Book Reccomendation: Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)

mygoditsraining

Hi folks.

I did a quick search, couldn't see any mention of this novel, so I thought I'd start a new thread just to enthuse about it. I understand there was some form of great forum crash so it may have been discussed previously, so please forgive me if I'm pacing down a tiresomely over-trodden path.

While on holiday, I read a copy of John Ajdvide Lindqvist's 2004 vampire novel, as titled above. If you're at all a fan of really uncomfortable horror fiction, then I heartily reccomend it.

Blackeberg is a run-down suburb of Stockholm. Social decrepitude lies heavily on the architecture and the populace. In the course of the novel, Lindqvist creates an astonishingly vivid picture of this grey, miserable existence, the half-life that people can eke out when ambition fails and circumstances leave them staring into the emptiness of an unfulfilling life. Into this world comes Eli, a 200 year old vampire in the body of a 12 year old, and her...companion, and precipitate a series of escalatingly terrible events.

I'd go on more, but I would spoil a lot of things in the book by trying to describe them. Really, it's just a great read - full of interesting characters, many of whom are sympathetic to a greater or lesser extent, and deeply uncomfortable situations and insights. If you're looking for a light read, it's not here - and the book is all the better for it.

If I had any complaints at all, I felt the ending was a touch abrupt, and thus a little unsatisfying in bringing Oskar's story to a conclusion, and sometimes the author's knowledge of classical literature weighs down the characters with unecessary details.

If you're in America, the novel is called "Let Me In", because the publishers felt the title was too long for the US market.

For anyone interested, there is also a movie of the book, directed by Tomas Alfredson. It will probably get a subtitled release this year, but needless to say given that it won a bunch of awards there is a remake in the pipe for 2010.

I thought Let the Right One In was brilliant! Have you read his second book - Bringing in the Dead?

I didn't know about the book, but I heard that the movie is kind of terrifying/disturbing. It also looks really interesting though. If I see the book around I'll definitely give it a go.

The film is excellent, and I'm not much of a fan of vampire films.

I've read a lot about the film of this recently. All of it was good. This one's definately on my "To Read" pile.

Being in Sweden i have heard alot about this book, i have heard called him a swedish Stephen King not sure if thats a good thing or bad though.

I have bad luck with newer swedish writers and their lack of prose skills. Plus most of the good ones seem to write crime and fantastic fiction outside teenage melodrama in YA doesnt seem to exist.

I'm about due another book haul. I might get this.

I have read 100+ pages of it and i enjoying the story,the characters,the straightforward but a smooth prose that doesnt get in the way of the story. Almost bad name to call him the swedish Stephen King as the media does.....

I like how its so avreage swedish urban life. I have lived almost exactly like Oskar but with two parenst,7 siblings but still. How you play with the kid next door,the place they live in brings back childhood memories.

One thing I fouind strange . While I have not read this or seen the movie, I saw a review of it, and aparently the person had no problem with the kid having a relationship with a several hundred years old woman in the body of a little girl , but if it should be a several hundred year old man, then that becomes a considerable problem all of a sudden .

Reviews can a bit off depending on the reviewer.

The vampire girl is involved with an old 40s man who she uses to hunt for blood for her. Thats a bit twisted since the guy is sick pedophile that is so horny for her young body that he will do anything for her. The best excuse for his sick mind that he knows she is much older but her sweet young body mmm....

Interesting enough i enjoy his part of the story most so far, the guy is so unbalanced.

Conn, the way you ended your second paragraph , well ..... I just find it weird . It somehow is disturbing , I do not know precisely why .

I do thinK Fury of the Film Fan is a profesional movie reviewer as far as they go . Sure, it would be nice to know which movies he hates to watch those first (in all honesty, for entertainmts sake, we do not wanna hear a magnum opus of superlatives and visions of grandeur , we want wholesale degradation) , but he does all kinds of movies so you can tell he's not it in just for the show .

Not because im a wierdo or something because that guy's story is complex and not just some twisted loser that prey on small kids. He is the only one so far who knows what Eli is.

SPOILERS

He works to get blood for her by gutting his victims,draing their blood while its fresh to so it can give her strenght, dead blood is hurtful for her....

I bought the film a couple of weeks ago, but want to wait until the America "Let Me In" version is released before i watch it so that i may compare the two.

I bought the book today and i must say that i'm very much looking forward to this.

I bought the film a couple of weeks ago, but want to wait until the America "Let Me In" version is released before i watch it so that i may compare the two.

I bought the book today and i must say that i'm very much looking forward to this.

Why watch the copy first ? Watch the swedish version first if you are gonna really compare. The swedish style is so different, wont be fare to watch it after the american style of the same movie....

Maybe its only me i dont see the fuss over remakes of the few good swedish genre films.

Anyway the book is darker than the swedish film so you might still want to read after the movies.