What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Got my eye on Divinity 2. I did play the first game and got a long way in, but didn't finish it. Thought it had a lot of charm, the UI could occasionally be a little irksome (item menus, mostly), and the lack of pointers was sometimes refreshing, sometimes frustrating.

I also have a burning hatred of instant kill mechanisms. For traps, I can just about tolerate it, but for the little moving about thingummyjigs in the forest, it just annoyed me.

The humour, on the other, was great, and I liked the combat (although if you're under-levelled you're almost always toast and grinding wasn't possible).

Hmm. Maybe I should write an unfinished review.

DOS 2 is awesome in so many ways. Quite annoyed that I have to start a new game if I want to take advantage of the Definitive Edition, though.

Finished Fire Emblem: Awakening a couple of days ago and, yeah, straight into my top 5 all-time favourite games. Absolutely loved it. Still got some post game content to do but the story is wrapped up.

Last night I made a start on SteamWorld Heist (3DS version). The gameplay's excellent, it looks gorgeous, and the music is brilliant. Love the old Saturday matinee Western serial aesthetic, too. Think I'm going to enjoy this :)

It's my birthday today and I don't have anything planned so yesterday I decided to get myself a new game to play today. I opted for the new Spider-Man game. Not a big Spider-Fan but I like superheroes and I'd been seeing/hearing good things about it.

First thing that was surprising was that all 45gb loaded in under an hour, usually my toaster internet takes 10 hours for that.

So I tried it out and yes, swinging around the city is a great deal of fun. It reminds me a lot of the Batman games -- swooping around a massive city, dropping down on petty bad guys and beating the crap out of them. Which is no bad thing, that's always fun. So much so that I've barely touched the main story yet, although I did decide I was going to unlock all the police radars first so I could see the whole city.

Also appreciate a game that gets straight on with it (I'm not a long cut scene person) and teaches you as you go, and it also has some great button-jabbing action scenes.

I think it'll definitely keep me entertained today.

Last edited:
I currently have two games on the go: Bravely Default on 3DS, which is brilliant, and Xenoblade Chronicles on pc via the Dolphin emulator with an HD textures mod. I bought and was playing it on 3DS but it's so epic it needs the bigger screen.

Interestingly, the 'end' of Dragon Quest XI isn't really the end. Not sure if there's a New Game Plus mode (from the start) but there is an ongoing story after what seems to be the main ending.

So...finally after many attempts, to understand the mechanics, and work them well, I have finally made a breakthrough in CK2, through diligent use of family and laws....

.....the Empire of Alba is here:
20181018200707_1.jpg

Well, this is a picture just before I made the Empire, but you can see the extent of the Anglo-Saxon and Welsh domains!

Still another 400 years, in game, to spread the worthy culture of Pictish to the rest of the world. ;-)

So...finally after many attempts, to understand the mechanics, and work them well, I have finally made a breakthrough in CK2, through diligent use of family and laws....

Oh, I've installed and uninstalled that game so many times, trying to get into it. It sounds so appealing, but I can never get into it when I start. Maybe I'm due for another try!

I spent ages trying to take over Scandinavia in CKII and it was going really well. I'd claimed Norway and Sweden and was on the verge of taking over Finland when my king died in battle. His name was Dyre, so I should've seen it coming. The Holy Roman Empire was already rather annoyed with me because I had several of their bishops enjoying the hospitality of my dungeons, so they soon came in force. Let's just say my game collapsed quite spectacularly soon after that :ninja:

In other news, what an amazing game Xenoblade Chronicles is.

What's the full title of this game? It looks like my sort of game (world domination is a hobby of mine :devilish:)

I really need to conquer the rest of the globe, the border gore is horrendous at the moment on mainland Europe.

20181019201014_2.jpg

The game's name is Crusader Kings 2, part of the Paradox Interactive stable (In fact, at the end of the campaign, 1440 or thereabouts, you can convert your save to the next time period and game, Europa Universalis 4, I think)

The only issue I'd have with it, for someone that comes to it cold, is that there's a lot of DLC, some of which I do think is really good...but that means, to get the full set, it could be pretty costly. I bought tons of the DLC in the black Friday sales and got 50-66% off.

Yeah, definitely wait for a sale, either on Steam or Paradox's own site. I do understand Paradox's business model but I also find it extremely off-putting, especially when they make fundamental changes to the gameplay, as they have done with Stellaris.

Stellaris. I bought it and all then available DLC during last Christmas' Steam sale, but have yet to complete a whole game due to the major restructuring the game underwent at the start of the year. More big changes upcoming with the Le Guin update (2.2).

So I’m still on Spider-Man and enjoying it a lot. Love his witty quips. Love the twitter feed. Unlocked lots of the suits, though I was mainly sticking with the white spider one until I recently got the shiny Stark suit. Climbed to the top of the Avengers tower and knocked on the window, asking if I could join (doubt I’ve been the only one to do so because we’re all hilarious nerds, right).

Swinging around is a great deal of fun, I’ve only used fast travel once, that first time when you have no choice but to. It’s so much fun that it’s made me do loads of the side tasks, because I’m often just swinging from one side of the city to the other, so why not stop for a backpack, pigeon or science experiment. That’s another thing I like, that it involves all sides of Peter, including the science stuff.

I also like the occasional breaks to MJ, sneaking around and investigating, it’s nice that she’s got some agency in this.

But what I really like is how the game levels up with you. First I was just punching thugs and drug dealers, then bigger guys started appearing in the groups, then they got weapons, then guns, and then when the Demon stuff kicks in suddenly there are Demons in the streets, and their weapons have been upgrading, and now they’ve started setting bombs or having rooftop fights with Sable Security (also liked that they’re taking over the streets, too, and Silver Sable looks cooool. Always a fan of angry, tough women, me).

I think maybe the only thing I’ve been missing is big fights with known Spider-Man enemies, but considering there’s a Black Cat DLC coming out tomorrow, I guess that kind of stuff is going to be for later add-ons.

Oh, and perhaps one of my favourite things is the JJ radio show. His most recent one has just accused Spider-Man of eating pigeons :lol:

Playing Breath of the Wild on my newly acquired Switch, met this guy standing watch on a bridge in the middle of nowhere, he says: "We're doomed! I mean, don't panic!"

Dad's Army references in Zelda?? I'm in love :love: