What Game Are You Currently Playing?

The combat in Wasteland 2 is slightly crude, and certain elements don't feel as if they've been thought through very well. It's good, but it already feels a little bit repetitive, in that fight/upgrade/fight way you see in things like Diabolo. So far, it's enjoyable, but I wonder if I'll make it to the end.

I also had a go at Fallout 3's Point Lookout add-on, which really is great. Very atmospheric and sinister.

Has anyone played a "roguelike" game? I can rarely enjoy video games anymore but there's something about the procedural generation - the randomly generated maps and features giving you something different every time you play - which keeps me hooked. The graphics are often very simple, originally they were all ASCII art, but some are now graphical, using mostly 2d tiles.

I started with the classic game NetHack, and now I'm playing Caves of Qud (god knows how it's pronounced...), a more modern roguelike with a post apocalyptic, science fantasy setting, and it really shows the development these kind of games have gone through over the decades. Stone Soup, UnReal World and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (the detail in this one blows my mind) are some other fantastic examples of the genre, the latter two being hyper-realistic survival games, and much too challenging for me right now, especially as, like most roguelikes, permadeath is a feature. I've enjoyed what I've been able to do with them so far though.

I've only scratched the surface really but during a time in my life where I'm bombarded with depression it's a kind of solace to find something enjoyable to get lost in.

I've just finished Half Life: Alyx. If you don't want to play a game that ruins all other games, don't play this. An absolute masterpiece of immersion.

Has anyone played a "roguelike" game? I can rarely enjoy video games anymore but there's something about the procedural generation - the randomly generated maps and features giving you something different every time you play - which keeps me hooked. The graphics are often very simple, originally they were all ASCII art, but some are now graphical, using mostly 2d tiles.

I started with the classic game NetHack, and now I'm playing Caves of Qud (god knows how it's pronounced...), a more modern roguelike with a post apocalyptic, science fantasy setting, and it really shows the development these kind of games have gone through over the decades. Stone Soup, UnReal World and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (the detail in this one blows my mind) are some other fantastic examples of the genre, the latter two being hyper-realistic survival games, and much too challenging for me right now, especially as, like most roguelikes, permadeath is a feature. I've enjoyed what I've been able to do with them so far though.

I've only scratched the surface really but during a time in my life where I'm bombarded with depression it's a kind of solace to find something enjoyable to get lost in.
I played Darkest Dungeon some years ago, and Dead Cells a while ago. They're great, if not awfully frustrating (you die a lot and have to restart :ROFLMAO:)

Hades is a roguelike game that won pretty much every single prize last year. It's out on Playstation now, so I'm waiting for a generous sale :whistle: .

I played Darkest Dungeon some years ago, and Dead Cells a while ago. They're great, if not awfully frustrating (you die a lot and have to restart :ROFLMAO:)

Hades is a roguelike game that won pretty much every single prize last year. It's out on Playstation now, so I'm waiting for a generous sale :whistle: .
I might try Darkest Dungeon at some point, I know it's popular. I tend to go with the top down roguelikes inspired by the classic style, but I'll keep an open mind. I do love a good dungeon crawl.

I can't count the number of hours I've spent playing Nethack. It was a serious addiction for a while.

I've been playing Abzu. You are a diver, who seems to be a woman but might be a robot, and you explore an underwater world. It's basically Journey under the sea, and while it's not clear what I'm actually trying to do, it's relaxing and the graphics are beautiful. Journey helped keep me sane during last year's heatwave, and hopefully Abzu will help in 2021.
Given that that game was obviously made especially for me, it seems odd that nobody thought to inform me about it till now.

Going to give X-COM Apocalypse a break. All of a sudden, the aliens are much, much more difficult to deal with. The UFOs come in swarms and it’s really hard trying to shoot them down. On the ground they now have personal shields (and a seemingly unlimited number of action points). I’ve been trying to take them out without causing damage to the shields so I can research them. Even if I manage to drop a few with stun grenades, it takes so long to find and deal with the rest of the incursion that the stunned ones are regaining consciousness and rejoining the fray when I’m badly hurt and almost out of ammo.

It’s costing mea lot of bodies and I still haven’t managed to recover one shield. Rage quit is becoming the norm. I need something soothing to play.

It’s costing mea lot of bodies and I still haven’t managed to recover one shield. Rage quit is becoming the norm. I need something soothing to play.

May not be your thing but I had a nice time with Loop Hero - a sort of tile placement rogue-like. I didn't find it particularly difficult and did end up killing God three times and gettng most of the achievements.

Never heard of Loop Hero. Might check it out. I don’t mind rogue-like now and then (although my purchases in that area tend to be spaceship based…FTL and Smugglers sort of thing).

Ditto Caves Of Qud. I see this one is still in development but it does look like a potential buy.

I checked out the review of Loop Hero in Rock Paper Shotgun and it‘s pretty positive. I see that it can be set as an auto-battler…ie. the computer can battle itself. It would be nice if some programmer did this in such a way that it would cause the PC to rage-quit and give it a taste of its own medicine;)

Last edited:
For some bizarre reason I decided to try out Game Pass for PC as there are some games on there that I've been interested in for a while so thought it might be a good way to try them out.

First up, Control. Loaded up, started, crashed. Thereafter wouldn't get past the splash screen. This is, apparently, unique to the Game Pass version.

Next, Jedi Fallen Order. For this you need to link your Game Pass account to your EA account. The only problem being that I apparently linked my EA account and Xbox Live account many moons ago on an old email address, so can't unlink them, so can't play the game.

Now, The Ascent. Looks lovely, but I absolutely hate the game.

So far it's going well for Game Pass. At least it only cost £1 :LOL:

Surely you can reset your EA account?

Jedi: Fallen Order was an excellent game, i thought. It took my 23 hours, but i have read some people who beat it in 16 hours. Still, a great gaming experience with interesting planets. Zeffo and Dathomir was a blast. I adored this game.

Last edited:
Surely you can reset your EA account?

Jedi: Fallen Order was an excellent game, i thought. It took my 23 hours, but i have read some people who beat it in 16 hours. Still, a great gamin g experience with interesting planets. I adored this game.

It might be possible if I could remember the password I used with my old email address, or if I had access to the old email address so that I could reset it.