New GRRM Update on ADWD

The entry by itself is unremarkable. However, combined with the fact GRRM told us he was trying to complete the book by June, leading people to expect news in early June even if it was just that the book has been delayed again, and the simultaneous removal of the 2009 release date by Bantam, leads to the inevitable conclusion that the book has been indeed delayed once more.

Not unless you are using a different definition of the word 'inevitable' than is usually the case. ;) That's a speculation, albeit possibly a reasonable one, not an inevitable conclusion.

The original remark about aiming to finish by June was not a firm target - it didn't lead me to expect news in early June, particularly not given past history. The removal of the 2009 release date looks reasonable given the fact that the book (evidently) isn't finished yet, but this may well be unconnected.

As for it being 'delayed once more', I kind of take the view that GRRM hasn't given a specific completion date, so the 'delay' is a process not an event. Every day the book isn't finished is a 'delay', really.

ETA - I suppose what I'm saying is that you appear to be looking for straws in the wind, and I don't see the point.

WTF? Really??? It is different from the only other one I am aware he ever made available. And here I thought I was in the know.

well, i've only skimmed it, but unless its been revised, it's the same as last year's thingy.

It's the same one that's in the back of AFFC. I believe there are a few minor changes to it, it's not one of the chapters that has been thoroughly revised.

Boarders put up a new date today as well, 29 May 2010, which Amazon UK and Germany have also adopted as the date for the US edition of the book (the UK edition remains listed for October 2009). As usual believe nothing etc etc etc.

Was that even real?

Seemed like a hack.

Was what even real? Sorry, not sure what you're referring to here.

The Amazon 2035 date? That's someone at Amazon seriously taking the mickey. Apparently they've been getting some grief over the release date as well, which is why they did the 2013 release date last year. No doubt next time the date changes it will be 2166 or something. Those wags. Must be a laugh a minute over there.

No, I was talking about the chapter itself.

Just didn't sound like GRRM, the pen has a far different voice to me than anything else I've read.

New update here.

Suvudu blogger Shawn Speakman also heard this news from GRRM:

The book won't be finished in June. Maybe August. He and I have been writing back and forth the last few days and he told me progress is going slower than he'd like. So I'd say don't expect it until November or December at the earliest.

The good thing is his manuscripts are neat and clean and barely need any editing. The publisher already has the lay out ready, so in short the turn around from turning the manuscript in to getting it on the shelves will be smaller than other books.

Note that Bantam has already moved the date to May 2010, so it is unlikely to come out in the USA this year. The UK is also very doubtful, but I suppose just about possible.

Very encouraging indeed. Good to see GRRM "jazzed" about progress he's made on what I assume were tough chapters to write.

Chapters.Indigo book chain here in Canada still has it listed for publication on September 29, 2009, while cheeky Amazon has December 31, 2035.

Last edited:
He's on a roll!

Sacrifice to Athena or Apollo or the deity of your choice! Or, ick, maybe not.:)

In all seriousness, although part of me is feeling like CHarlie brown about to try to kick the football, this is VERY exciting news. he sounds VERY optimistic and really up, a far cry from where he was a few months ago. GO GEORGE

So, 2010 will be the year of the Dragon? Actually, I think it's the Year of the Tiger in the Chinese calendar.

The year of the Dragon won't be until 2012, but who's superstitious?