What Game Are You Currently Playing?

A friend of mine daren’t play WoW anymore. He was, shall we say, a little obsessive with it and in the end his wife threatened to leave him.

A friend of mine daren’t play WoW anymore. He was, shall we say, a little obsessive with it and in the end his wife threatened to leave him.
How much did he play for his wife to threaten leaving? How long were they married at the time?

I don’t know all the details but I know he was getting up at 4 in the morning so he could play it before going to work, and then played it in the evenings until stupid o’clock at night.

Played an hour or so of Civ VI (bit more, but that was tutorial stuff).

Rather more stuff than I remember in Civ II... I've already slightly cocked up a city position, although Ravenna's placed nicely. Rome ended up immediately between two barbarian encampments, but weathered the storm nicely. Control scheme could be a shade better, perhaps (a button to toggle through cities would be good). But mostly enjoying shambling my way through things.

MMO's have never held my interest gaming wise. I've tried a few but always fall down because I never maintain long term interest in them. Plus I tend to find most of the gameplay really simplistic. In their bid to have the game easy to drop into many MMO games are highly efficient and highly simplistic; and players often push for the highest DPS playstyle which means that builds are also often curtailed. The result is a game where I feel like you're not really "playing" you're "working/grinding" and the only fun aspect is the social links. Which is partly why they are so entrapping to many because the gameplay is almost a robotical level function whilst the social aspect provides its own reward.

But like I say I flip and jump between games and moods too often to stick at any MMO.

Right now I'm jumping around a bit - though I did have a mammoth playthrough of Spyro 1 and 2 and started 3 (then needed a break). Fantastic to see the work they've put into the remakes of them for PC/console. It's so rewarding to see a game updated to modern visuals, but which plays just like the originals - it tickles that nostalgia itch, whilst also giving you modern visuals and performance. It's also interesting because looking back you can see how the company behind the games changed and shifted- the experimental Spyro; the improved Spyro 2 where they polished it all up; Spyro 3 where I believe they started running out of money (you get this feeling because you start to lose a few little things from Spyro 2 such as the entering/leaving world cutscenes). You also see the multitude of characters and those side-characters that they were messing with and looking to spin-off into their own games that never came around.

Currently I´m playing Northgard. When you´re into celtic mythology and creatures and enjoy build-up simulations, you should definitively check it out. Made by indies and very fun!

I don’t know all the details but I know he was getting up at 4 in the morning so he could play it before going to work, and then played it in the evenings until stupid o’clock at night.
Sheesh. It's all about compromise. My partner doesn't mind me playing video games or lurking forums, as long as it doesn't get in the way of doing stuff together or getting out of the house once in a while.

Currently I´m playing Northgard. When you´re into celtic mythology and creatures and enjoy build-up simulations, you should definitively check it out. Made by indies and very fun!
It's nicely made, well done, has a really good feel to it. I rate it highly :)

Something very rare happened recently...I actually completed a game (the RPG Eschalon Book 1). Now starting Eschalon Book 2 and wondering if lightning will strike twice:)

Playing Civ VI. On my third game so still learning the ropes.

Making notes along the way for a review. Mostly positive, but housing is just an annoyance.

Also, I enjoy conquering enemy cities and renaming them obnoxiously. Nothing is more psychologically crushing for denizens than seeing their city fall and renamed Big Sally's Love Shack.

Yeah, it's reminiscent, in that way, of Civ II some time ago.

Going fairly well.

I'm oddly annoyed that there's a sale on the DLC (not huge, about a quarter off) as I'm still getting to grips with the game and playing on standard (Prince) difficulty so I'm not sure if I want the DLC (yet, at least). Sale ends on the 17th.

Just took my third capital, so I'm nearly halfway there. Got Aztecs, Persians, Arabs, and the Polish to go. But first, my frigate fleet is going to become a battleship fleet.

I've racked up massive warmonger penalties but nobody's actually attacked me yet, though I've been denounced a lot (which is fair enough, I've invaded everyone I could find on the same continent). Unsure if that'll last.

I downloaded Halo Master Chief files from Steam. This could be what I need to replace Half Life 2 in my gaming life.
When I first read this, I thought it said Halo Master Chef (note to self...time to get eyesight checked).

Then I thought, wouldn't a Gordon Ramsey simulator be good fun? You could collect expletive points to advance your character through the kitchen heirarchy:)

Yeah, it's reminiscent, in that way, of Civ II some time ago.

Going fairly well.

I'm oddly annoyed that there's a sale on the DLC (not huge, about a quarter off) as I'm still getting to grips with the game and playing on standard (Prince) difficulty so I'm not sure if I want the DLC (yet, at least). Sale ends on the 17th.

Just took my third capital, so I'm nearly halfway there. Got Aztecs, Persians, Arabs, and the Polish to go. But first, my frigate fleet is going to become a battleship fleet.

I've racked up massive warmonger penalties but nobody's actually attacked me yet, though I've been denounced a lot (which is fair enough, I've invaded everyone I could find on the same continent). Unsure if that'll last.
It is one of those games that's fun with mates but not so much with strangers. Until you forget to set a turn timer and have one mate who takes 15 mins to micro their apostles through your land! I had a mate who wanted to play only duel sized pangea maps where he was Sumeria so he could war cart spam and win in 10 turns. For him that was fun.

Played an hour or so of Civ VI (bit more, but that was tutorial stuff).

Rather more stuff than I remember in Civ II... I've already slightly cocked up a city position, although Ravenna's placed nicely. Rome ended up immediately between two barbarian encampments, but weathered the storm nicely. Control scheme could be a shade better, perhaps (a button to toggle through cities would be good). But mostly enjoying shambling my way through things.

I’ve been doing the same this last week (PS4) but it’s such a huge step up from the 2008 version I’m struggling with understanding city placement and all the extra facets.

Also playing Cleopatra in the tutorial with an advisor with a Keighley accent is... disconcerting.

pH

Yeah, it seems rivers/lakes are very important, certainly within aqueduct range.

One thing I don't like is that cultural flipping of cities, which was in Civ Rev, is only in the expansion here. Seems more like a core game mechanic to me.

Deleted: didn't think this went through, but it did so twice.

Last edited:
I played about six hours of CKII last night and had a blast. I raised my daughter to be a warrior queen of the Scottish tribal lands, circa 800 AD. Her martial stats are above 20 by the time she hit 18. After the second battle she got punctured by a spear and earned the "disfigured" trait for life *womp womp*. However, I'm not trying to let that stop her from ruling with an iron fist. 20 years later, she's grown to own duchy and has several large vassals supporting her. The whole, from her line, will be to conquer Scotland.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2, which is a lot of fun, but unfortunately I've run up against the bit I could never get past (the carnival games in Venice) and I'll have to give it up again. Thief 2 continues to be excellent, especially the huge number of very good fan missions out there.