What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I played about six hours of CKII last night and had a blast. I raised my daughter to be a warrior queen of the Scottish tribal lands, circa 800 AD. Her martial stats are above 20 by the time she hit 18. After the second battle she got punctured by a spear and earned the "disfigured" trait for life *womp womp*. However, I'm not trying to let that stop her from ruling with an iron fist. 20 years later, she's grown to own duchy and has several large vassals supporting her. The whole, from her line, will be to conquer Scotland.
That's what I love about that game, no matter how well you organise your dynasty, the game will always find a bag of spanners to throw into the works.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2, which is a lot of fun, but unfortunately I've run up against the bit I could never get past (the carnival games in Venice) and I'll have to give it up again. Thief 2 continues to be excellent, especially the huge number of very good fan missions out there.

that’s such a shame; that’s by far my favourite AC game. I really hope you get through it.

I stopped playing AC origins months ago because it just felt too un-AC. The renaissance period of AC2 and Brotherhood are divine. Black flag is amazing too

In my experience the difficulty suddenly goes through the roof at that point. One of the challenges, where you steal ribbons from women at a party, is simple, but the other three are very hard indeed. I bought a set of all the Ezio games, so I might just skip on to Brotherhood instead.

Now for the never-ending wait for Half-Life 3.

If anyone is interested, I heart the classic HL games are all free on Steam.

They've got about 2 months "free to play" rather than being free. Which means you can download and play them just as if you own them, but once the time limit is up they'll be removed from your account. Of course they go on sale pretty often so chances are you can easily pick them up with a good discount.

Path of Exile mostly. Its like rare modern jewel for an old hardcore action-RPG fan like me. I really hope that GGG will keep up the good work, as they did so far.

that’s such a shame; that’s by far my favourite AC game. I really hope you get through it.

I stopped playing AC origins months ago because it just felt too un-AC. The renaissance period of AC2 and Brotherhood are divine. Black flag is amazing too

I'm the opposite - didn't like the earlier AC games at all but liked Origins a lot and absolutely love Odyssey. I get why long-time fans don't like them, though.

Half-Life 2 is an interesting one. My main feeling towards it is a sort of affection: despite it being about killing the soldiers of a genocidal alien dictatorship, I remember it as a "nice" game. I suspect it's because most of the people you meet are rounded characters: scientists, civilians or rebels, rather than unconvincing space soldiers grunting about honour. The setting feels well-established, and the overheard conversations are interesting and lend depth to it all, especially given that most of what you do is kicking doors open and slaughtering enemies. Even the villain is more nuanced than most computer game dark lords. Anyhow, it's very good.

I'm the opposite - didn't like the earlier AC games at all but liked Origins a lot and absolutely love Odyssey. I get why long-time fans don't like them, though.

I'll finish it - or rather, restart it and finish it - and it wasn't the story side of things that I had a problem with, it was the controls and methodology that I struggled with. Like all things, I'll get used to it, though, but after having the same problem with the hella-boring Fallen Jedi title, I wasn't in the mood for that kind of game, I suppose.

Right now, I'm back on Battlefront II which I've been banging since 2018! It can be a mess, but it's a beautiful mess.

pH

Katana Zero is wonderful. Great pacing, interesting story. Simple and intuitive yet remarkably engaging.

Give it a whirl.

For those interested in strategy, who enjoy the likes of CK2, I would highly recommend Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension. The name is a mouth full of word salad, but once you get past the learning curve it's deeply engaging.

I was playing Assetto Corsa Competizione (on racing wheel) but discovered I have 2 herniated discs in my neck that is pinching a nerve and makes my arm feel like it's on fire, I have to get surgery done and have prosthetic discs inserted, so no racing games for a while, I'll probably carry on with Fallout 4 then as it's less strenuous on the neck.

I've played the original Sphere of Influence (I think Ascension's the updated version?). Liked quite a lot of it, although some more individuality to cities would've been good.

Roads having differing speeds and battles either auto-running or being playable are nice features.

I've played the original Sphere of Influence (I think Ascension's the updated version?). Liked quite a lot of it, although some more individuality to cities would've been good.

Roads having differing speeds and battles either auto-running or being playable are nice features.

Ascension makes some pretty strong strides towards making cities more individually unique.

And it implements a pretty nice system for granting specific cities and characters over to the AI and letting them work towards a specified goal so you don't need to micromanage any more than you actually want to.