What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Thought I’d mention that Skyrim is now available on GOG.

I won’t be buying it for a while because it would just distract me from Oblivion.
I managed to get the sword of the crusader. Sneaked in to the bad guys’ lair and discovered the main bad guy was some kind if ghost wielding the sword. I’ve encountered such things before and knew my big sword probably wouldn’t work so I did what any questing warrior would do - went online and discovered that fire is his weakness. A couple if firespell scrolls later and the sword was mine. Now just the finsl baddie in this quest to face.

Currently, I’m just out for a stroll before going any further. It’s my favourite part about these games. Sometimes you just want to go walk in the sunshine and see what happens:)

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous came yesterday. Only had time to play a bit, and it took me a while to get through character creation, but liking it so far. Too early to say too much, though. And it's so nice to have a little handbook to read (lore rather than gameplay tips).

Printed handbooks and manuals are so rare nowadays. I fired up Stellaris to try again and found that it needed to update itself. After update, fired it up again, only to find there is no longer a tutorial (and there's never been a manual). Paradox! What are you thinking? Why don't you just put out an advert saying 'please don't buy our games' because I certainly won't be buying anymore.

Stellaris immediately powered down again (and now under threat of deletion) and back to strolling through the forests and hills of Oblivion. Ah! Calm:)

Hmm, odd. My Stellaris version (console, so a little behind) does have a tutorial, I think.

It does have lots of free updates, which is nice, but can be complex to get into. Being entirely serious, would you find it of interest if I put together one (probably written although video might not be impossible)? I'm not an expert but did effectively win (I suspended play because the Crisis was done and it was just counting time) on Grand Admiral (highest difficulty) before starting my current playthrough.

Hmm, odd. My Stellaris version (console, so a little behind) does have a tutorial, I think.
So did my PC version but now it's gone after the latest update.

Thanks for the offer and the video playthrough might be the way to go but, rather than eating up your time, I'm sure there will be things on Youtube already. I just need to find them. There seems to be a large community built around Stellaris so I think there will be a lot of stuff already out there.

What really bothers me is that (in my opinion) it appears to show a complete lack of undertsanding of their market. An example: probably the most complicated game I have is War In The Pacific: Admiral's Edition. It came out around 2007 ish and cost me £60. I still play it now and then all these years later but I always have to relearn the game first and the manual is a couple of hundred pages.

I think the same would apply to Stellaris given its apparent complexity. It's as if Paradox has decided that the market is saturated for this game and there's no point updating a tutorial for newer versions. This, I think, is fundamentally wrong. Strategy games tend to be slow burns with very long shelf lives (I still fire up Laser Squad now and again...the precursor to UFO: Eenemy Unknown). These types of games often have older players and sometimes their memory is not as good as it once was. They need manuals/tutorials etc.

Of course, It could be the case that Paradox already know this but don't really care and are happy to make their money in the short term by firing out DLC after DLC (there seems to be an awful lot of them for Stellaris) and don't work towards the long term market.

Edit: so I broke my own rule and now busy downloading Skyrim. I promise I won't play it until I get through Oblivion.
Aye right! As we say here:)

Printed handbooks and manuals are so rare nowadays. I fired up Stellaris to try again and found that it needed to update itself. After update, fired it up again, only to find there is no longer a tutorial (and there's never been a manual). Paradox! What are you thinking? Why don't you just put out an advert saying 'please don't buy our games' because I certainly won't be buying anymore.

Stellaris immediately powered down again (and now under threat of deletion) and back to strolling through the forests and hills of Oblivion. Ah! Calm:)

Paradox providing a manual ?!?!?!

If they ever, better check the weather reports, because hell will be freezing over. (Copyright Frasier, this morning on C4)

Also, all the 'tutorials' I've ever played on Paradox games seemed to be 'anti-tutorials' and confused me more on how to actually play the game. Gawd knows how I managed to work out how to play the Crusader King series. Years ago I got Victoria. Which doesn't have a steep learning curve, but a learning cliff. With few handholds, lots of razor-sharp protuberances, booby traps and wall-climbing fire ants. Still no real clue on how that game works.

Foxbat, Youtube channels like Aspec and Montu Plays have lots of useful Stellaris stuff. I think the tutorial series I checked first, ages ago, was by Quill18 but that was for a much older version of the game and much has changed since.

Foxbat, Youtube channels like Aspec and Montu Plays have lots of useful Stellaris stuff. I think the tutorial series I checked first, ages ago, was by Quill18 but that was for a much older version of the game and much has changed since.
I’ll check that out for starters:)

I've been playing fire & maneuver. It's a free early-access Napoleonic-era tactics game. Plays with the two general problem where you queue up your turns and both sides play out simultaneously.

I've been playing fire & maneuver. It's a free early-access Napoleonic-era tactics game. Plays with the two general problem where you queue up your turns and both sides play out simultaneously.
That looks interesting. The graphics remind me of Battle Academy. Your description of turn mechanics sounds like some sort of hybrid WEGO system. Combat Mission is one that comes to mind, where you can set out more than one order via waypoints for a unit and watch as it plays out over a game minute.

I'm liking Wrath of the Righteous a lot... except the bug (PS4) which happens sometimes of having info on the layer beneath other things on-screen. It's not game-breaking but is a quality of life problem. On the plus side, things are going well, though it's early game so the training wheels are still on, I think.

Had a look at some shots of Wrath Of The Righteous and it seems 3D isometric in the style Baldur's Gate and many others. Looks good

As for myself....Skyrim is now installed on my PC but I'm determined not to go near it until I've had my fill of Oblivion...must resist....

Yeah, that bug's a shame (you can work around it, but it'd tedious) but the game itself is going very nicely.

So... you're finally awake.

I don’t do Steam but I see Wrath Of The Righteous is available on GOG. One to look out for come the sales.

Today in Oblivion, I became the owner of a castle (Battlehorn). It needs renovation and that will cost a bomb so, here's a question for any Oblivion veterans...what the hell do I do with a castle?

Just got to level 4 in Wrath of the Righteous which means I got an animal companion. Went for the dog. Trip attack with bite is splendid, because standing up in Pathfinder = attacks of opportunity.

I like the balance of the initial companions too. Disregarding the one chap I left in jail, got a decent mix of melee and range, magic and mundane attacks.

Today in Oblivion, I’ve begun a side quest to solve the mystery of a missing painting in Chorrol castle. Getting absolutely nowhere. My sleuthing skills (or lack of) remind me why I would never make a good detective. Methinks I’ll wander out into the wilderness and kill something instead.

what the hell do I do with a castle?

Not a lot, in my experience. For me, the main use of buildings like this is to dump objects (knowing that they won't disappear) and to sleep in order to gain levels. You can buy extra facilities to make magic weapons, harvest magic ingredients etc, and it can look quite nice to add new bits. Personally, I would save the money. Recharging and repairing magical gear isn't cheap!

Incidentally, have you done the mission with the paranoid elf man who wants to meet behind the church yet? He's called Glarthir.

Yes. Sleeping and storage is all I've used the castle for so far.
Incidentally, have you done the mission with the paranoid elf man who wants to meet behind the church yet? He's called Glarthir.
No but I'll look out for him. I enjoy hanging around with shady characters. That's why I come here :D