What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Got crushed as the Japanese in Coral Sea and soundly beaten as the Germans in Battle Of The Bulge. Patton made an audacious strike from the south the relieve the siege of Bastogne. All I could say to that was Nuts! ;)

Maybe the AI in Wars Across The World isn’t so bad after all:)

I finished Mass Effect, which was a technically superb but slightly joyless experience. It makes me think that all the games I like the most have an element that it lacks. It's hard to give it a name: "charm" seems to be the right expression, but it isn't necessarily anything cutesy or "nice" (or maybe "wit" in the old sense of the word). It's a mixture of having a genuinely engrossing setting and a sense of (non-forced) quirkiness or individuality. Anyhow, Mass Effect is extremely good.

Still PUBG with a few friends, one who left the country a year ago so we play partly for the social aspect. The game itself is great though, the gun play and just general feel of it hasn't been matched for me personally with any other recent FPS games.

Horizon Zero Dawn.

Been on my "to play" list for a long time. Just started, but first impressions are great.

Still shouting abuse at HOI4; playing as Germany, attacked nobody, assembling the Axis against an anticipated Soviet attack - then Turkey declares against Bulgaria, joins the Allies, and suddenly the entire West is up in arms.

Still shouting abuse at HOI4; playing as Germany, attacked nobody, assembling the Axis against an anticipated Soviet attack - then Turkey declares against Bulgaria, joins the Allies, and suddenly the entire West is up in arms.
I tried HOI4 once and the abuse I ended up giving the screen made me just sort of put it away and never look at it again :)

I've been playing Abzu. You are a diver, who seems to be a woman but might be a robot, and you explore an underwater world. It's basically Journey under the sea, and while it's not clear what I'm actually trying to do, it's relaxing and the graphics are beautiful. Journey helped keep me sane during last year's heatwave, and hopefully Abzu will help in 2021.

Aftermath! pen and paper role playing game reimagined for a low fantasy environment.

Bought Warplan Pacific yesterday. Looks right up my alley but a quick play around with it confirmed that I will need to read the manual before going any further.
773A679D-6726-4DE4-80B7-B464E2D411BB.jpeg

Like a crazy person (or someone who prevaricates buying things for so long he can usually get them on sale) I'm playing both Wasteland 3 and Valkyria Chronicles 4 for the first time.

Despite being a mix of XCOM and Fallout in Colorado for the former and tactical JRPG in not-Europe for the latter, they both somehow involve Rangers and heavy snow.

Post-apocalypse isn't my favourite setting but I'm liking Wasteland 3 a lot, already having factions and morally difficult questions to answer. I played, and liked, the first Valkyria Chronicles, but this is the first real successor game to mainstream consoles. I like the small changes to the battle system (gaining a small APC rather than a second tank changes things up tactically, and the basic command system works well), story/characters not so far on a par with the original but not bad.

I‘ve recently fired up XCOM Apocalypse and I’m rapidly remembering why I never finished it when it first came out. Jeez! This game is hard…so hard it’s not particularly enjoyable just getting wiped out.

On novice level, my first mission and I’m up against half a dozen headcrabs and other aliens. I quickly lost two of my four agents to these brainsuckers (which then are controlled by the aliens). I used stun grenades to put the turncoats out of action without hurting them and then dealt with the remaining aliens. I had hoped that the group could return to base and perhaps the turncoats could go back to duty after medical treatment. But no. It appears once under alien control, they’re gone for good and no way to bring them back. Might as well just kill them.

All this happened within the first day of operation. My troops had no chance to train or improve the odds against them. If this difficulty level on novice isn’t caused by a bug, I dread to think what this game is like on the greatest difficulty level.

Tried the same battle (I saved at the start of tactical combat). I knew there were headcrabs, I had all my guys with action points reserved so they could react to any enemy movement. They were set to cover all directions and I still got nailed. Lost three of the four troops in one turn. Never saw a thing. The headcrabs suddenly just appeared and took over. Normally, you catch a glimpse of them scuttling across the floor (they must have a huge number of action points for the distance they can travel). The fog of war is more like fog of teleportation. I did some digging on the internet and it seems that XCOM Apocalypse was released as a half-finished mess with loads of issues. That’s it. No point in wasting my time. This one’s binned from my hard drive. Time to move on to something else.

Some more tactical innovations have occurred with VC4. Just small stuff but it all adds up to some extra flexibility, and are improvements rather than detriments (not always the case when things are 'updated').

I should've read a book last night; instead, I stayed up to beat RE: Village. Great game, keeps getting better as you go. Took me 11 hours.