What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've started a fresh Mount and Blade II campaign to see how the early access is getting on. So far pretty similar to originally but now we have perks that mostly work.

Had a pretty awesome 800 man battle but I've found most don't seem to want to let you play that big and do some weird splitting thing to give the player a smaller battle that somehow decides everything? or something... It is not explained well at all.

A computer can't cheat at chess for example, but it is capable of doing so in most video games. When we ramp up the difficulty level on a game, we never really know for sure if we're simply making the AI cheat to beat us.
Most games are far far far more advanced than chess though.

I will say that most of the cheats are a result of the players' abilities, either in cheesing the AI or in the case of Total War, cheesing every single aspect of the game. A big problem in the newer ones is that it's an endless cycle. Players need exploitable stuff to beat the OP AI, then the AI needs more cheats to counter those cheats... and so it continues.

I’m a bit unsure what the actual problem is. If an enemy unit is charged and falls back, my unit follows. If an enemy unit breaks and routs, my unit often chases it off the map and returns sometime later. I know this is historically accurate regarding the behaviour of some cavalry, it’s just that although the AI units still tend to chase fleeing forces, they (appear to) return to the fray much quicker and gain local superiority. Often they are then able to conduct rear or flank attacks whereas, my units never seem to have such favourable positioning after chasing fleeing troops. I should probably point out that the user has no control over chasing units and simply has to wait until they start behaving themselves again.

It’s probably just me, and I think if I’d been a field commander in the Thirty Years War, casualties and defeats would have marked me down as one of the worst generals in history.

Unless the opposition's cavalry was historically more disciplined, or unless there is some way to make them so , it sounds like the AI is cheating.

I had similar issues back in the day playing
I've started a fresh Mount and Blade II campaign to see how the early access is getting on. So far pretty similar to originally but now we have perks that mostly work.

Had a pretty awesome 800 man battle but I've found most don't seem to want to let you play that big and do some weird splitting thing to give the player a smaller battle that somehow decides everything? or something... It is not explained well at all.

Most games are far far far more advanced than chess though.

I will say that most of the cheats are a result of the players' abilities, either in cheesing the AI or in the case of Total War, cheesing every single aspect of the game. A big problem in the newer ones is that it's an endless cycle. Players need exploitable stuff to beat the OP AI, then the AI needs more cheats to counter those cheats... and so it continues.

I only mention chess because it is impossible for a computer to cheat at it. It can only anticipate and react to the human player, it can't (for example) start a game with 8 queens, or have twice as many plays as a human opponent.

In most computer games which (as you say) are far more complicated, it's not always easy to tell if (when upping the difficulty level) we are making it cleverer or faster at reacting (which is fair) or if we are letting it cheat by letting it do things that the player can't.

So as foxbat mentions above, are his opponent's cavalry historically more disciplined, or has the computer used the in game mechanics to make them reappear on the battlefield more quickly. Or has it simply cheated by making them unrealistically more disciplined and/or tactically aware?

I finally won a battle of Pike&Shot at a slightly higher difficulty level (I think I’ve progressed from easy to normal difficulty...captain to colonel). As the Catholic League, I crushed the Bohemian Revolt. I think it’s all about understanding the capabilities of the troops at your disposal and how to apply them against enemy concentrations.

Another few practice skirmishes like this and I think I’ll be ready to graduate to a full English Civil War campaign:)

Well I was playing Bravely Default 2 and Trails of Cold Steel 2. But then Monster Hunter Rise landed and everything else became irrelevant :LOL:

I got a bit overconfident today and started up a Pike and Shot English Civil War campaign as the Royalists and quickly got my comeuppence. Total defeat in the first battle. All my forces in disarray.

I decided to check the settings and discovered that it was on the hardest difficulty setting. Time to start again.

I finally won a battle of Pike&Shot at a slightly higher difficulty level (I think I’ve progressed from easy to normal difficulty...captain to colonel). As the Catholic League, I crushed the Bohemian Revolt. I think it’s all about understanding the capabilities of the troops at your disposal and how to apply them against enemy concentrations.

Another few practice skirmishes like this and I think I’ll be ready to graduate to a full English Civil War campaign:)

Hope you play as the good guys (ie Cavaliers) !

*Edit* Just seen in your last post that you have.(y)

Last edited:
downloadpr.jpg
My Old Regiment

I've been playing Warhammer Quest on the PC. It's a pretty basic dungeon-exploring game, and for some reason you can only currently play the four basic characters, and not the extra ones. I got it cheap in a sale, and for what it is, it's perfectly functional. I find it weirdly compelling, though.

Starting Alien: Isolation, which I've been looking forward to for a while. I hear that this game gas masterful tension building, so I expect to play it for quite a long time as I'll have to keep turning it off if I get too stressed. :)

It is very good indeed, but very tense.

In fact, Alien is probably the most tense game I've ever played, with the exception of a game called Monstrum. Monstrum is about a man trapped with a monster on a deserted cargo ship, who has to collect objects to get off the ship. It's extremely creepy, but very arbitrary about killing the player. An exciting experience, but probably not that good a game.

In fact, Alien is probably the most tense game I've ever played, with the exception of a game called Monstrum.
Have you ever played The Long Dark? That can be really tense, with it mostly being you alone against the elements.

I've been playing Final Fantasy 7 (the original) on the PSP. It's been really good; I think I'll complete it soon, which will make it the first Final Fantasy game I've actually finished. I have 8 and 9 to play on the PSP too, so I may tackle one of them next. Or perhaps a different series; Dragon Quest 6 for the DS arrived a few days ago, so maybe I'll go for a 2D RPG instead.

I've played Dragon Quest 6 - word of warning, it has some of the most obnoxious random encounter rates I've ever seen.

I'm playing Star Ocean - The Last Hope on Steam. I'm not really enjoying it as much as previous Star Ocean games, and the inclusion of a cat girl in the main party is starting to make me seriously consider my life choices.