Kurt Vonnegut

SDNess

It is about time I read more Vonnegut. I've only read Slaughterhouse Five, and that was over a year ago. Is there any order I should read them in? Which ones are definitely his best?

Dunno other stuff but I read Bluebeard and I found it to be a very ho-hum read.

By him ive read Breakfast of Champions
Cast Cradle
Slaughterhouse Five

Vonnegut's one of those classic SF authors that I have been meaning to read, but haven't quite gotten around to it.

I've read a lot of Vonnegut. Some of it was excellent, some was hard-going. I wouldn't say there was any preferred reading order, however, if you have never read Cat's Cradle before then that is obviously top of the list.

Vonnegut's one of those classic SF authors that I have been meaning to read, but haven't quite gotten around to it.

He's worth reading .

In 1972 they did big screen adaptation of of novel Slaughterhouse Five . The film doesn't quite work.

I really enjoy Vonnegut and alway recommend everyone at least reads Slaughterhouse Five. What I really need to read is Venus on the Half-Shell by Philip Jose Farmer writing as Kilgore Trout.

What I really need to read is Venus on the Half-Shell by Philip Jose Farmer writing as Kilgore Trout.
I'm currently reading, Welcome to the monkey house, a collection of short stories A good read for any short story lovers. I have an original Venus on the half-shell. It was a spoof book and I believed it was the real thing. It has lovely green page edges. The more recent publication has Farmer's name on the cover. It is a sf comedy, a sort of flesh Gordon meets Hitchhikers Guide.

I'm currently reading, Welcome to the monkey house, a collection of short stories A good read for any short story lovers. I have an original Venus on the half-shell. It was a spoof book and I believed it was the real thing. It has lovely green page edges. The more recent publication has Farmer's name on the cover. It is a sf comedy, a sort of flesh Gordon meets Hitchhikers Guide.

I wonder if Douglas Adams was influenced by Vonnegut?

Last edited:
I've read a lot of Vonnegut. Some of it was excellent, some was hard-going. I wouldn't say there was any preferred reading order, however, if you have never read Cat's Cradle before then that is obviously top of the list.

I thought the whole Ice Nine concept in the Cat's Cradle quit nasty.:)

Adams on his literary influences:
Other funny writers, of whom the chief is P.G. Wodehouse, who is, in my opinion, one of the greatest-ever users of the English language -- he's sort of the Mozart of the English language, I think. I particularly admire funny writers, because I know how incredibly difficult it is. Evelyn Waugh is very high up there, and Jane Austen. People have this idea that humor is in some way a sort of lesser emotion, which I don't accept at all. I think that good, funny writing is amongst the finest writing of any type, which is why I think that Wodehouse is one of the finest writers who ever lived.

Futher:
Vonnegut is another favorite of mine. I deliberately put him low on the list, though, because I get embarrassed by people trying to draw comparisons between him and me -- on one very, very superficial level, it's an easy comparison: he writes stuff that is a) funny, and b) uses science fiction to make its points, and I write stuff that is funny and uses science fiction to make its points.

But that's the only level of comparison. Vonnegut is essentially a deeply serious writer. Obviously a major part of his world view, if you like, comes from the experience he describes in Slaughterhouse Five of being a Prisoner of War in Dresden during the fire-bombing. And I don't have any experience like that to draw on, you know, nothing remotely approaching that.

So Vonnegut is essentially a deeply serious writer who uses comedy to make his points, and I am essentially a comic writer who occasionally tries to slip a point about something or other "under the counter," so to speak, and so from that point of view, I find the comparison embarrassing because he's a great writer, and I think I'm essentially a frivolous one, I'm afraid.

I've lost the link to the full article.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Who influenced Douglas Adams? - BBC Sounds

Last edited:
Adams on his literary influences:

Futher:

I've lost the link to the full article.

Great stuff Vince.:cool: (y)

I wonder if they ever met face to face . Both brilliant men , Image the kinds of conversations those two would have had? . I would love to have been in the room for that one. :)