What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've been playing Vermintide recently, which is basically Left For Dead in the Warhammer setting, with Skaven (that's rat-men) instead of zombies. Despite some extra bells and whistles, it's pretty mindless, but it works well and the graphics look excellent (my excuse is that I'm researching how to make model buildings). The Skaven all sound like Gollum when angry, and the characters are suitably over the top (the wizard, who sounds like an angry grand dame of the theatre, is my current person). Decent stuff. The only bad thing is that you can't play it offline, even if you're on your own.
I saw someone play this on YouTube, they played as a dwarf which was fine until he hit the long grass/corn field. His fellow players thought it was hilarious.

Phantasy Star IV is one of the best games I've ever played.

I saw someone play this on YouTube, they played as a dwarf which was fine until he hit the long grass/corn field. His fellow players thought it was hilarious.

Oddly, the dwarf's shortness is one of the running jokes between the characters in the in-game dialogue. You'd have thought that the designers would have considered this. Or maybe they did.

Yeah, so I've heard. I probably won't play III, not soon anyway, but I'll play II and IV for sure. I've no idea why I didn't play these games on original release as I had both a Mega Drive and the attachment that allowed it to play Master System games. Probably gives an indication how my tastes in genres has changed since then.

Don't skip III.

I don't understand what people had against III. It wasn't that bad -- a bit grindy maybe -- but I actually prefer it to II. And the story is actually quite good. It has some nice twists to it. I liked that in III you could change the story by decisions you made during the game. I think there is like 8 different routes you can take.

There is a bit of a misunderstanding that it doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the series, which isn't actually true. There are references to III in IV.

Just starting Observation.

Very atmospheric and interesting story. Kinda a puzzle game, but very story-led. Looks gorgeous.

Basically it gives off a 2001 vibe and you play as HAL trying to help (? just started so...maybe not) the human on your ship.

Don't skip III.

I don't understand what people had against III. It wasn't that bad -- a bit grindy maybe -- but I actually prefer it to II. And the story is actually quite good. It has some nice twists to it. I liked that in III you could change the story by decisions you made during the game. I think there is like 8 different routes you can take.

There is a bit of a misunderstanding that it doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the series, which isn't actually true. There are references to III in IV.

Interesting, you're the first person who's said that to me. Hmm. I'll have to see how I feel come the time. I don't want to Phantasy Star myself out before getting to IV, cos not playing that one would seem to be the bigger crime. I'm even tempted to jump straight to IV and play that first, but I'm not sure then if I'd ever go back to II and III.

So many games to play, too little time.

Interesting, you're the first person who's said that to me. Hmm. I'll have to see how I feel come the time. I don't want to Phantasy Star myself out before getting to IV, cos not playing that one would seem to be the bigger crime. I'm even tempted to jump straight to IV and play that first, but I'm not sure then if I'd ever go back to II and III.

So many games to play, too little time.

Just mix it up with other games.

Thinking about it more, i do remember that the movement speed in III was quite slow so it took ages to cross a zone but thats such a minor thing. It is also probably the hardest out of them all.

Just mix it up with other games.

Yeah, that's a given. I won't be getting to them for a while - I have to at least finish FFX, Radiant Historia, and now Monster Hunter Stories, plus I really, really want to get to Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and FFVI.

That said, only FFX out of those is on Switch, so I may go for Phantasy Star II for my next game on it.

Not playing it now, but played a bit of FFIV (re-release for Playstation) and the Cecil/Kain[sp] storyline was really good. I liked FFV's job system too (FFXII Zodiac Age has something similar but the outfits are locked, which is a shame).

Doom (the original). I say original but I've installed a load of stuff so it's now in proper 3D. Also discovered Doomworld with loads of wads to download play. Great fun:)

Doom (the original). I say original but I've installed a load of stuff so it's now in proper 3D. Also discovered Doomworld with loads of wads to download play. Great fun:)

I remember the days of Doom modding. There were some total conversions out there that were absolutely spectacular, like the Aliens TC and the X-Men one.

Making progress in FFX (currently in Bevelle). Played a few more hours of Monster Hunter Stories and also Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on 3DS. For all the praise for Monster Hunter World being the most accessible of the MH games, and as much as I love that game, I've found 4U to be the most approachable.

I'm guessing it's not a spoiler but I'll keep it vague anyway: I always found Bevelle a bit disappointing.

In FFXII, I've been blocked by a forest and given directions by a village full of bunnygirls. I'm enjoying the hunts too. One change for the PS4 Zodiac edition is that the bestiary artwork, which I really liked in the PS2 version, has been replaced with models of the enemies. Minor point, but a shade disappointing. Really rather enjoying the game, though.

Outer Worlds does look tasty.

This has me intrigued. I'm not a big fan of the Tales games, but it looks like they've made major changes to the combat if this is anything to go by.