A name for the Eastern Continent

Werthead

Lemming of Discord
Essos.

I missed this for seven months. Also the fact that the Free City of Volantis is at the mouth of the River Rhoyne. And some other, more spoilery stuff:

Dany isn't going to Asshai. If we do see it, it will be in flashback at best.

I feel curiously defeated, that such a fairly major piece of fanwank-pleasing information should slip me by :(

I was afraid it'd be Ostoros... Essos is a little better.

Thanks again, Wert, for being the fountain of all things ASOIAF.

Wow, some good info there.

So, we will learn more about Pycelle and his story as well as why Benjen joined the Nightswatch.

As we will not see Asshai, so that kills any speculation that Dany will travel there.

[Did Littlefinger influence Joffrey to try and kill Bran?]

Well, Littlefinger did have a certain hidden influence over Joff... but he was not at Winterfell, and that needs to be remembered.

Wait, what does that mean? He had influence over Joff while NOT being there? I know he was able to initially guide Catelyn into first blaming Tyrion when she asked about the knife, but I'm not sure if that really qualifies as a hidden influence over Joff. Am I reading into this too much?

Remember how Baelish told Sansa that he had his men tell tales of Joffrey's depraved nature while he praised Joffrey to the Tyrells? Baelish said this ensured that Mace demanded that Loras' inclusion in the Kingsguard... Mace thought it was his own idea.

Now rewind to Eddard's confession... Varys, Pycelle, Cersei, the High Septon, and everyone else was caught off guard by Joffrey's command to behead Eddard. I take it that Martin's comments about Littlefinger's influence over Joffrey refer directly to Eddard's death.

In lesser events, Baelish might have influenced Joffrey's sacking of Barristan, his poor treatment of Sansa, and his vitriol for Tyrion... I think I remember Baelish saying how the dwarf jousters were his idea.

But mayhaps Littlefinger got Joffrey riled up against the Starks before the King went to Winterfell...

Ah yes that dastardly Littlefinger, I had forgotten about that.

Back