New GRRM Update on ADWD

I also have all the paperbacks, but will buy this one in hardcover when it comes out, and then will probably buy the paperback when it comes out as well to match my collection. I couldn't wait for the paperback. :)

Same here. I guess publishers, like everyone else, are obliged to squeeze every penny from the paying customer. This is just one of those rare occasions where I couldn't care less.

Re: Bronn. Yes, Bronn is my lovechild.

Ordered Game of Thrones, first edition in hardback yesterday - lovely birthday present from my wife! Will have to make sure I collect the others now though

Just a note for those of you who don't paint little metal soldiers and push them around on table tops.

Off topic here, but do you, or did you in the past, post on Old Scratches Heroquest Forum? Seem to remember your name and avatar from that forum.

Could just be coincidence though :D

I'd prefer to get it in paperback, but given the choice between waiting or getting it sooner I'll go for the hardback.

At least GRRM's mentioning The Winds of Winter as a possible project...son of Kong, indeed.

Does this mean his way of solving the Kong problem was to shift the problem to the next book? I.e. he didn't really defeat Kong but rather found a way to give himself more time to figure it out? Are we in for another 6 year wait?

Hopefully its Kong on the Empire State building, and not wandering around on the island Kong. Better yet, Mighty Joe Young Kong.

At least GRRM's mentioning The Winds of Winter as a possible project...son of Kong, indeed.

Hopefully its more than a possible project but the next on his list if not already part written, he can pick it back up after a (short) holiday lol

I wouldn't blame him if he needs a break from it for awhile in all seriousness, just hoping he doesn't take a 6 year break

How on earth do you get that conclusion? :confused:

Unless I've totally missed the point of what he's been talking about for the last 5 years, then obviously "Kong" was a plotline that he was having trouble resolving probably due to him taking out the "five year gap". I'm almost positive "Kong" and the "Mereenese Knot" were the same thing, right?

Anyway, it was obviously causing him a lot of trouble. What I'm saying is that maybe he didn't truly solve the difficulties he was having. Rather he figured out a way to push the main sticking points to the next book. In other words, he figured out a way to buy himself more time to figure it out. Therefore, if this little [crackpot] theory is true, then it's possible we could be in for another LONG wait for the next book while he struggles with trying to figure it out again. What say you?

Unless I've totally missed the point of what he's been talking about for the last 5 years, then obviously "Kong" was a plotline that he was having trouble resolving probably due to him taking out the "five year gap". I'm almost positive "Kong" and the "Mereenese Knot" were the same thing, right?

Anyway, it was obviously causing him a lot of trouble. What I'm saying is that maybe he didn't truly solve the difficulties he was having. Rather he figured out a way to push the main sticking points to the next book. In other words, he figured out a way to buy himself more time to figure it out. Therefore, if this little [crackpot] theory is true, then it's possible we could be in for another LONG wait for the next book while he struggles with trying to figure it out again. What say you?
Kong was a metaphor for ADWD not only the Meereenese knot.

I think no-one holds the answers to your question though. Not even George himself. If you've ever done some creative stuff yourself then you know that sometimes it comes really quickly, sometimes it takes going over the same tiny nuance numerous times.

As we saw this year then he just needed to get in the zone to finish it all off and the last months before defeating Kong I think he was doing pretty good progress. On the other hand during these years there were also really big gaps of basically nothing being done.

The fact that he calls TWOT song of Kong doesn't necessarily mean "Hey guys, I have a bad feeling about this" (while doing the Bruce Willis impersonation). It's just a metaphor stating that TWOW will be a pretty big book like ADWD too and as the series is drawing near to its end he just has to be sure he's doing it right. There's lot of responsibility, you might say its a burden on his shoulders and people are expecting that he delivers. That's Kong. The fact that the responsibility is as big as it was with ADWD doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to take as long (or longer).

That's at least my take on this.

As hadd said, I also took it to mean that ADWD was Kong, not the Meereenese knot. As in so many people kept jumping on his back about finishing the book that it was monkey (Kong) on his back. In fact, I do remember him mention how the knot was sliced open towards the end etc ("one more hack and it's gone" or something to that effect).

I took 'son of kong' to just mean now people will again get on his back about finishing Winds of Winter now that ADWD is out.

Ok, I guess I completely misinterpreted it. I don't read his blog ever. I get all of my info from you fine folks. I guess I just put the pieces together wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

The Mereneese Knot was untangled in ADWD.

He has some chapters and bits of chapters written for TWOW that he moved from ADWD like some Sansa ones. He seems fairly confident that TWOW will not take the time that ADWD did, but who knows. As GRRM says himself, he is at times his own best enemy by trying to engage his fans and give us updates and information.