'm trying to.

Three short story collections that come to mind are:

THE BOOK OF PHILIP JOSE FARMER (DAW Books)
DOWN IN THE BLACK GANG
RIVERWORLD AND OTHER STORIES

Sad to hear another golden age great has moved on.

I hope that he is resurrected by a river bank somewhere and gets to meet histories most fascinating characters.

I met him at a science fiction convention in 1976. I did not read all of his books, but he did make great contributions to the sf field. Sorry, all, the sf community has lost another legend.

Didn't know Farmer was gone, very sorry to hear it. He wrote of my my favourite SF novels - an audacious sequel to Moby Dick called The Wild Winds of Ishmael.

RIP

I think that should be The Wind Whales of Ishmael -- and yes, a book worth seeking out, definitely.