Ten Sci-Fi Flicks for the Thinking Man

I seem to be in a minority here: I've seen all of the films on the list. Maybe I really am a thinking man :)

Planet of the Apes (1968) - entertaining, but I wouldn't call it a classic, or even a film that requires a great deal of thought

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - an excellent film, definitely belongs on any list of sf classic films

Solaris (1972) - this is a film that's going to sort the men from the boys - it's 2 hrs 45 mins long, is partly in black and white, and its pacing is typical of Tarkovsky - i.e., glacial. Worth it because Tarkovsky always is.

Sleeper (1973) - saw it many years ago, can't stand Woody Allen, so no desire to see it again.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - not a big fan of Spielberg either, although this one does have its moments. I suspect it's long past its sell-by date though.

Blade Runner (1982) - still holds up even today. And the final cut is the best version of it available. I say "final" but who knows...

Gattaca (1997) - thought this was a bit dull when I watched.

Dark City (1998) - an excellent film that seemed to slip below most people's radar when it was released.

Primer (2004) - very clever, often confusing, but probably one of the smartest time-travel films ever made.

Children of Men (2006) - the book was rubbish, the film is a great deal better. It never quite recovers from the shock opening, however.

I seem to be in a minority here: I've seen all of the films on the list. Maybe I really am a thinking man :)

Planet of the Apes (1968) - entertaining, but I wouldn't call it a classic, or even a film that requires a great deal of thought

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - an excellent film, definitely belongs on any list of sf classic films

Solaris (1972) - this is a film that's going to sort the men from the boys - it's 2 hrs 45 mins long, is partly in black and white, and its pacing is typical of Tarkovsky - i.e., glacial. Worth it because Tarkovsky always is.

Sleeper (1973) - saw it many years ago, can't stand Woody Allen, so no desire to see it again.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - not a big fan of Spielberg either, although this one does have its moments. I suspect it's long past its sell-by date though.

Blade Runner (1982) - still holds up even today. And the final cut is the best version of it available. I say "final" but who knows...

Dark City (1998) - an excellent film that seemed to slip below most people's radar when it was released.

Primer (2004) - very clever, often confusing, but probably one of the smartest time-travel films ever made.

Children of Men (2006) - the book was rubbish, the film is a great deal better. It never quite recovers from the shock opening, however.

Not often Ian and I agree on things!:p Here, however, we're pretty close. I would disagree slightly on Planet of the Apes, as it does require some thought, and I would call it a classic -- at least, a qualified classic. And I'd say it holds up well under repeated viewings.

2001 is a film I've always very much liked, and frankly I find that it grows with each viewing. It also hits me more emotionally with each viewing -- something that is very rare.

I would definitely recommend Tarkovsky's Solaris, though it does have that "glacial" quality. Nonetheless, it impressed me mightily, and that final image simply took my breath away (not only intrinsically, but for the implications....)

Close Encounters -- I enjoyed it on first viewing, but it hasn't held up all that well; though I do think there are still some wonderful moments there, and it does require more thought than most such eye-candy.

I'm not a big fan of Woody Allen, but I did enjoy Sleeper -- and yes, it is a good satire.

Gattaca -- a seriously flawed film, and the pacing is slower than need be; it also has logical holes you could drive an eighteen-wheeler through. But ultimately it is an optimistic film about the triumph of the human spirit, and on that level it does deliver, I think.

On the whole, however, despite some minor differences, I have to stand with Ian on this one... something we'd better both mark down, as it's unlikely to happen again anytime soon....;)

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here too, Ian. Though I have not yet seen Primer. But about Dark City: Can't agree there. I loved it right up until the end, when the producers decided to give it an ending where the main character could not lose. Right up until then, great images, cool plot, creepy characters, innovative sets. Then they make their character who was on the run the entire time a god with superpowers so strong that he only has to think of some mind blast and teh bad guys go bye-bye. Weak ending that ruined the film and everything that it stood for up until that moment. I have never understood how this one has stood up so long, with an ending that is just so epicly bad.

And Children of Men (the book)? Not the best for entertainment value, but I think that she succeeded brilliantly with what she set out to do. I will probably re-read it at some point. Loved the movie. That scene where the war stops for a few moments because of the presence of a baby has literally brought a tear to my eye every time I watch it. I completely believe that babies have that power, and watching that scene takes my breath away.

You know, I have sensed a lot of effort over the last few years to elevate Planet of the Apes, both the movies and the Boulle book; and even that monstrous piece of crap that Marky Mark (a pox on him and his ilk) made. I liked the book, but the movie never struck me as much more than camp. True, the costumes were cool. But so what?

Well, actually, I have seen all on the list except Solaris and Primer. I find myself wanting to see them both very much now.

Sorry, BookStop. We kind of snuck in a few titles that weren't in the list. There's a couple in those stowaways that at least I think are thoughtful, and a couple that are a little thoughtful but immensely fun to watch. Others, of course, I didn't much care for at all. And all of our opinions varied on the subjects, of course, but if they didn't this thread would have become very boring very quickly.

You know, I have sensed a lot of effort over the last few years to elevate Planet of the Apes, both the movies and the Boulle book; and even that monstrous piece of crap that Marky Mark (a pox on him and his ilk) made. I liked the book, but the movie never struck me as much more than camp. True, the costumes were cool. But so what?

I am not sure the film needed much elevation. It was very well recieved when it was released and did manage to breakthrough the mainstream wall. It is however a film of its time, the old guard resisting new knowledge. A very interesting civil rights theme, and religious overtones. The passage of 40 years could easily dull these concepts for modern viewers

And it was immesurably better than that rubbish served up as a remake.

The novel, well I read that before seeing the film. I recall it being a good read, but I was pretty young then lol, a little less jaded than I am now

Oh, you're not kidding, are you? I read the Piers Anthony novelization, and I was okay with it since I like Piers Anthony. Now I'm disappointed, and I will have to find the original story. If Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is any indication, I'm betting "We Can Do It For You Wholesale" is pretty good. Incidentally, do you also know the name of the story on which Minority Report was based?

Minority Report short story is actually similar to the movie, Spielberg actually tried capture parts of the short unlike Total Recall and its short story.

We Can Do It For Wholesale is better than the lame Arnold movie but its not one of PKD stronger short stories.

Go for Minority Report instead.

I would have to replace Solaris (which I think is crap in the OG and Clooney versions) with ... I don't know, anything but Donnie Darko. I don't think there ever was a worse movie. Ever, than Donnie Darko.

Minority Report is OK, but I wasn't too impressed. Plus, the only Tom Cruise flicks I can stand to watch were made before my kids were born...and they are teenagers...

Gattaca was freaking awesome. I love that movie, and I can even get past that terrible actor kid...whatever his name is, who can't act. Actually nobody in that movie can act, but I love the story.

There are people in the modern world who have not seen planet of the apes? (even the Whalberg remake?) Holy criminolies batman! There oughtta be a law.

2001 A Space---No, the ending makes no sense. HAL gave me nightmares. Seriously.

Sleeper I have never heard of, gasp, but I don't like Woody Allen anyways. (GASP! psst...I don't like Elvis's music, either.)

Close Encounters, Blade Runner, and Dark City are all great flicks that really make you question your reality.

I never wanted to watch Primer and I won't ever watch it because it looks like a stupid movie (as was being john malchovich...seriously people, get a clue). However, the name reminds me of Prime, which is a freaking awesome movie, if really really really slow, and is a thinking WOMAN"S movie so nananananana ;)

Children of Men made me so very sad. It also made me clutch my uterus and thank the almightyuniversalparadimensionalbeing I refer to as God that I had my babies in a hospital.

Hmm...I'm still pondering what I would replace Solaris with. I'd rather see Soylent Green or Andromeda Strain (yes, I know it was from a book), Omega Man (book, yes, I know too, and no will smith version), or Twelve Monkeys (don't say it, I already know, but Bruce Willis can do no wrong in my eyes because I've been in love with him since I was 12). I always thought that Fortress was a good movie that really spoke volumes about society (Thomas Jefferson said that you can judge a society by its prisoners), but thats a b rated crap movie most people wouldn't bother watching (not the australian teacher one, I mean the Lambert one). I'd also like to submit Day of the Animals and Toxic Avenger (hey, if someone can put Darko on there....lol).

What is that movie that was like sci fi western on the other planet and there was the creepy guy with the patch over his eye? It was like, all 'how the west was won' but with aliens? That was a good flick, but didn't really make one think too much I guess so it wouldn't count, I guess, but I was thinking about thinking about the movie and now I don't know the name of it.

Yes, I've had coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PS: I wonder if it weren't for the psycho fanboy/girls, would Matrix have made this list? It had a stronger plot and made more sense than most of the movies on that list, and even tho Keanu reminds me of a creepy stalker type, it was a really interesting idea, ok well it was an interesting mingle of a lot of different ideas that they called original, but most sci fi flicks are.

Well, actually, I have seen all on the list except Solaris and Primer. I find myself wanting to see them both very much now.

Please don't see Primer............I never should have created this thread :(

Actually, okay fine. Let's make Primer the next Sci-Fi movie club flick. Go out and see it everybody, then come back and tell us all what you think. I'd love to see those poll results! :rolleyes:

Moving onnnnn...

I still can't get over Sci-Fi fans on a dedicated Sci-Fi forum lauding I, Robot and The Island. I just don't understand that at all...

I did like Minority Report very much though. Just caught the second half recently...those jetpack scenes looked really bad to my 2009 eyes...but the rest was still a lot of fun.

Total Recall was great in its day. A lot of the effects were and are really cool. But a lot of the animatronics and mutant alien stuff looks horrendous now. A lot of cool gadgets, a great concept, and still a pretty decent sci-fi thriller bloodbath.

Speaking of sci-fi bloodbaths. I love the hell out of RoboCop and remember RoboCop 2 fondly (though it's been a long while since I saw the 2nd). RoboCop actually did have a couple of cool ideas inbetween the awesome violence and humour.

And then...I was really appalled when I saw the end battle of Iron Man blatantly BLATANTLY AND COMPLETELY rip off the end battle of Robocop 2.

So I'm watching as...little unarmed bi-ped cyborg guy battles big bi-ped cyborg guy with gatling guns on his arms. Hand-to-hand action ensues. Little unarmed bi-ped cyborg guy ends up on big bi-ped cyborg guy's back.....and then I just went into a fit of "what the hell???". It was alright up until then, mostly because of Robert Downey Junior's humour. Really great stuff from him. Also, the movie took forever to get going. Felt like they were in that cave for an hour. Not to mention...I understand they want a PG rating and everything; but it seemed like there were SO many "just off-screen kills" to the point that it was distracting to me.

RoboCop > Iron Man

Twelve Monkeys was awesome. Haven't seen that in a long time. It's on the DVR though, so that's good news to me. It's the only non-Python film I didn't hate from Terry Gilliam. Brazil I almost like but can't quite...and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I think was fun for a while before it spirals out of control until it's just a big unwatchable mess, as all Gilliam films are. He should have been a camera guy or special effects guy. His films always look cool, but he's a **** director. I like to think Guillermo del Toro is what Gilliam has spent his career trying, and failing, to be: someone who makes really strangely beautiful looking films...that people enjoy watching.

And now it sounds like he's going forward with his Don Quixote movie? Note to Mr. Gilliam: Wake up man! God himself destroyed your chances the first time. Take the hint! Please step away from the camera!!!

Total Recall was great in its day. A lot of the effects were and are really cool. But a lot of the animatronics and mutant alien stuff looks horrendous now. A lot of cool gadgets, a great concept, and still a pretty decent sci-fi thriller bloodbath.

We agree on something. Good film, although the effects have dated badly. Not sure I'd describe it as a "bloodbath", though.

Dark City is getting re-released with an additional 14 minutes and director commentary. I liked the original and will probably pickup the new version too.

Would Forbidden Planet make anyone's top ten list for the thinking (wo)man?

In his essay, The Heart in Conflict, G.R.R. Martin says that his favourite science fiction film of all time is, as he calls it, The Tempest on Altair-4.

(And it certainly has a lot of thinking in it. ;))

Dark City is getting re-released with an additional 14 minutes and director commentary. I liked the original and will probably pickup the new version too.

I think the oldest film on the list points to a bit of bias from the people who created it. Forbidden Planet most definately, the original "Day The Earth Stood Still as well"

The original Thing has a lot to recommend it as well. The script and direction, special effects aside, is simply brilliant

I thought Fear and Loathing in Vegas was a movie about dropping too many hits of acid?

Thing definitely has to be on my top ten. I love that movie.

Oooooooooh I know what definitely has, absolutely HAS to be on there...

The Abyss.

Absolutely marvelous film. Its got psycho military dudes, an unknown environment, new sciences, water breathing rats, and big weird creatures.

I thought Fear and Loathing in Vegas was a movie about dropping too many hits of acid?

Yeah it was. I was just going off on a tangent while going off on Gilliam.

There's an awesome Sci-Fi/Fantasy site I just found:

Sci-Fi Lists - Top 100 Sci-Fi Films

It has poll-based top 100 lists for Sci-Fi and fantasy movies, books, short stories and tv shows. And none of them look silly!

The top 10 Sci-Fi movies list looks like this:

1.) Blade Runner
2.) Star Wars Trilogy IV-VI (1977-1983)
3.) The Matrix
4.) Alien
5.) 2001: A Space Odyssey
6.) Aliens
7.) The Terminator
8.) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
9.) The Fifth Element
10.) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
11.) Twelve Monkeys
12.) Planet of the Apes (1968)

I added Twelve Monkeys and Planet of the Apes because I don't think it's fair for the Terminator and Alien franchises to take up 2 spots.

I've seen all of those except for Blade Runner (will I ever get to see it???) and not sure I've seen all of Planet of the Apes.

I've always thought the Matrix was overrated. Some pretty CGI action sequences and the rest is nonsense (and the sequels proved me right). But I'm absolutely floored that The Fifth Element makes the top 10.

From that list...probably only Blade Runner, 2001 and Day the Earth Stood Still would be classified as "Thinking Man" flicks. I guess it depends on what the hell you define it as in the first place. I guess the opposite of an action-packed thrill-ride. 2001 and Day the Earth Stood Still definitely aren't that, so I guess they're "Thinking Man" by default.

I actually prefer the remake of The Thing ('Man is the warmest place to hide'). But then again I like Kurt....

Oh, oh - is it true that in Total Recall the original cut went straight from Arnie going under to get his secret-agent implant to him waking up in the JonnyCab? The rest of the film then matches his memory synopsis (Kill the bad guys, save the planet and get the girl) and the reality of it is never resolved.

The reality of Total Recall is never resolved in the released version of the film, and I doubt if the sort of cut you're describing exists at all. Paul Verhoeven clearly intended to shoot and use all the footage in between.

There's an awesome Sci-Fi/Fantasy site I just found:
It has poll-based top 100 lists for Sci-Fi and fantasy movies, books, short stories and tv shows. And none of them look silly!
2.) Star Wars Trilogy IV-VI (1977-1983)
Silliness right there. Star Wars has no real SF value. It's a medieval fairy tale given a futuristic paint job :)