What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've re-started Dragon Quest XI. As soon as I found out there's a way to replace the ear-grating MIDI music of the Western release with the sumptuous Japanese full orchestral soundtrack I got the pc version in the Steam Christmas sale and modded it. It changes the feel of the game completely and I love it even more now :love:

Also nearly finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Finished chapter 9 (of 10) this afternoon.

Got to say the MIDI stuff didn't bother me, although I've heard others dislike it a lot too.

Are you playing with the optional Draconic modifiers? I started a game with about half of those. Got a fair way in (just met the mermaid) before I got Divinity 2 for Christmas.

Speaking of which, I'm having a similar problem to the first game. A spot of option paralysis over choosing, beyond obvious choices, what to spend points on. Just decided to expand the Red Prince, mostly a beefcake, into a summoner (on brand, as a move) and giving Sebille a polymorph point (wish I had another, though, as there's a nice looking level 2 book I've got which would help make her a bit more resilient. Great for damage, though).

Got to say the MIDI stuff didn't bother me, although I've heard others dislike it a lot too.

Yeah, it probably doesn't bother a lot of people but it seemed so out of step with the quality of the rest of the game to me. As an example:

Original MIDI music:

and the orchestral mod:

I'm not playing with the draconic modifiers. I want to finish it once without them. I'll use them next time through, which will be on the Switch I expect, as I will definitely be getting that version too.

To be honest, although it doesn't bother me it does sound like quite a lot of people share your view, so I'm not sure which of us is in the minority. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the orchestral score, it just doesn't irk me all that much.

My suspended draconic playthrough has about half the modifiers. I think trying all of them would be a bit brave/frustrating.

To be honest, although it doesn't bother me it does sound like quite a lot of people share your view, so I'm not sure which of us is in the minority. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the orchestral score, it just doesn't irk me all that much.

I'd have put up with it but, once I knew about the mod, there was no going back for me :)

I just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I think it out-epic-ed the epicness of the end of the first game. Took me five attempts to beat the final boss, then the ending cutscene lasted over half an hour. I'm in bits :cry::LOL:

Although it's only my first playthrough, it's clear to see some areas where decisions do alter the way that Divinity 2 unfolds. That's always cool to see. And my companions sometimes have differing but valid perspectives, helping to make decisions less a case of Supreme Evil versus Ultra Good (mostly) but a bit greyer.

Also amused when my necromantic undead cleric got attacked by someone who tried using poison. Which heals the undead. Good luck, you buffoon! Mwahahaha!

More expansions for Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend incoming:

I really want someone at studio Ghibli to just hire the creative people behind the Endless games and give them a movie or TV series! I love their artwork and style!

And I've caved and am going to have to find some money to at last leave the 1024*768 community and get a widescreen so I can properly enjoy Endless Legends

All the Endless games are free to play on Steam this weekend, and on sale until 4th February.

Just started Medieval Engineer, a little annoying as I’m trying to build and I keep getting attacked by barbarians.

Still loving Dragon Quest XI on pc (55 hrs in) and Octopath Traveler on Switch (50 hrs in). Hit a brick wall with one boss in the latter so am going to have to revise party combos and strategies a bit, I think. Given the way I hated the MIDI soundtrack in DQXI, I have to say Octopath has got one of the best game soundtracks I've heard to date. Barely a bad theme in it and this battle music, in particular, is foot-tappingly brilliant:

Me and a mate have also started, finally, a co-op play-through of Divinity Original Sin 2. It's making me feel very tempted by Pillars of Eternity 2 now that it has had proper turn-based combat added in the latest patch. I enjoyed the first game a lot but the combat was messy, which is why I've stayed away from 2 so far.

Ha, so I adjusted my strategy a bit in Octopath and beat that boss on the next try, and pretty easily, too. Plus, after five or six previous attempts that resulted in party wipes (and took aaaages), I only had one character, Therion the thief, KO'd during the fight and I had him equipped with a support skill that automatically resurrected him anyway. Result.

Really enjoyed the latest Nintendo Direct. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is looking great. A remake of Link's Awakening was a complete surprise and looks lovely. Very intrigued by the trailer for Astral Chain. And, best of all, Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition with extra story content for all characters AND the full orchestral score. I was already thinking of playing it again on handheld with the Draconian options enabled but now I'm really looking forward to it. Plus it's not out till the end of the year so I've got plenty of time to finish it on pc and have a decent break from it before it's released.

Just started Medieval Engineer, a little annoying as I’m trying to build and I keep getting attacked by barbarians.

Thank you, this gave me a good chuckle this drear foggy morning - I shouldn’t laugh but the image of it is too good.

I’m not playing anything half as worthwhile (basically, I’m driving cars into other cars in the hugely fun but moronic arcade game Onrush).

I was playing Until Dawn, a survival horror that makes use of the butterfly effect in terms of choices you make but the teen characters are all so foul and unsympathetic I’ve stopped (but not before getting a couple of them killed off!). It’s one thing working with snarky teens but I’m not keen on spending my free time with ‘em.

Hope your building plans are more successful in future! : D

pH

I've gotten back into Divinity Original Sin 2, and made quite a bit more progress.

My level of heroic role playing has now reached the stage of actively hampering my own advancement.

I finished the main story of Dragon Quest XI last night. What a wonderful game. I had a brief look at (as in watched the opening cut scene of) the post game but will take a break before doing any more, or might even wait for the Switch version with all the extras. Loved it, though. Absolutely loved it. It felt like a grand adventure from start to finish.

My next main project is Persona 5, which I re-started a week or two back. I played 40 hours or so when it first came out then got distracted (by W3 Blood & Wine, iirc), so it's high time.

A word on the post-game: I found it a bit of a slog. There's a lot there but much of it required, for me, grinding, unlike the main game.

That said, I did rediscover, maybe for the first time since FFVIII, listening to music whilst playing a videogame.