Re-reading Sandman

Shoegaze99

Hey hey, I mentioned it in another thread, but figure any chance to talk about Sandman is a good one, so ...

I just finished a re-read of the whole Sandman saga, just in time for the 20th Anniversary of the first issue's release, and was lucky enough to write about my re-read for Weird Tales magazine. The 10-part series will be appearing on their website over the next two weeks. Here's what we have so far:

Introduction
Sandman Vol. 1 - Preludes & Nocturnes
Sandman Vol. 2 - The Doll's House
The next parts will follow daily, Monday through Friday.

It really is a fantastic comic series. It had been quite a few years since I read it, and while I always held it in high esteem, I forgot how truly amazing it really is.

So hey, if you haven't read it in a while, pull out your graphic novels or issues and read along. I bet bet you forgot just how good it was.

Sorry Shoegaze - it's taken me a year to notice your thread! However, I'm just reading Volume V: A Game of You, and really enjoyed your commentary on it. So many thanks - I shall read your other columns shortly. Cheers! :)

Good summaries ! My favourite remains Seasons of Mist and I loved what Mike Carey did with Lucifer afterwards.

Best wishes,
Dirk

My wife bought me the Absolute Edition Vol. 1 and I just started to re-read the series. I was going to let her read it next, but I forgot how much horror was in the early stories. The diner scene is pretty gory stuff and my wife dislikes excessive violence, so we'll see. Great stuff though can't wait to get to Season of Mists.

I recently finished reading the original series and was blown away. It instantly became my all time favorites series. Since then I've managed to read as many of the spin-offs that I can get my hands on. The only one I haven't really enjoyed so far was the Bast mini series. Currently I'm about 20 or so issues into The Dreaming which I'm really enjoying.