What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've been playing Fallout 3 again, and enjoying it a lot.

I also tried to download an old Amiga game called Perihelion, which was free on the site of the guy who made it. Unfortunately it wouldn't work on my computer, which is a shame as I remember it being very stylish.

This is interesting. After rage-quitting X-COM Apocalypse the other day, I decided to try it on the next difficulty level up. The first mission was exactly what I expected it to be: challenging but without the player being overwhelmed by aliens. I don’t know if I was just unlucky two times in a row on the lower difficulty level or if there’s perhaps some bug that‘s rearing its xenomorphic head. I’ll keep going and see what happens. This game was on hard drive death row but has now just had a last-minute stay of execution.

I’ve also been mucking about with dosbox config files and managed to get it looking a little better, mainly by getting it to utilise openGL and changing the original resolution. I did the same for the original X-COM and it also looks a little better.

Finished Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries campaign and played around for a while, but it isn't very interesting without something to pull you into the game.

Finished Total Warhammer 2's Vortex campaign, now a few turns into Mortal Empire campaign. I like Total War games but like Mechwarrior, I find it hard to stay interested once I've played through once.

I still have the last section of Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to get through, but I don't think I'll be interested in newgame+ on that, to be honest. Once through is enough for me.

Matthew, I'd say so. Won't spoil anything, but the story just became significantly more interesting (it's not bad, or anything, up to that point, but less intriguing than the first). If you're new to the battle system the first battles are easy enough and provide you with useful tutorials.

The only tip I'd offer ahead of time, which is in the game but oddly late, is that scout's have a 75% field of vision (so they notice you unless you're in the 25% right behind them) whereas everyone else has about a 25% field of vision, just ahead of them.

Hi Toby, I've been thinking of getting into the Fallout series. Would you recommend it?

Definitely! The ones I'd really recommend are 3 and 4. 1 and 2 were great in their time, but they are dated and clunky to play now. 3 is a very good game, but it's ten years old now and does look slightly drab. 4 is just excellent. It's very playable, and there's a lot to do (if you want to do it). They're pretty violent, in a deliberately over-the-top way, and there's a lot of black comedy. The gameplay is good and there's a real depth to the setting. Yesterday, while fighting my way through a ruined hotel in Fallout 3, I stumbled upon a skeleton in a bathtub re-enacting the painting The Death of Marat, next to another skeleton who had clearly drunk himself to death through dodgy cola drinks. It's well worth a look.

Yea, and it made me give up playing when I realised I couldn't ever turn it off again.

Thanks Toby. I've had an interest in Fallout for some time but never really knew whether or not it was something that i'd enjoy. I'll buy 3 and 4 when i've finished my current game.

Toby, I'm playing Wasteland 3 right now. It's a mix of XCOM and Fallout, it seems. Easy to spend more time than intended playing it.

Wasteland 3 can be challenging. The fact combat is all one side then the other means getting the drop on the enemy can make a very big difference.

I just "finished" Fallout 4. This was after spending several months at the beginning of this year "finishing" Skyrim. I never got into them, and then I dove head first into the abyss - what a ride.

Thanks Toby. I've had an interest in Fallout for some time but never really knew whether or not it was something that i'd enjoy. I'll buy 3 and 4 when i've finished my current game.
There is also Fallout New Vegas which is essentially Fallout 3 but made by Obsidian (the company that handled Fallout 1 and 2 orginally, they were given the Fallout 3 engine by Bethesda and asked to to a whole new setting and game). It's as big as Fallout 3.

I've watched so many let's plays of New Vegas that I am very unlikely to get it, however many people have this as their favourite Fallout game, with reference to the plot, faction dynamics, quests and the DLC's. I enjoy the atmosphere and gunplay in Fallout 4 - plus it's very stable on my rig, New Vegas can be (still!) a bit buggy.

EDIT: Just seen that currently all the Fallouts are on sale at Steam today - you can get it all for -70%, so all of New Vegas for ~£10, Fallout 3 for ~£3 and Fallout 4 for ~£9

Last edited:
I wasn't very impressed by New Vegas, but I've got a friend who loves it, so each to their own. There's an add-on for it about mad science that's a lot of fun.

There was also an online Fallout game released a couple of years ago, which isn't really my kind of thing. It sounds as if it was a bit of a mess when it came out, but has been improved since then.

I bought Fallout New Vegas when I dabbled in the console market (PS3). I didn’t even get out of the start location. I just couldn’t get to grips with controlling An FPS with a controller. One of these days, I’ll go nuts and buy it for the PC.

Meanwhile, I‘ve gone further than ever before in X-Com Apocalypse and shot down a type 4 UFO. I’m convinced there’s a bug in the difficulty levels because I’m finding it easier on a harder level. There are definitely bugs. After one hard fought mission, I returned to my main base to find my second base (with large bio-research facility, security station and vehicles) had completely disappeared. I had to reload a previous save and lose all that experience paid for in my operative’s blood. The computer was verbally abused and threatened with an exit via the window if it happened again:mad:

I had to uninstall Days Gone because i can't stop playing it. Just finished my third play through. I cannot believe it was so badly received on its release. Horizon Zero Dawn for realsees this time. :)

Toby, I'm playing Wasteland 3 right now. It's a mix of XCOM and Fallout, it seems. Easy to spend more time than intended playing it.

I've been playing that as well. I like it a lot. I think they've done a great job in refining the combat. It's much better than the previous game in that regard, for me at least.

I've got several games on the go at the moment as I had to buy a new pc, so I've been flitting between them to test them out. So that's Ys IX, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and the aforementioned Wasteland 3. I've also returned to Cyberpunk 2077, having drifted away from it for months.