What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Lady Hawke is well-acted - pretty much everyone is good, and the writing is decent. I actually quite like the lack of overarching story, and even the repetitive environment has its advantages (the option to visit places at night or in daytime is a really good one, although I'm sure it was prompted by time and budget). I remember getting really bored exploring the dwarven city in the first game. Dragon Age 2 alternates between plot, violence and the Welsh elf pointing out that she's stepped in something, and for me at least, its plusses balance out its flaws.

I got a cheap copy of Total War Warhammer 2 and have been bashing that pretty heavily until the slew of minor annoyances flips me out too much and I need a break.

Then I head off to Oxygen Not Included... until the slew of minor annoyances flip me out there too...

It's a vicious cycle :)

I saw there is a new Oddworld game in the making. I adored Abe’s Odyssey back in the day.

Just stated playing through The Wolf Among Us again. It's based on Vertigo's Fables. It don't get to "play" much, but the story is very well written!

Normally I always put a bullet into a Raider scum's head as I journey about the Commonwealth in FO4. (No fast travel in Survival mode)...

And I came across one today. But when I put the crosshairs on him....I saw what he was doing, I just couldn't shoot:

20201219141305_1.jpg

So I tip-toed past him and left him by the graveside.

The next living thing I did see, straight after, got his bullet. But then again radstags taste nice.

I finally finished Dragon Age 2! It's quite hard to sum up what I think about it. There's so much wrong with it - or perhaps it's better to say that it has so many limitations - but ultimately it plays to its strengths well, it makes the best of its small setting, and the characters and acting are very good. It has a feeling of intrigue that I've not seen in very many games. Would I recommend it? Definitely, but it's a pretty specific sort of game, and I could imagine quite a few people finding it not to their tastes. So long Varrik and Merrill. I hope you found a shirt and some shoes.

I finally finished Dragon Age 2! It's quite hard to sum up what I think about it. There's so much wrong with it - or perhaps it's better to say that it has so many limitations - but ultimately it plays to its strengths well, it makes the best of its small setting, and the characters and acting are very good. It has a feeling of intrigue that I've not seen in very many games. Would I recommend it? Definitely, but it's a pretty specific sort of game, and I could imagine quite a few people finding it not to their tastes. So long Varrik and Merrill. I hope you found a shirt and some shoes.
After I played this, I was completely fed up with Dragon Age. I had beaten the first game already. I didn't play DG: Inquisition because of that. These games feel the same

Speak of the Devil, I'm currently playing Spider-man: Miles Morales. It's... OK. But feels like a spin-off of the original game.

I'm really enjoying Full Metal Furies in co-op mode. It seems to be a hidden gem that suffered at launch from a few issues (now fixed). At first I thought it was just an action RPG, but it's heavy on the puzzles too. It's in a 16-bit style and like a mashup between Contra (shoot 'em up mayhem and difficulty-level) crossed with Secret of Mana (action RPG) and The Witness (puzzles). It's also pretty funny at times. Highly recommended for anyone looking for something a bit different.

I've just finished the New Donk City level on Super Mario Odyssey, and that was so much fun. It felt GTA-esque at times, which I didn't think possible in a Mario game. And one sequence gave me great nostalgia for Mario and Donkey Kong games of the 80s and early 90s.

I completed To the Moon, and it was a slog even though it was only 4 hours - the worst game I've completed. It was story-driven, but the characters were unlikeable and the story didn't immerse me either. I don't understand why this game has overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics.

I bought Horizon Chase Turbo in the current e-shop sale for £5. I couldn't resist given it's a spiritual sequel to Top Gear on the SNES and Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge from various home computers - the same composer made the music too. I didn't like it so much at first (preferring the older games), but I'm getting into it, and it is a good arcade racer.

I went back to Black Mesa.

Reminded me of how good and how big Half Life actually was, although BM does feel a little shorter.

I've been thinking about giving Xbox Game Pass for PC a try and am wondering if anyone here is using it? I was going to buy Wasteland 3 whilst it's in the Steam/GOG sales (at around £35) but I noticed it's on the Game Pass roster as well, so I could give it a try for £1 for the first month. Quite a few other games on there that I want to play, too (and quite a few that I've already bought, as well, sadly).

Talking of which, Desperados 3 is awesome.

I found the subscription service for playstation is great, haven't tried the xbox one. However I dislike the model, I don't want gaming to turn into that and I'm oh so scared it will.

I've been playing Afterparty which is a really fun game, works on my potato laptop. Reminds me of the old choose your own adventure books (turned up to 11) but with fun mini games thrown in. It's set in hell and you have to out party the devil to get out. It's a cool little story with some nice character development, mystery and world building.

I found the subscription service for playstation is great, haven't tried the xbox one. However I dislike the model, I don't want gaming to turn into that and I'm oh so scared it will.

Yes, thanks - I came to pretty much the same conclusion last night and decided against it. Of course, whilst I was dithering the Steam and GOG sales ended and Wasteland 3 is back up to full price :LOL:

Shipbreaker!
It's still in early access so not complete, but its a very fun game. Basically its set in "not homeworld" Homeworld setting (same/similar artistic style) and has you performing the job of a cutter, someone who has to come into old ships and slice them up for decommission. Fully 3D movement with you basically having a puzzle which is the ship, to dismantle. Learning to be careful to decompress the right way; not blowing yourself up; now blowing the ship up etc... A 15min time limit per "shift" of in game work keeps you focused on the job at hand and you can keep coming back to work on the same ship over and over or move onto another.

It's still quite early access so there's a few oddities here and there and its not a complete game by any stretch, but the engine is sound; the visuals good; the gameplay engaging and the overall challenge is good and fun.

There's also a no-timer mode for taking as long as you want to strip down a ship

I've been playing a lot of Trails of Cold Steel II.

I've also stumbled across a bit of a hidden gem called Banner of the Maid. I saw a review of it a while back and thought it looked like my kind of thing, being a Fire Emblem fan. I got it on a whim in the Switch eshop sale and absolutely love it. It's a tactical turn-based RPG set during an alternate French Revolution, basically a Fire Emblem game in all but name - but a proper old school Fire Emblem, rather than the disappointment of FE Three Houses. It's available on PS4, XB1 and PC as well, but these sorts of games are perfect for a handheld.

I’ve been playing a game called Realpolitiks for the last week and I’ve found it to be quite intriguing. It has been criticised for being too simplistic but, considering things you have to manage or deal with are: wars, GDP, unemployment, diplomacy, spying, UN voting, energy policy, economic blocs, financial markets, bidding for the olympics and much, much more, I don’t see how anybody could cope with this if it had not been simplified. I’m getting a little tired of it now but it cost less than £3 so I’ve already had my money’s worth. More importantly, it’s real-time pausible - a bit like many Paradox games. I could never get into those but maybe Realpolitiks is the gateway to me finally warming to Paradox stuff. Maybe it’s finally time to fire up Crusader Kings again:)

I have gone back to more gaming now that I've updated my computer. I've even invested in a proper gaming chair.
I am currently playing Oknytt, a 3rd person adventure game on Steam. It is very atmospheric, and based on Norse mythology.

I'm back on Skyrim, with its Viking helmets, magic swords (the w is pronounced) and deeply obnoxious children. None of the later Elder Scrolls games have the weird charm and invention of Morrowind, but it's still a very impressive piece of work. The sheer amount of stuff to do and things to see is fantastic.