What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'Game Discussions' started by McMurphy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. thaddeus6th

thaddeus6th Well-Known Member

Bugg, a man can dream.

I'd be slightly more surprised if Kingdom Come were on time than delayed, to be honest. But Shadow of War should be this year.

2. Stewart Hotston

Stewart Hotston Well-Known Member

Loved HZD. Traipsing through Andromeda right now. Feels really old fashioned if I'm honest, although the story is interesting. I feel like they went for the Witcher in openness but it hasn't quite worked. It looks wonderful though, almost as good as HZD on 4k HDR...

3. Venusian Broon

Venusian Broon Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity

Skyrim.

I did get the game in 2012, but even so...

...after 1229 hours and with my third character...

20170421234049_1.jpg

I have for the first ever time reached Sovngarde. :whistle:

In fact I've still to initiate the Civil war, finish the Dark Brotherhood storyline or totally complete the Daedric full quota of quests. Just got sidetracked wandering about :rolleyes:

thaddeus6th likes this.
  4. thaddeus6th

It be value for money, Venusian.

I just hope the next game stacks up. There are some clear improvements that can be made (combat, making quests more Witcher-quality). I hope they stick with the voiceless protagonist, and don't try crowbarring in a backstory as they did with Fallout 4. Quality of protagonist voice-acting was good, but I'm not sure it fits with the level of freedom you're meant to have creating your character (not to mention their jobs, relationship etc).

5. Venusian Broon

Venusian Broon Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity

My understanding is the Bethesda is that they are going to:

- Port Skyrim to the Switch
    - Release a version of Fallout 4 for virtual reality headsets
    - Do a mobile game based on Fallout...
    -...then have two games 'bigger than anything they have done, but just the sort of projects we know Bethesda do'
    - Of which for one, I believe, they have trademarked the name 'Starfield'. So some sort of SF openworld thingy?
    - The other one, no one knows. But let's see, they have 'medievalesque/Tolkien fantasy, Post Apocalyptic then potentially SF. So that makes the mysterious one...????
    - Then they will be releasing Elder Scrolls 6. Maybe even as late as 2019/20? Perhaps my extremely slow play style will be just perfect for their release plan :p

6. thaddeus6th

Yeah, I've heard of Starfield, reckoned to be a sort of sci-fi/space RPG, but we'll see.

They're taking too damned long over Elder Scrolls VI. If it doesn't match up to some newer RPGs (again, Witcher 3, and maybe Kingdom Come Deliverance, if that can deliver, ahem, on its potential) it could end up looking rather out of date.

7. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in fer me

Yeah, I prefer the voiceless protagonist. But I think that adds to the passive feeling of your character, which is starting to become my biggest peeve with the Elder Scrolls. As I talked about when I was playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, I loved how involved my character felt and as such I felt way more involved in everything, too. I think it's the first time I've ever really felt attached to my character and made me feel like I was active and making decisions (another thing I'd like to see more in Elder Scrolls -- decisions that really matter and affect the storyline).

I think really, the main thing I really want is for people to react more to my character -- especially as you rise up through the ranks of various organisations. I feel like if you're walking around as Head of the bleedin' Mages Guild, people should at least stop calling you a damn sneak thief! And conversely, you shouldn't be able to walk around in armour that clearly shows you're part of the Brotherhood or the Thieves' guild.

Anyway, the leader of our little three-person MMO band has picked us up and moved us on again. Now we're going over to Destiny. I'm just downloading the demo now. I'm looking forward to it, though, as I enjoy the Halo games and I also enjoy shooting things in the face.

8. thaddeus6th

Hmm. The quality of the voice acting in DAI is perfectly good, but I never had that problem of disconnection with the Warden in Origins (best Dragon Age game by far, I think).

I agree that it's discombobulating when you've just saved the world from dragons and vampires, and then get sassed by a guard. It'd be like if Alfred were walking through Winchester after defeating the Vikings and a fishwife yelled at him to get back home because his cakes were burning.

9. Lenny

Lenny Press "X" to admire hat

Oh man, the hours I sunk into Destiny. It's a strange game - whilst vastly improved from the game that launched, the story is lacking, and it can feel a bit small...but the gameplay more than makes up for it (even after I'd finished everything, I found I could still spend a couple of hours a night doing the daily activities, and I was more than happy to sink time into trying to solo the weekly missions), whether you're playing solo or with friends. 790 hours of shooting things in the face have me convinced that the weapon mechanics, and the feel of them, are some of the best out there.

10. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

I don't play games apart from multiplayer these days, but had a quick go of Breath of the Wild at a friend's last week - it's the most tempted I've been to buy my own console for many years. But I won't!

11. HoopyFrood

Yeah, I played a bit with my friend last night and soon realised that you basically just go into orbit, go do your thing, then head back to the tower. No free roaming and massive social places like in other MMOs. But after playing the likes of Final Fantasy XIV, which is all story and lore and the like, it's quite refreshing having something so light and quick. The intro bit last night was one of the most fun and immediate beginnings I've had out of most games I've played.

I don't really have money to spare at the moment but by the gods I am so tempted to get a Switch/Wii U for Breath of the Wild. Me and Zelda are my OTP!

12. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

Similar here - I've been playing Zelda since the SNES days - though preferred Terranigma and Secret of Mana in that era - it was Ocarina of Time that kicked things off in spectacular fashion. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were good, but Skyward Sword felt disappointing (I played about 15 hours on my brother's copy). Breath of the Wild seems to be right back on track.

As for buying a Switch/Wii U, it's time as well as money that I'm bothered about!

13. HoopyFrood

Ocarina of Time is hands down my all-time favourite game ever. I enjoyed Twilight Princess but wasn't overwhelmed by it. I think I preferred Skyward Sword but I missed the old Zelda layout of Hyrule field and all the rest of it.

Breath of the Wild sounds absolutely massive and something that would definitely rob you of your life for a good long time!

AlexH likes this.
  14. Bugg

Bugg A Lerxst in Wonderland

I'm a big Zelda fan, too. I'd love to play BotW, but the Switch will need more great games before I'm tempted to buy. Maybe if they released another Metroid Prime . . .

I took a break from Persona 5 over the weekend and spent a few hours with Bloodborne. Sorry, I'll rephrase that: I spent a few hours dying in Bloodborne. Strange how the Soulsborne games get under your skin, though. Even though I kept dying I knew it was my fault and that I'd learn and get through the bit that was troubling me - or find a way around it and come back to it later, better prepared.

15. Calum

Calum Crabbit Minger

Undertale, though playing might not be quite the correct turn of phrase, more like addicted to the point where I've partially fossilised into my armchair. This game is sly, it lures you in with it's witty humour, colourful characters and thought provoking story and turns you into a couch potato.