What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I'm currently playing Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights, which is pretty good. I've really gotten into metroidvanias in the past year and a bit, and while I don't think I'll love any as much as Hollow Knight, I've had a lot of fun.

I also started playing Final Fantasy 9 over Christmas and need to get back to it. I have a bad habit of playing RPGs for a while and then drifting to something else, which means I have quite a few half-finished RPGs kicking about.
FF9 is hands down my favorite! But it was really difficult, I couldn’t get beyond the Gizamaluk in the grotto. Just like in FFX, I didn’t get beyond the machine (Crawler) after the meeting with Seymour. Our key word back then was training! We call it farming now. I remember when that game came out I had a big crush on Lulu. I had this nice blog on dragid with her wallpaper and all things Lulu.

But still, 9 was my favorite. But the best game I ever played was The Legend of Dragoon. I revisited it just a few years ago, and it was like magic.

Out for my usual morning cycle today. It was just before dawn and I noticed something dark cross the road just in front of me. Radscorpion, I thought. No. It was just a cat. But perhaps it means I need a to take break from Fallout: New Vegas, so I’m currently checking out the latest patch for the excellent Shadow Empire once more. It’s a game I keep coming back to:)

FF9 is hands down my favorite! But it was really difficult, I couldn’t get beyond the Gizamaluk in the grotto. Just like in FFX, I didn’t get beyond the machine (Crawler) after the meeting with Seymour. Our key word back then was training! We call it farming now. I remember when that game came out I had a big crush on Lulu. I had this nice blog on dragid with her wallpaper and all things Lulu.

But still, 9 was my favorite. But the best game I ever played was The Legend of Dragoon. I revisited it just a few years ago, and it was like magic.

I was surprised by how difficult Plant Brain in the forest was, considering it's the first real boss you face. But it's a brilliant game. I haven't had a chance to play X yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it, so hopefully I'll get around to it one of these days.

The Legend of Dragoon looks cool! So many good games to play, so little time...

Ah, I remember that. Yep, the big plant was tougher than might have been expected, but I liked the cool action sequence afterwards.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It's excellent.

Just wrapped up my first playthrough of Subnautica a few years late. Did not expect to get sucked into that world like I did.

Looking at my backlog, next on the docket is likely either Star Wars: Squadrons or Total War: Warhammer II; Squadrons would be a quicker playthrough, but TW:WH3 is less than a month away now. Of course, I should also spend some more time with my budget sim racing rig I spent all that money on. Le sigh.

I liked both of those VC games (not played any others). Probably like the first one more, but the gameplay is better in the latest.
VC2 and VC3 never became as popular as VC and VC4. I wonder why. Maybe it's the platform choice (PSP), or the decision to only release them in Japan for VC3.

It did seem an odd choice for VC, given the original was something of a sleeper hit.

One game I really, really want to be playing right now is Dark Alliance II: Baldur’s Gate. What a great game, I had so much fun transmuting weapons and armor.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It's excellent.

Love those games. Dragonfall was my favourite but HK is, as you say, excellent, too.

To my great surprise I've actually managed to finish a few games recently:

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, which I absolutely adored and loved every bit as much as Ys VIII (which means both now rank among my all-time favourites). Great story and characters, outstanding music, and my favourite non-turn-based combat system in any game(s) - it's so fast and fluid - plus it looks fantastic on pc (do NOT play the Switch version unless there's no alternative)

Eastward which, again, I adored and, like Ys IX, is one of those games I wanted to play again immediately upon finishing it. Loved the story and characters. It got very weird in the final third, which I loved. Looks and sounds lovely and played perfectly on Switch.

Forgotton Anne (their spelling!) which had some clunky movement at times, but had a lovely story, great music, and some of the best voice acting I've heard

The Last Campfire, a story-driven puzzle game by the same company that made No Man's Sky. I actually found it quite moving, not going to lie. The music is wonderful, and the narration by Rachel August is amazing.

and lastly, The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero, which is the 6th game I've played in the series and took me months to complete (I think I played too much of the series in succession so needed to keep taking breaks from it). Still, awesome story, world building and characters. Needless to say, in spite of what I just said, the ending drove me to start the next game, Trails to Azure, immediately :LOL:

Dragonfall was my favourite but HK is, as you say, excellent, too.
Me too! I think Dragonfall just has the edge for me, mainly because I know Germany far better than I know Hong Kong. I really like Shadowrun's take on the settings, and the characterisation is very good. The combat system reminds me of old skirmish games I used to play with miniatures. I wish they'd make more of these, especially since the first one is a weaker by comparison.

I bought Dragonfall and Hong Kong from a GOG sale but still to play them. Sounds like I should get started:)

Shadow of Mordor: Not only is this game very difficult, but every time you die, you get a two-minute cut scene, following which it becomes slightly more difficult. It's bizarre that something with such a fundamental design flaw could make it onto the shelves. The quality of the setting and execution is ruined by stupid design choices. Avoid.

Last edited:
So perhaps I was a little harsh on this, but I would still say that it's a harsh and unforgiving game with a central gimmick that doesn't lend it much. There's climbing, fencing and backstabbing, but it lacks the levity of, say, Assassin's Creed 2, and is mired down with the hero muttering standard Grim Hero Things in the muddy back end of Mordor. The twist, that individual orcs can progress up the ranks and become minor arch-villains as the story goes on, doesn't matter much because all orcs have the same personality. It's okay, and riding a giant hyaena is fun, but not a classic.

I've been playing a bit of Children of Morta. I got it ages ago, played for a while and didn't really click with it. This time, though, I'm rather enjoying it. I'm not very good at it - but I'm enjoying it :LOL: