Books similar to Hobb's Style?

Hashashin

So, I have read the Farseer, Liveship and Tawnyman series. Now I am left with one question, What next?

I like Hobb's perspective and detail of writing, it was probably the most enjoyable read I've ever had, but now I'm looking for a new SERIES to get hooked onto.

I don't really mind the author, but someone close to Hobb's style is preffered. I like the usual assassin-like themes, the outright good guy or even the straightfoward, ruthless anti-hero. Anti-heroes are my favorite.

As of right now I've read the Shanarra stuff, most of Neil Gaiman, Robin Hobb's series, Dragonbone Chair series, Elric/Eternal Champion stories, Legend of Nightfall, the new Way of Shadows series, Wheel of Time and much more. Though some of these don't fit the structure I asked for, this is a general view of my tastes in novels.

So anyone got any ideas for my next reading adventure?:confused:

Note: I don't want to read any of that Eragon crap, read about the first book and the low/undeveloped detail was boring.:mad:

I with you on Eragon. :p

Hobb has written a fourth trilogy set in a different world called the Soldier Son trilogy. Some dislike it, others rather enjoy it (I'm in this latter camp). It might be worth seeing if you can find it.

You might enjoy Jennifer Fallon's books - the Second Son trilogy, the Demon Child trilogy and the Hythrun Chronicles (depending on where you live, the Demon Child trilogy might be lumped in with the Hythrun Chonicles).

I can't really think of other authors that develop their characters as Hobb does. I've got a sneaking suspicion that David Gemmell might be a good line to go down, but I've only read a couple of his so I can't say for sure.

Welcome to the Chrons, Hashashin

Try the Empire Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts.

Though it's set in the same worlds as the Riftworld saga by Feist alone, IMHO it's far superior, and develops the character and standing of the chief protagonist extremely effectively.

Oh, by the way, if you go here and tell us a bit more about yourself and your likes and dislikes, you'll find all sorts of interesting and helpful people will say "Hello!" to you...:D

The Age of Misrule series by Mark Chadbourn emphasizes character development over action. It's modern fantasy though (the world is plunged into a new dark age when the old Celtic Gods return to the world).

Thanks for the quick replies. Also, since Lenny suggested it, I'm looking into the Jennifer Fallon's series. From what I've read about its reviews, its a good read so thanks for that info.

Also, does the Empire Trilogy include characters from the past books by Raymond Feist? I like the character Pug from the beginning but I think the story progessed far enough to his sons, right? Any info on that would be really nice.

Lastly, does this Age of Misrule involve more modern technology in its story?

Also, does the Empire Trilogy include characters from the past books by Raymond Feist? I like the character Pug from the beginning but I think the story progessed far enough to his sons, right? Any info on that would be really nice.
The short answer is "yes" - the Riftwar series and the Empire trilogy run at the same time, just at either side of the Rift, and there is a certain amount of cross-Rift travel by certain characters.

But to my mind, the Empire books are far superior in plot and characterisation to the Riftwar ones - the input of Janny Wurts really makes a big difference, especially to the latter, and character development was the main concern of your earlier post, yes?...

Hey Hashashin! I'm a massive Hobbs fan, and I second Lenny's recommendation of Jennifer Fallon. I recently finished the Hythrun Chronicles and thoroughly enjoyed them (looking forward to getting into her other trilogies) - I think you'll find the anti-heroes and character development you seek. The first book in those Chronicles is Wolfblade, if you are interested.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm looking into all of your suggestions and am sure I'll get a new series to get on soon.

No problem - but do have a look around the rest of the site - there's all sorts of interesting threads here, especially on books and authors....:)

I must admit that I am really drawn to Robin's style as well. I first picked up one of her books in the spring and have since read 8 of her books and will be starting the Liveship series today. I don't know that you will find anything out there that matches the style and quality of Hobb and that is what makes her so great. She is 100& original if you ask me.

There is an author out there who I have been very impressed with and that is Brandon Sanderson. Elantris is spectaular and I am knee deep in his second book in the Mistborn series. His style if effortless and his ideas are some of the freshest I have come accross in a long time.

Check him out if you get the chance

Definatly the first Dune novel and the first Enders Game novel. They are very Hobb ish to me.

carol berg. she writes in first person, as hobb does. and in her demon series, starting with transformation, the 'hero' is a bit of a jerk (i liked him tho!) and is similiar to fitze, in that he has a duty, a destiny, and someone else knows about it and is guiding him, only we see it from that pov, rather than from the hero's. all her male characters have flaws, are very human, and i really enjoyu tehm, even tho some are better than others. song of beast, in particular, is ace. and her lighthouse duet.

Paul Kearney's Sea Beggars reminded me off Hobb's Assassin book.

If Hobb had made the main character more interesting i would enjoyed that series.

Kearney made that come through with similar hero. The world,action,story was good but i was most impressed by character depth. Not only for the young male hero but all the others too.

Im not dissing Hobb im just saying if you like her there is a chance you will enjoy Paul Kearney's Sea Beggars series.

If you are looking heroic fantasy with historical themes,good characters,action/adventure David Gemmell is rightly seeing at the best in that kind of fantasy.

The short answer is "yes" - the Riftwar series and the Empire trilogy run at the same time, just at either side of the Rift, and there is a certain amount of cross-Rift travel by certain characters.

But to my mind, the Empire books are far superior in plot and characterisation to the Riftwar ones - the input of Janny Wurts really makes a big difference, especially to the latter, and character development was the main concern of your earlier post, yes?...

Characterization, yes, plot, no.

I second the Empire trilogy and David Gemmell, although IMO Empire is probably closer to Hobb's style. I think because of their collaboration, Empire became rather unique and a completely different animal from anything else either Wurts or Feist wrote on their own (and yes, it's much better than Riftwar). Only problem is there are only three books :p.

But, if you really want the full dose of anti-heroism, Hobbs' Soldier Son Trilogy is your best bet. I almost got clinically depressed reading it, and will never make it to book 3. Or you can always go for Stephen Donaldson. Any of his series would do (Thomas Covenant, GAP series, Mordant's Need). Donaldson's worlds don't have heroes, only anti-heroes.

- Dreir -

Yeah I am reading the second Empire book and the last Soldier son book right now. I don't let myself get depressed by books any more...although I did stop reading the Donaldson books after the 4th one because I found them so depressing. I was a teenager then and teenagers tend to already be depressed so I found it hard to read...I am planning on doing a reread of the Covenant books so I can finish them.

I like breaking up the emotionally tough books with some lighter ones like Feist or Eddings. I would also suggest reading Brandon Sanderson...very good books.

If you want good books to read, there are two authors i must suggest.

Brandon Sanderson, and George R R Martin (who has his own subforum here i think)

Both of them are amazing in characterization and plot. Brandon Sanderson has written 5 books that i know of, and George R R Martin has written 4.

Brandon Sanderson first. He has written a trilogy and two stand alone novels. The main reason i love his books is that he is very imaginative. As you know, most books set in fantasy worlds have thier own forms of magic. Indeed, i like Robin Hobbs books alot because of thier interesting magic systems. The Skill + Wit are both pretty different to anything i have seen before.

Brandon Sanderson is very good in that area too, with more then 3 different kinds of magics being juggled around in his trilogy, and both of his stand-alone novels and unique magic systems. Also, if you like the 'assassin' theme, and good fights, you will enjoy his books, because in them i have found some of the most detailed fight scenes i have ever found. (Have you ever noticed that in most books, the fight scenes very quickly degenerate into vague descriptions, leaving you with no real sense of the fight at all. Not so with Brandon Sanderson, in his books, you can imagine every move in your head, because he describes them all.) And of course, alot of jumping and sneaking around in the darkness.

His trilogy is called the Mistborn trilogy, and his stand alone books are called Warbreaker and Elantris. Mistborn is easily the best, but Warbreaker is suprisingly good, with a very solid plot, considering how short it is (around 500-600 pages, i think) Elantris is very good, but not as good as the other two. Yet for his first ever published novel, it was very good.

And then, of course, George R R Martin.

Im sorry all, and while Robin Hobb is among my three favorate authors, no author is as good as GRRM.

No other author has ever given me such a sense of connection to his/her characters, or ever made such a good, realistic world as he. His world really feels like a world to you, and his characters are so great.

He is in the middle of a series called A Song of Ice and Fire, a 7 book long epic series. He is near the end of the fifth book now. The books go - 'A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords (In Britian, is it split into two books, A Storm of Swords, Steel and Snow, and A Storm of Swords, Blood and Gold) and A Feast for Crows. His next book, A Dance with Dragons, has no official release date yet, but is near completion, and the name of the sixth book, The Winds of Winter, has been announced.

Check them out :)

You wont be dissapointed :)

I would suggest Roger Zelazny's 'Chronicles of Amber' starting with Nine Princes in Amber.

Really really good book, has political intrigue, fight for the throne, self-discovery etc and is told in first person, like Hobb.