New GRRM Update on ADWD

Yeah, but Malazan sux, too. Serious spoilers below:

For example, the "shocking" death of WhiskeyJack (I pick this particular scene because ASOIAF is known for shocking deaths). How many times was his stupid leg mentioned. Like 400 times it seemed. *Of course* he was going to die and *of course* his leg would cause it. I rolled my eyes at that scene. Argh, lots of other reasons to hate that serious but I better stop before I start [another] flame war. ;)

The writing speed of Erikson is a bit overstated. The first three books took a bit longer than the rest to write, and Books 2 and 3 are widely regarded as the best in the series. Book 5, which is probably the next best-regarded one, also took a bit longer to write. It's the books that he had to fire off the most quickly, 4 and 6-8, which have become in for the heaviest criticism over their lack of proofing, editing or redrafting. Hence the timeline errors and purple prose.

Also, what a lot of people don't realise with GRRM is that the writing speed has not substantially changed. He wrote the first third of ACoK as part of AGoT before he realised the book was too huge, so he actually completed the published AGoT (which itself took over four years to write) well over a year before it came out, and as a result ACoK took about three years to write and AFFC closer to four (taking out the eighteen months he spent writing a different Book 4 and then scrapping it). So all of the books in the series to date with the sole exception of ASoS have taken 3-4 years each to write.

So the situation with ADWD is business as usual. The only difference is that lots of people obviously weren't as bothered about the situation with Book 1 and the author indicated at the end of Book 4 that the next one would be out more quickly. Well, unfortunately, that ship sailed a long time ago.

According to Amazon.ca A Dance With Dragons is now slated for Sep29, 2009...Up until now it showed 2013. Not that I believe these dates, but it gives me a little hope

According to Amazon.ca A Dance With Dragons is now slated for Sep29, 2009...Up until now it showed 2013. Not that I believe these dates, but it gives me a little hope

Bantam put up that date some time ago as a very hopeful date. To be honest, I'm not sure I buy it. If GRRM finishes in June as he plans, I think November is a more likely release date as the previous two books took five months each to edit. Three would be rushing it a lot.

ADWD arriving within weeks of the next WoT book would be appropriate, as the last ones in each series were also released virtually at the same time as well.

Bantam put up that date some time ago as a very hopeful date. To be honest, I'm not sure I buy it. If GRRM finishes in June as he plans, I think November is a more likely release date as the previous two books took five months each to edit. Three would be rushing it a lot.

ADWD arriving within weeks of the next WoT book would be appropriate, as the last ones in each series were also released virtually at the same time as well.
I'll be delighted to see that it's done. If he announces in june and it's published by Christmas drinks are on me.

Given the depressed tone of his last-but-one LJ entry and the fact that the 2009 release dates for ADWD have vanished from Amazon.com and Bantam's home page, I'm going to hazard a guess that American audiences won't be seeing ADWD in 2009.

UK publication is still possible if he finishes in the next few weeks, but my gut feeling is that both will now go to 2010.

Although we could still get an "It's done!!!" message tomorrow, I'm going to guess that ADWD has joined The Republic of Thieves and The Wise Man's Fear in slipping another year.

Dissappointing news to be sure, but we've waited this long. Keep at it, George, and give it to us when it's ready, and not a moment before.

I haven't heard anything from Lynch in a long time...I am eagerly awaiting The Republic of Thieves...although Jacqueline Carey came out with two new books, so...

Yeah, I saw the journal entry... But isn't it true that many authors have written their best stuff in times of anguish?

Yeah, I saw the journal entry... But isn't it true that many authors have written their best stuff in times of anguish?

True, but I am also comparing GRRM's current 'depressed' demeanour (to use his own LJ summary ;) ) to the buzz he was riding in the last two or three months of writing on AFFC, when he was positively gleeful that the end was in sight.

I have to say that I've defended GRRM to the hilt over the years, but that LJ entry was pretty odd. I think it would have been better to say nothing at all or to have carried that thought to its natural conclusion and said what that "Argh! It's June already!" comment meant about his projects. Does that impact negatively on Star-Crossed Lovers and Fort Freak as well as ADWD? Just seemed a bit half-hearted as a comment.

Mind you, compared to some of the LJ entries I've made when I'm feeling down, it's not that remarkable :)

Yeah, I'm not really comparing GRRM's current frustration to the lives of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Edgar Allan Poe, Van Gogh, Beethoven, or Mozart... I was being slightly facetious. (But then again, what do I really know about the man's private life?)

But I don't imagine he'd write that he was 'depressed' if the end was not in sight. I refuse to believe that he suddenly realized, on June 1st, that he was only half finished. From that post, I felt that he could not believe he was going to miss a self imposed deadline. I figure he must be close... but then he's an admitted (and a proven) bad prognosticator. I think I'm gonna invite him to join my NCAA bracket pool next year... then I might actually win the thing.

He'll be done when he's done... and not an instant sooner. I'm not gonna worry about it.... even though I do check the ASOIAF Update Page daily.

I'm not making much out of it.

No, neither am I, and it seems very odd that anyone would. I mean:

It can't be June already. It really can't.

Where have the months gone?

I am so depressed.

That's it. The sum total of the entry.

Yes, it could be some kind of reference to lack of progress on the book. It could, on the other hand, just mean that he's feeling his age today. It could mean practically anything, in fact.

To say this is not particularly solid information is a radical understatement. Anyone who's going to take that entry as a reason for updating this thread seems to me to have reached the stage where they would be as well examining fish entrails for portents.

i completely understand GRRMs post - just as a comment on the year so far. it is depressing that it is June already - in just 2 months time we start our Christmas recruiting procedures again. if that isn't depressing, then what is?

The entry by itself is unremarkable. However, combined with the fact GRRM told us he was trying to complete the book by June, leading people to expect news in early June even if it was just that the book has been delayed again, and the simultaneous removal of the 2009 release date by Bantam, leads to the inevitable conclusion that the book has been indeed delayed once more. I just thought it was odd, given his previous keeness to stop false release dates and hopes getting out there, that he wouldn't expand more on the topic when he gave himself an opportunity to do so, but clearly that is up to GRRM. We can just hope that the reason he didn't is that the book is so close to completion that making an announcement of it being delayed one week and then it's done a month or two later would be redundant.