Red Dwarf voyages back to Earth

Hopefully we'll find out about Kristine's death. Hah, bye Kochanski!

I mean...cough...poor woman.

Yea did anyone,apart from Lister,like Kochanski? Those were the dark days of Red Dwarf. Say,hasn't Grant Naylor split and gone their seperate ways now,it just being a Rob Grant production?

Yeah, they had a bit of a falling-out after series 6: Doug Naylor's been doing all the writing since then, and runs Grant Naylor Productions.

As to tonight's ep, I have to admit I wasn't overly taken with it. Most of it was mildly amusing, but nothing more than that - and, in spite of the CGI and the big sets, it actually looked...a bit cheap and tatty.

Ah, well. Hopefully it'll pick up over the next two nights.

There was definitely a...feeling...about the entire episode so it just didn't seem quite right. Like a picture that is ever so slightly wonky...you can't quite see it but you know it is.

But then again, they couldn't have completely and faithfully recreated the old Red Dwarf no matter how hard they tried. Some of the humour seemed a little forced, as if they were trying to get those great one lines, similes and metaphors that made the programme so hilarious back in the day but not quite managing it. Maybe it's just because it's the first one...just getting warmed up, after ten or so years.

Gotta love the Dwarf still, though.

I don't think it was helped by the fact that Dave have been showing some classic eps as well. Seeing Gunmen and Quarantine again reminded me how good the series used to be, and I guess I felt a little let down when the new show didn't quite hit the same heights.

And, while I don't particularly miss Chloe Annett's Kochanski, I do think Holly's a big miss - in either incarnation.

Yeah, my mum commented on how I was laughing much more at the classic episodes afterwards than at Back to Earth.

Lister doesn't seem too different -- a little older and wiser seeming, though, I think. But then he was always the more moralistic type character.
Kryten doesn't have the disadvantage like the others of looking older!
Rimmer I still love to bits, though, and he didn't disappoint me in tonight's episode. Good old, cowardly, neurotic Rimmer...

Something I oddly missed though, and something I was talking about with Icefyre and Sloweye on Facebook who also agreed, was the canned laughter. I generally hate canned laughter, but I really did notice the lack of it in the episode...

Something I oddly missed though, and something I was talking about with Icefyre and Sloweye on Facebook who also agreed, was the canned laughter. I generally hate canned laughter, but I really did notice the lack of it in the episode...
Funny, the things you miss. It was about a minute in, when Lister was ironing his sneeze, when I realised the canned laughter wasn't there. I was sitting, waiting for the "Eeeew!" from the "audience" and it seemed really odd when it didn't materialise.

You're right about Craig Charles, too. The guy just doesn't seem to age! I mean, he's in his mid-40s now and yet he could probably pass for half that. Actually, it's just plain weird to think that they're all middle aged now. And still larking about like a bunch of kids. Good on 'em.:D:p

Yeah, great job! I always envy the Top Gear guys...they get paid to lark about and have a great laugh and do stupid stuff.

I think I noticed it at about that point. It just started seeming a little too quiet!

I missed the first seven minutes of the programme so I wasn't entirely sure what was going on. I'm going to have to watch it again later.

One thing -- can you kill a hologram? Especially in Hard Light, I got the feeling that in the Legion episode, it was made to sound pretty indestructible. I know smashing the light bee would effectively kill the hologram, but could you get to it through the hard light?

Or maybe something large like the impact of a car is enough to cause some serious damage!

Love the Starbug SmartCar. Love it. I love SmartCars anyway, and now I've found the perfect one. WANT IT!

Yes to Smeg ups!

Hmm. Lots and lots and lots of fourth-wall breaking, fairly indifferent Blade Runner parody, and fernangling with "metaphysics". Plus lots of plugging for a ninth series. And hinting that Kochanski might come back if there is a ninth series. Oh, and presumably a bit of a cameo for Doug Naylor in the next ep.

*shakes head*

The kids on the bus were funny, though.

OK, I'm all up to date with it now.

I see the parts about commenting on the genre itself. The bit about the psy (psi?) scanner was amusing, and the device of exposition. But that's becoming a device in itself, really, that you know you can't possibly know all that you do, so you mock the ability to do so. And the comments about it being a three parter and all the rest -- a little contrived, but amusing nonetheless!

Why can't Kristine just stay dead!

Seeing as these are specials, and ten years after the original series, I've accepted that they are going to be just that -- special, and not just recreating those classic scripts and situations of old. The ever twisting plot and the links to the real world as we've been seeing it in the run-up to these specials, certainly hints that something good's going to come out of the final episode tomorrow night (oh, how I hope it's going to be something very good!) and I'm really starting to enjoy the plot, and can deal with the not so laugh-out-loud moments of old.

As a whole I'm enjoying it so far. I think that they adapted to the fact that they are fictional characters a little too easily though.
Am I the only one to notice that the scene with Kryten and the cast photo was parodying the bits of CSI where they get the killer by enhancing the reflection on someones eyeball-type thing?
Seems I was right on the plot idea from reading a three line synopsis of the special, but I like the fact that they are using the genre clich[FONT=&quot]és as tools to advance the plot since the episodes are so short and the story could almost take a series to pan out properly.
[/FONT]

I loved the photo bit, that was very funny! I do like how they're ripping into things like that. Centring in on a drop of moisture, indeed...Heh.

Considering all the many, many things they've been through (seems like every week they got into some knew and crazy adventure, you might say!) and now they've found themselves back on earth all of a sudden and wrapped up in this "too weird for words" situation (as everyone but Kryten (I think) has said so far) then finding that they're just fictional characters is just another part of the whole outlandish affair.

I'd probably be a little more than miffed, though.

Science fiction shop part was rather amusing. "Take a guess....noo...noo...noo...Who? (everyone looks hopeful)...noo...(faces fall)"

Double posting. Bad me.

Better say beware if you haven't watched it yet and don't want to know any spoilers.

Yup, I did laugh.

That was pretty good. Not outstandingly brilliant, knock-you-socks-off, but still pretty good. I liked the plot, although it was starting to twist all over the place by the end, and it's kind of a shame that it was all caused by an...Elation(?) Squid. It was a kind of weird mix of Better Than Life and all the other episodes where they end up in a seemingly real world.

I liked the bit in Coronation Street and Steve McDonald is rather amusing. And Craig Charles' little dig at himself about going back to the Priory. Heh. And all the characters' attempt at a Northern accent. Har.

There's a definite opening for a series if they wanted it. Like how they hinted in the previous episode about series nine being where Lister goes off to search for Kristine, and his declaration that he'll track her down (you're too good for her, Lister, give her up).

I liked it. It was plot-driven and not quite as funny as old, but as three extra special specials, I liked it. I may have to watch the three episodes back-to-back tomorrow.