Another film I am trying to find...

Phocus

Okay, seems I am having no luck with finding the first film I saw as a kid. Here is another one...

Color
I'm guessing made in the 60's
Explorers on Mars (I think it's Mars, could be Venus)
They discover a dead civilization
The scene I remember is a great hallway/tunnel/chamber where they are looking at the corpse of one of the Martians through dirty glass (like a sleep chamber but I think it was meant to be a crypt). The floor is covered in sand as the civilization is ancient and in ruins. The Martian looks insect-like (Praying Mantis like head). They're discussing the extinction of the civilization and wondering what they were like while standing in front of the dead Martian. I don't think they ever see any live Martians in the movie, but come across their technology.

I've looked at clips of THE ANGRY RED PLANET and it isn't the film.

Ahhhhhhhhhh - you are killing me. I moved to the US about three months ago and had to leave all my reference books back home

I know this film, reckon I saw it once as a kid. The scene you describe is towards the end of the movie. I think they try to break one of the containers to get an artifact and the city is booby trapped or something. I am sure there was a girl was part of the crew.

Ahhhhhhhhhh - you are killing me. I moved to the US about three months ago and had to leave all my reference books back home

I know this film, reckon I saw it once as a kid. The scene you describe is towards the end of the movie. I think they try to break one of the containers to get an artifact and the city is booby trapped or something. I am sure there was a girl was part of the crew.

YES! That sounds like it. What reference books did you have? That movie in my previous thread has been impossible to find, I was hoping this one would be a success.

YES! That sounds like it. What reference books did you have? That movie in my previous thread has been impossible to find, I was hoping this one would be a success.

Well my Bibile was Phil Hardys "History Of Science Fiction Films" Simply outstanding, goes from the 1890's to 1983, when it was printed

I also had a number of bio's such as George Pal, Karlof, and a number of specific studio books such as the History of Warner, Fox, RKO. I never bought MGM books, they never made enough science fiction.

I think there is a new edition of Hardy's book out, but I have not chased it up yet.

If I could find some detailed plot outlines online, I could figure this film out. I have it down to about three or four. I am certain there were three male and one female in the crew. So that makes it easy.

Funny thing, like you, I cant remember anything else about that movie except that scene.....so either the scene was brillant, or the rest of the film was really forgetable

Shades of late night television; I also saw this one as a kid; you are right mostly it was pretty bad (probably why I can't remember the title).
It was definitely Mars; If I remember correctly there is a seemingly endless sequence of running away (down the same corridor with vertical tube/pipe walls) as the city/installation collapses.

Enjoy!

It might be wizard of mars aka
Alien Massacre (USA) (video title) aka
Horrors of the Red Planet (USA) (video title) aka
Journey Into the Unknown

Last edited:
Shades of late night television; I also saw this one as a kid; you are right mostly it was pretty bad (probably why I can't remember the title).
It was definitely Mars; If I remember correctly there is a seemingly endless sequence of running away (down the same corridor with vertical tube/pipe walls) as the city/installation collapses.

Enjoy!

It might be wizard of mars aka
Alien Massacre (USA) (video title) aka
Horrors of the Red Planet (USA) (video title) aka
Journey Into the Unknown

Looked at clips of the above movie and it's definitely not it. Thanks anyways though...

I am wondering, could this have been an episode of something like "Outer Limits" or similar science fiction anthology show from the time. Enough people remember seeing it, but no one can spot the movie

Just a thought

I am wondering, could this have been an episode of something like "Outer Limits" or similar science fiction anthology show from the time. Enough people remember seeing it, but no one can spot the movie

Just a thought

It's possible, I'm going from a childhood memory here. I'm really leaning towards it being a movie though. You're recollection of it gave me a glimmer of hope. The scene I described is definitely at the end of the movie, and I too remember things crumbling down around them as they try and escape.

Spoiler alert;
At the end of First Men in the Moon the moon city collapses; I don't remember if there is a view of a Selenite (sp?) (ant like moon inhabitant) at the end or not, but by the end they have all died.

Enjoy!

The First Men in The Moon (1964) had quite a few live creatures. The desciption of the movie does sound familiar. It almost sounds like Quatermass and the Pit but that took place on Earth.

I am very familar with Quatermass and the Pit...And I know the exact scene you are talking about. But I have a distinct memory of the film the OP is refering to as well. If anyone is looking for it, also known as 5 million years to Earth...great film