Wild speculation thread* Possible spoilers*

Could be, or it could have been on my 3rd or 4th read through/listen to of Storm Front. =)

You are quite correct, Highlander II, about Morgan. He has great courage and internal integrity. He is a righteous dude, which drives most people up the wall and he sticks to his guns until he is definitely proven wrong or at least the need to rethink his position.

I agree that he has grown in my estimation, as well. We know that he recognizes Harry as having a great integrity and a soft spot for victims. Otherwise, he would never have darkened Harry's doorstep even in extremis. That alone tells us the extent to which Morgan has reevaluated one Harry Dresden, Wizard. Yes, Morgan's sword would have to be Amoracchius. The Katana is not his type of weapon.

I do not see John Marcone as being eligible for a sword. He is an ends justify the means and the vilelness of the means is irrelevant to him. That pretty well disavows his eligibility in my mind.

I have very mixed emotions about Karrin being a weilder of Fidlelacchius. She is a small woman. She is strong for a woman her size, but that cuts no ice in hand to hand combat with a dude who is good and will be a lot stronger. She will lose not just once, but virtually every time in real life. I do think that JB is quite aware of this and will not go PC on us.

If women matched up to men, then why do they not box against men, and why do they not compete against men in full contact martial arts? The reason is that they always lose. The same thing is true when it comes to the art of the sword. There is a good reason why the Naginata was the weapon of women. It is a standoff weapon, but if the opponent gets inside, you are dead. The caveat is that if it is used as a pointy quarterstaff, then she has a chance against any swordsman. A quarterstaff user will wipe out almost any swordsman.

Size and strength matter. :)

Ahh, but as Sanya says of her: "Tiny... but fierce."

If I recall, one of the keys to many martial arts is knowing your strengths. I've never been trained, so this is all hearsay. And Murphy is well aware that she is mostly out-matched in nearly any fight. However, the fact that she has this knowledge is a power in and of itself. She *knows* that she's out-classed. However, she also knows that the other guy is going to underestimate her power in using her abilities wisely.

Actually, even MacGyver demonstrated this one - RDA flipped Chris Judge in a football-type move in one episode (well, could've been stunt guys, but same principle) - smaller guy sent bigger guy flying b/c of smaller guy's center of gravity being lower.

Similar set-up w/ Murphy fighting Denarians. Technically, Michael and Sanya shouldn't win either, based on laws of physics - they don't have nearly the strength of the Fallen. But the swords 'even the odds'. So if Murphy did take up the sword, the sword would level the playing field and allow her to fight the Denarians the same way Michael and Sanya do. (Harry mentions this at the end of "Small Favor".)

So it's not all about size and skill, there's God in the mix too. Sort of the Knights of the Cross wildcard stepping in there against the Fallen.

However, this doesn't alter my opinion that I don't think Murphy should get one of the swords b/c I think it's too obvious. I won't be horribly upset if it happens, it's just not on the top of my list of 'things I wanna see happen in the books'. =)

I'm sort of hoping for Murphy to take up a sword...don't know yet, sometimes I think she won't but then it seems so right some how. Look at her "true visage" when Harry looks at her with his insight. In marshal arts size can be used to your advantage. Sme would also know that when when out classed in size or strength.. the first blow has to be, decisive.

Size and strength do matter to a point. But so do skill, technique, knowledge and balance, along with pressure points, joint locking and a myriad of other little things.

Do you honestly think a woman will lose everytime? Have you ever fought a well trained woman?

Are you saying a woman will lose to a man, just because she's a woman and he's a man?

I had meant to point out that Murphy had kicked Harry's butt on several occasions. =)

Sorry, should have specified, that was more of a question for The44. :eek:

I don't think he's saying that a man will win because he's a man but that is kind of what it was sounding like and I was just curious if that is what he really thought :p.

All of my comments apply to a man with comparable training. Harry is a wimp when it comes to physical combat.

Yes, a man will always win over a woman because he is stronger pound for pound than any woman.

Karrin Murphy is about 5 feet tall maybe plus an inch. Her weight is likely no more than 110 to 115 pounds. Harry was being polite to not punch her lights out. However, her aikido training makes her very dangerous to an unskilled opponent.

If Karrin were to go up against a man of comparable weight in a full contact dojo, she would have her *** handed to her almost all of the time, assuming comparable skill levels.

When it comes to swords, strength and size matter. This is why I have stated that Amoracchius is totally unsuited for anyone of her size and weight. The katana, Fidlelacchius is more suited to a hit and run style which is about the only style that would give her the only chance to survive.

Actually, a bo would be a better weapon for a woman. It is a common weapon used in martial arts and is very effective against swords. Hence, my earlier reference to the Naginata.

Give Karrin a sword and ask her to fight a 150 to 200 pound man who knows how to use a sword, and she is dead every time.

Show me where a woman of comparable weight wins in wrestling, boxing, or martial arts. They do not. I am speaking of full contact and not that point system of getting a touch.

You are also assuming similiar skill levels which I didn't catch before, I thought you were just saying she would lose because she was a woman.

But, saying that with similiar skill levels that the weight and power advantage a man would normally have, factors in, makes sense.

Yes, and that is a very important distincion. I watched a 12 year old Japanese girl who was a black belt in Aikido. She was considered to be very dangerous by her sensei. I agree wiht him. She is very young to have good control of her skills. She was also only dangerous to a person who is unskilled in martial arts.

Yes, training matters, a lot. Most fantasy writers tend to way overestiimate the skill and strength and survivability of a female protagonist in a melee battle. In real life, they die, a lot.

I do not know JB's opinion about women in combat, but I believe that is totally wrong. Robert A. Heinlein stated it best. "Any society that does not say women and children first is doomed".

While there was a lot of physical contact between Harry and Mouse, I do not think that the fragment of Lasciel could transfer herself to another being. Especially if that being was non-human. I wonder if there is still a fragment left of the fragment, however. Others think that she is totally gone and only some capabilities on the guitar were left. I am not yet, so sure.

If JB pursues this any further that will give me a clue that she is not completely gone. Failure to ever bring it up again will be further evidence that the fragment is completely gone. :confused:

Lasciel couldn't transfer to Mouse anyway w/o Mouse having touched the coin. As far as we're aware, he never did.

And don't you think he would've spoken up by now if he had? XD

Not sure, I was just thinking there is more to Mouse than meets the eye. I think he has more of a role to play and was wondering what it could be...

We know Mouse is special he's a temple dog...who was supposed to go back to the monks when he was a pup. BUT...he chose to stow away in the Blue Beetle when his family went back. It may be another one of the "destiny things" that keep raising their heads.

Yep, a 200 pound "mouise" is not one to mess with. He is very durable. He has suffered bumps and bruises that would have incapacited if not killed and recovered very quickly. Yes, special, indeed. Yes, it was fatum indeed.

This a post having read TurnCoat. I think that Harry will learn more about the use of soul power. The skinwalker indicated that Harry's present level of skill was liimited by his lack of faith.

I also expect to see some forward movement about the disposition of the swords in Harry's care. I think one of them will be given out in the next book. If it is anyone we already know, then I pick Fidelacchius for Karrin. It it is someone new, then no clue, obviously.

Just a point to the 44, martial arts are not about strength, they are about subtelty. I refer to the story of the founder of Akido a very small Japanese gentleman who accidentally (well maybe) insulted a Japanese naval officer and master of martial arts. He was challanged to a duel, the officer was allowed a boken by the founder of akido.

The duel ended twelve hours later with an exahusted naval officer unable to continue due to complete exhaustion, he never once laid a finger on this man.

Akido is about using a larger opponents speed and strength against them. Trust me size is totally irrelevant. As to sword play I seem to remmber one of the holders of the swords wasnt much bigger than Murphy. Smaller fighters use speed and cunning, getting under a larger opponents reach. Plus let s not forget that if Karin takes up the sword she will have help.

I am still convinced of my uber theory. Only the strong will survive or not :D