What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Finally uninstalled Days Gone, otherwise i just won't stop playing.

Now installing "Hunt Down The Freeman" which is a Half-Life 2 mod. It doesn't look that great, but it should be amusing enough for a few hours. After that, i'm thinking of installing Dead Space and giving it a replay.

Last edited:
This morning I got the urge to start playing Rule The Waves. It’s a strategy game of naval arms race, technology, ship design, espionage and sea battles in the early part of the 20th century. All graphics are rudimentary but functional. I hadn’t played it in a long time and had forgotten how much of a gem this one is. I’m currently playing my custom nation - the tiny island of Grand Fenwick somewhere off the coast of South America. I’m in a phase of rising tensions with France. Two of our ships have collided at sea and it looks like the path to war.

The mouse will roar once more;)

Now installing "Hunt Down The Freeman" which is a Half-Life 2 mod.

I've been playing "Black Mesa", which is an updated version of Half-Life. I think it might be updated to work on the engine of Half-Life 2, but I'm not sure. It's pretty decent. It reminds me of just what a new, innovative game Half-Life was, but also what its flaws were. The people who updated it seem to have taken out some of the worst of the jumping stuff, which I always found extremely irritating, but there's still enough to be a pain. However, the design is great and the way the story is told is very smooth and effective.

I liked Black Mesa, but it’s thought that HL was just a little better.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is a gorgeous, glorious love letter to Science Fiction - a visual novel/graphic adventure/real time strategy (with pause!) feast. I played it originally on PS4, but my Switch copy arrived on Saturday. I was worried about how the battles would look on the handheld but they've done an amazing job. It's stunning in portable mode and looks/sounds/plays quite beautifully. It's fully voice acted (in both English and Japanese) and the music is fabulous. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Hunt Down The Freeman didn't appeal to me. Installed Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

Both games are just over a GB. Amazing really. Days Gone was 60 GB.

I didn't get on with Jedi Outcast (I hate jumping and I particularly hate jumping in first-person games) but Jedi Academy was great fun, especially where you could choose from a variety of missions. It got a bit slow towards the end but overall it was a good laugh.

On the subject of jumping, I'm at the last levels of Black Mesa. I always like weird planets that don't just look like medieval D&D land, and this looks really cool, but there is so much infuriating jumping.

I know what you mean. It wasn't so much the jumping by Kyle's "hup" that made me laugh. Always made me think of a dwarf trying to get on a womans bed.

I'm playing Jedi Academy at the moment as i lost a bit of interest in Jedi Outcast. Time has not been kind to the graphics, but the episodic format of the missions is very enjoyable and makes it an easy game to dip in and out of. I like the way they tried to introduce something different with the Swoop bike. Shame there weren't many more missions with that kind of feature.

Also, The Empire is a Health and Safety nightmare. :LOL:

Last edited:
After my recent delving into Rule The Waves reminded me just how much I enjoyed this graphically challenged game, I’ve just gone and splashed out on Rule The Waves 2 and, so far, it’s just as good as the first iteration but with some significant improvements. I’m already enjoying it a lot and, with a massive 75meg hard drive space, it outgames and outguns some games that run into the tens of gigabytes.

Judge not a game by its size but by that warm feeling it leaves you with when you hit the magazine of the enemy flagship and send it to the deep, forcing them to the negotiating table with a willingness to make some concessions.

@Foxbat That's a really good point. I just checked my Steam library and almost all of the truly great games in my own opinion and in the user reviews have fairly small space requirements by today's standards.

Rimworld takes up less than 500MB, Valheim barely over a gig, Oxygen Not Included sits at 2, and Deep Rock Galactic at 2.5GB.

Each of those has 95%+ from player recommendations compared to something like Total War Warhammer - which isn't actually that bad at all - sitting at 77% and 39GB...

Now, some of those you could say don't have the best graphics, but I'd argue that Oxygen Not Included and Deep Rock are both very nice looking games, and the first two definitely have a charm about them.

For most modern titles the graphics do seem to be what drives the size up though, often seemingly at the expense of mechanics. There's so much competition now and developers would rather just make something look good to try and grab as many sales as quickly as possible before moving on to the next game.

I find myself leaning towards the small, independent creators. Two of my favourite games (Rule The Waves and Shadow Empire) are, essentially, one-man affairs. They are created with a passion for the subject matter rather than a need to satisfy the shareholder.

Tried XCOM2 today and bounced off it super hard. Just a few missions in and I was reminded of how utterly arbitrary the gameplay is, with the clearest shots missing and the hardest scoring crits. Not to mention the mind control nonsense and timed missions that force you to basically suicide rush the objectives.

Oh well, I only spent 4 quid on the DLCs so it's not a terrible loss. Still, I should have known better... just the concept really appeals to me.

Anyone played Elite Dangerous?

I used to, yeah. Not for a few years, though, so I haven't tried it since they released the Odyssey expansion, where you can get out of the ship and walk around etc. I really enjoyed what I played, though. If you liked the original game, or Frontier, then I expect you'd love it. £4.99 on Steam is worth a punt, I'd say (although that's just the base game and doesn't include Odyssey). Best played with a flight stick and throttle control, though.

Last edited:
Yesterday I finished NieR:Automata, in that I attained endings A, B, C, D, and the "true" ending, E. Now that the Steam version has been fixed I finally got to play it properly after three or four aborted attempts in the five years since release. I could have modded it and got it running properly in that time, I guess, but didn't.

I could gush about it for ages but best not :LOL: I loved the mind-bending mash-up of gameplay genres, the fabulous combat, the gorgeous soundtrack and, most of all, the deep philosophical underpinnings of its world. I would love to forget it all and experience it again for the first time.

I need some time to fully absorb it, but it's easily in my top 5 favourite games now.

Currently finishing up A Plague Tale Innocence on the PC its a very stealth oriented game with little resource and good cover mechanics with a surprisingly good story line.

On the PS5 I tried to enjoy HOOD a game I had hoped would be a good Assassins Creed clone but the lack of SP has put me right off, shame as the opening robbery sequence really promised something new

On the Phone its only Wordle

I finished Star Wars: Jedi Academy. It was good fun, but it felt a bit short.

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. I know, I've just bought The Skywalker Saga, but I've seen a few reviews that rated this a little better and it seems like the two are quite dissimilar.

I also bought Deadspace 3. Even though i haven't gotten around to a replay of Deadspace, i wanted it to complete the set. :)

Trouble is... i reinstalled Days Gone and am playing in the sandbox at the end of the game. Hmmm. It seems i'm not quite ready to leave that world yet.

Having real trouble settling on a game to play after NieR:Automata. What do you choose after one of the best games you've ever played? I figured something completely different. I'm torn at the moment between restarting Wasteland 3 or getting Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

Still enjoying 13 Sentinels on Switch, although I'm playing that in short bursts in handheld mode.