What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I’ve tried stealth games and Invisible inc. looks very interesting, but I always get to the stage in these types of games where I just want to jump out of the shadows and gun everybody down. I guess I’m just a killer at heart.

Toby Frost

It's very much not that sort of game, but I know how you feel! Even knocking the guards out is only a temporary solution.

.matthew.

I’ve tried stealth games and Invisible inc. looks very interesting, but I always get to the stage in these types of games where I just want to jump out of the shadows and gun everybody down. I guess I’m just a killer at heart.
Ha, see that's why I liked the original Splinter Cell as a kid - normally a shoot them down guy but when they only give you a handful of bullets for the entire level you're left with no choice but to be stealthy. Have you ever played the Dishonoured games? Absolutely wonderful in almost every way and you can literally complete the missions in either stealth or brutality :) Edit: SAVAGE BRUTALITY!

It's very much not that sort of game, but I know how you feel! Even knocking the guards out is only a temporary solution.
I've had that for years, opened it up once, saw some kind of countdown timer and was like naaah. I kept meaning to give it a shot but you know how Steam libraries can get - too many games, too little lifetime.

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Have you ever played the Dishonoured games? Absolutely wonderful in almost every way and you can literally complete the missions in either stealth or brutality :) Edit: SAVAGE BRUTALITY!
I haven’t. But as you say, so many games, so little time. Maybe one day:)

thaddeus6th

Supporter
Currently into my best playthrough on King difficulty of Civ VI yet*. As China, Mali immediately disliked me so I took advantage to take them out super early with a pair of warriors. Then Cyrus did what Cyrus does and attacked me, forcing me to brutally conquer his entire empire.

At that point, with Alexander on my doorstep and denouncing me, the path was clear. There's nothing quite like carpet-bombing an opponent whose idea of advanced technology is about a thousand years earlier than my cutting edge weaponry. Just got Rome and Georgia to go, and their capitals are conveniently close. Should win in about 300 turns or so, which, for me, is very good.

Mildly puzzled it's going so well. But it's very cathartic to annihilate my enemies.

*Yes, yes, it's not that high, but given my previous full game was Civ II in 1999 I think I can be forgiven for being less than stellar.

Toby Frost

I'm currently playing Spec Ops: The Line, which, awkward title aside, is proving quite interesting. It's one of those games where you play a tactical black ops spec ghost recon man, and you hide behind cover a lot. In this, you're hunting a spec recon black ghost deniable ops man who has gone rogue in ruined Dubai. The gameplay is fine, if a bit repetitive, but it's clearly trying to do something clever with the story. There are a lot of references to Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now, and you're frequently forced to take questionable choices that seem to involve blowing up the local residents and then arguing with your men about it. (I strongly suspect that I'm going to have to kill my own men at the end.)

Clearly it's attempting to make you question the validity of pretending to kill people as a form of entertainment, and the idea that one side in a war always makes the right decisions and is morally perfect, but I'm not really sure that this works. There's a longer article to be written that vicarious simulations of violence are fun (at least for a lot of us) and that actual violence isn't and shouldn't be. In fact, by appearing to recognise this issue, Spec Ops: The Line becomes less disturbing than something like Call of Duty, which ends by telling you that 60m people died in WW2, and you have now unlocked the zombie levels. Yay, zombies!

Ultimately, I think it's a good game if you like that sort of thing, and attempts some new and interesting things. But it's not as successful in that as, say, Bioshock or The Last of Us, and I wonder if its attempt to do so is fundamentally flawed.