Red Dwarf voyages back to Earth

Heebie

Cult comedy Red Dwarf is returning to TV, 21 years after its initial launch.
The show has been resurrected by digital channel Dave for a two-part Easter weekend special, which sees the cast finally return to Earth.
Written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator Doug Naylor, the new show reunites the line-up, including Coronation Street's Craig Charles.
The hit show, which ran for eight series on BBC Two between 1988 and 1999, won an International Emmy award.
'No holds barred'
Set three million years into the future, the show followed the exploits of Dave Lister, slovenly crew member of the mining ship Red Dwarf - and the last man in the universe.
He was joined in his weekly attempts to make it back to Earth by a cast of oddballs including human hologram Arnold Rimmer, sanitation mechanoid Kryton and Cat - a preening half-man, half-animal who evolved from the ship's cat.
At its peak, Red Dwarf pulled in around eight million viewers and was broadcast in more than 25 countries.
It has sold more than seven million DVDs and videos.
The new two-part series Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will be followed by a "no holds barred" episode without sets, special effects or autocue.
The weekend will climax with Red Dwarf: the Making of Back to Earth, a behind-the-scenes special from the new episodes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm

I saw an advert for new Red Dwarf today on Dave. Very excited about this :)

Fri 10th - Sun 12th at 9pm I will be metaphorically glued to my telly! Very much looking forward to this. Many kippers have been smoked waiting for the return of the 'Boys from the Dwarf'.

Been a few adverts on Dave now -- started with brief glimpses of each character, apparently giving out a distress signal, and now up to the more actiony ones with the SmartCar Starbug (which is absolutely smegging brilliant).

REALLY looking forward to this.

I never understood why they cancelled the show in the first place; nor why the BBC hasn't brought it back. Perhaps if this goes well it will lead to a new series.

(I think DAVE is linked in some way to the BBC.)

I never understood why they cancelled the show in the first place; nor why the BBC hasn't brought it back. Perhaps if this goes well it will lead to a new series.

(I think DAVE is linked in some way to the BBC.)

Well i think Craig Charles being in prison way back kinda put a dampener on things,and when he came out he was involved in Robot Wars and that japanese show. Oh and Dave is partly owned by the BBC as it used to be part of UKTV which is owned by the BBC

Well, it's not to hard to see why the cancelled it in the first place. Red Dwarf had been on the decline since series 6 (once they lost Red Dwarf and were stuck on Starbug). It declined further in series 7 when they lost Rimmer and gained Kachanksi. The final series where the crew were resurrected was abysmal, almost painful to watch at times. Even the return of Rimmer wasn't enough to rescue it.

The last episode was such a terrible way to end the whole story and for that reason (if nothing else) I'm glad they have done some more episodes. I just hope they give it good ending and put it to bed. Let's just hope that they do a good job. It almost worries me that there's such a big budget for their return; it seemed in the past almost as if the quality of the show was inversly related to their budget.

I don't imagine this will lead to a new series since bringing the crew back to earth finally represents the culmination of all their efforts. What would be the point of carrying on after that? No, as much as I loved Red Dwarf, I think it's probably best that they conclude it properly and concentrates on comming up with something new.

I kinda agree with Fried Egg there. End on a high note not a bum note.
I hope Grant Naylor come up with something new-their books are rather good!

Just for the record, Craig Charles was accused of rape. He spent eighteen months on remand before the five minutes in court that it took the judge to dismiss all charges.

After that, I wouldn't've been able to put my heart into a new series of RD either.:rolleyes:

Yeah, the programme did seem to suffer in the later episodes. I didn't like Kristine at all, she was very annoying at times, and Rimmer was always the best character.

Speaking of annoying characters; there seem to be a few extra characters appearing the new episodes, and Rimmer's new 'enemy', apparently another higher ranking hologram from some of the things I've seen, is played by Big Suze from Peep Show (anyone who watched it will know who that is). I don't really like her in Peep Show, but I shouldn't make any hasty opinions of how she'll be in Red Darf, I guess.

Notice that Dave has a little sign in the corner now, counting down the days to the new episodes. Woot.

Woot indeed, Hoops. I'm all a-flutter with excitement.:D

On the gap between series 6 and 7: although Craig Charles' arrest obviously had an impact, it was also around this time that Rob Grant and Doug Naylor had their rather messy professional break-up, and it was only once Naylor had secured the rights to carry on that series 7 was made.

I really hope that this is a huge success. It may pave the way for a new series. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see this on this occasion, but knowing Dave, it'll be repeated soon. (Possibly on the BBC too?)

I can't wait for this to come back! Will be weird seeing them all looking older though... Although I think Danny pretty much looks the same!

I am far too excited to see the new episodes.

Unfortunetely, I have this sneaking suspicion that it will not live up to any expectations....

Just saw the longest advert for this so far (that I've personally seen). Looks very dramatic. Sets aren't so wobbly, small, and generally makeshift (not that I really ever noticed such in the older episodes anyway -- it was all about the comedy and the characters), mainly because there seems to be much more CGI. I hope they don't go over the top with it...

Still loving the SmartCar Starbug. I want one.

Solid sets, you say? Is there any chance that they're planning to make more episodes?

From the stuff up on the Dave website it looks like the boys are up for making more. Chris Barrie even talks about hope for a movie.I've read the short synopsis for the episodes and think I've worked out the basic plot of the specials - anyone seen the League of Gentleman film? Of course, I could be brimming over with wrongability, so I shall say no more.

Just watching it now (after a really horrible hour or so earlier when Dave wasn't working, luckily it's back now. I think I would've smashed something (probably the tv) if it hadn't have come back...) First impressions: I think it's started to warm up, with all the characters on screen now; it's like the actors are slipping back into their old comfy characters and warming up into them (except for Rimmer who's just perfect all the time!)

I think part of the Red Dwarf magic has been lost by the fancy sets; it seems to be detracting something from the characters themselves when in these more complicated sets. I don't like how the Skutter has been CGI-ed.

LOL - OK, this water tank bit is hilarious.

Mind you, the bigger sets really do give you the sense that they're in a re-he-he-heally big ship.

Did anyone notice the photo in the frame? The scene where Lister was at Kochanski's grave. There were 2 photos,one of Kochanski and a guy with curly hair and a beard,looking a little like Iain M Banks. Anyone see it?

Yeah, saw the other photo, although didn't recognise it.

Hopefully we'll find out about Kristine's death. Hah, bye Kochanski!

I mean...cough...poor woman.

And Big Suze certainly impressed me...nothing like I expected.