What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I’ve started to play Carrier Battles 4. I played the Coral Sea scenario as the USA. I decided to only use my seaplanes launched from cruisers and land based search aircraft to hunt down the enemy. My idea was to hold back my carrier aircraft in order to coordinate a decisive strike once the Japanese task forces had been found. It was a massive blunder. I never found the Japanese carriers but they found mine. I lost the Lexington and most of the task force that went with it. After that it was game over (literally and metaphorically). I won’t hold back on reconnaissance again.

This heavy defeat taught me the value of good intelligence and that information truly is power.

At least Carrier Battles has helped me break my Rimworld addiction….for now….

I finished Elden Ring today. First soulslike/soulsborne game I've ever played. I was 5 or 10 hours in and thinking "I don't know if this is for me" when I beat my first boss (after learning how to summon spirit ashes to help you) and went "oh, I GET it now" immediately followed by "oh **** I'm going to spend 80 hours on this game aren't I"

Playthrough actually ran up to ~121 hours, but I'm not terribly good at this game, so I spent a lot of time exploring and leveling so that I stayed overleveled for most of the game. I also followed a guide for a decent chunk of it (there were definitely a number of things I would not have had the time or patience to figure out on my own). Hardcore souls vets may scoff at my approach, but nuts to them, I don't come home from work to bang my head against the wall playing a difficult game, and I had a helluva good time. Also immediately uninstalled it upon completion to save myself the temptation of playing again to get the different endings (the only achievements I missed).

Also, I've been reading through the Hyperion Cantos (on the last book now), and named my character Tethys. Wasn't til I'd almost finished my playthrough that I actually looked it up and learned Tethys is the name of a goddess from Greek mythology, but I'm not sure I'd tell my godslayer's greatsword-wielding Tarnished that he has a girls name.

I'm learning new things about modding Skyrim pretty much every day. This week I have installed new overhauls for trees, landscape, Nordic ruins and a couple of the cities, upgraded NPC clothing, tried a new ENB, got Racemenu (which enables in-game character customisation from the console) running properly and, after many attempts, finally got this lovely "paper" map working.

There are still a few things I've been unable to get to work, for reasons that are beyond my understanding, and my PC can't possibly compete with the 4K YouTube videos running on RTX 4090s but I'm happy that I've managed to do this myself rather than downloading a mod list that would take up hundreds of gigs drive space, and keep it running at 60fps, apart from in a handful of (apparently) notorious hotspots.

p9PnzkT.jpg
20240615132211_1.jpg

I had to kill Lydia - she got in the way of my attacks once too often and turned on me :LOL:

Traffic Escape on my 1st generation iPad Air

I had to kill Lydia - she got in the way of my attacks once too often and turned on me :LOL:
Stop right there, criminal scum! You've violated the law!

I don't come home from work to bang my head against the wall playing a difficult game

I agree. For pretty much that reason, I've decided to give up on Adaca, which is still a very good game. It reached a point where every encounter was very difficult (something seems to be subtly wrong with the way that shooting works in it, although I can't quite tell what). It results in you having to move through the game very very slowly, hoping that you'll be able to snipe the enemies before they spot you, which isn't what should be happening in a fast-moving shooter.

Anyhow, back to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which is still really good.

. . . and my PC can't possibly compete with the 4K YouTube videos running on RTX 4090s . . .
Well that's an easy fix, stop watching YouTube in 4k.

It's been a couple years since I built my PC, but I thought 4k was still a bit too much for people who wanted consistently high frames per second in their games, even with a 4090, unless they're only playing esports titles or something?

I've started a new Stellaris game, some months after my last. Clocked over a thousand hours in total, though. Going fairly well. Way behind on tech and diplomatic power, but through supreme cunning (playing defensively and getting a stronger ally to do the legwork) I reduced one neighbour who disliked me to feeble status, have good relations with most of my other neighbours, and am building up the fleet nicely.

Perhaps a little rough around the edges, but over 50 years into a Grand Admiral game having not played for a while, things are going pretty well. I was helped a lot by the hyperlanes being really convenient.

Well that's an easy fix, stop watching YouTube in 4k.

It's been a couple years since I built my PC, but I thought 4k was still a bit too much for people who wanted consistently high frames per second in their games, even with a 4090, unless they're only playing esports titles or something?

The amount of VRAM on the 40 series is what makes the difference with modded Skyrim, so they can push things like the density of the forests and such. I'm only watching the videos to check out and/or discover mods, but it's easy to spot even if I'm watching at 1080p.

I'm pretty happy with how I have the environment looking, though, so it's mostly small things I'm checking out now. Today will be Convenient Horses, so I can tell my follower to go and buy their own horse. Not that I have a follower at the moment. Poor Lydia :cry: :LOL:

20240617162807_1.jpg

The amount of VRAM on the 40 series is what makes the difference with modded Skyrim, so they can push things like the density of the forests and such. I'm only watching the videos to check out and/or discover mods, but it's easy to spot even if I'm watching at 1080p.

Ah, gotcha. I've noticed with Forza Horizon 5 on my XSX, it is smooth as butter 99% of the time, but some of the user-created tracks will torpedo the frame rate with all the extra assets on screen. I've never really played around with mods though; I'll fiddle with some of the settings on startup the first time playing something, but after that I just want it plug and play.

I blinked yesterday on the steam sale for Horizon Forbidden West, so as soon as I get home to my PC (puppy sitting this week at my parents place with my XSX and their TV that has just enough input lag to drive me batty), I will be diving back into Aloy's story. Very much enjoyed Zero Dawn and looking forward to this.

I bought Space Haven. You build a spacecraft, go explore the stars, meet aliens and kill them. It looks promising...like Rimworld in space:)

Steam Summer Sale starts tomorrow, too.

My backlog is very scared :LOL:
To quote a friend, my backlog is undefeated.

And everything on my Steam wishlist is on sale. Send help and/or lottery tickets.

To quote a friend, my backlog is undefeated.

And everything on my Steam wishlist is on sale. Send help and/or lottery tickets.

Everything on my wishlist is on sale, too. My backlog is going level up. Dammit :LOL: