Looking for short story title or author

wemedge

Hey all. Just registered today and this is my first post.

This may be very vague and I may be asking way too much but there is a short story I have been looking for for 20 years.

Back in high school, we had a science fiction/fantasy class that focused on short stories. One that really get my attention was one with a futuristic war theme.

The story is: In the future, the US and USSR (or two similar nations) resolve all international disputes by having a "game". 100 soldiers from each side are placed into a combat zone and the team left standing wins concessions from the other nation. The arena is small, only a few miles if I recall. Anyway, the American side is all wiped out but for one guy. The Soviets think they have won and are celebrating when the American guy tosses a grenade, killing the last Soviets and possibly himself.

As I said, I reads this story back in like 1987 or so and my recollections are a little sketchy. Anyway, if anyone has ever read this story or might have a lead for me, I very much would appreciate it.

Regards.

My first thought was that it might be one of the Mack Reynolds "Frigid Fracas" series, but since I didn't see any comment about the restriction of weapons to per-1900, nor corporations competing as well as nations, I suspect it can't be.

If I remember, it was military hardware common to the age (cold war). No mechanized units or lasers or etc. No corporations were involved either. It was almost like an olympics thing, happening every 10 years (if memory serves). All I remember was that the losing nation paid the winning nation millions in prize money and that the "game" was designed to counter nuclear brinksmanship.

I'll look into the Mack Reynolds stuff though. And thanks for answering.

I remember this story but unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it. I want to say I read in in college, which would put it in the late 80s. I specifically remember the ending, where the sole survivor doesn't deal well with the aftermath. I am pretty certain that it wasn't Mack Reynolds.

I remember this story but unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it. I want to say I read in in college, which would put it in the late 80s. I specifically remember the ending, where the sole survivor doesn't deal well with the aftermath. I am pretty certain that it wasn't Mack Reynolds.

It is older than that - I encountered it in the 70's Looking around, I reckon it was in Combat SF edited by Gordon R Dickson.

Here is the list of contents and a number of these stories are familiar, especially HORARS Of war......brilliant

Combat SF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looked through the Combat SF entry. I don't think it is in there. I recognize most of the stories, and could get enough info on the others to be doubtful that any of them are it. I'm wondering if it isn't Bruce McAllister's "Victor", but that is just speculation as I can't find any evidence one way or another.

did any one ever find out the author and title of this story.
a couple more vague thoughts to add to the description.
I read it in 1979-80ish, small chance a year or two later.
I thought I still had the anthology it was in but no luck there. I also remember an opening scene where the protagonist squashes a bug ... as well as a scene where he walks into a house and rapes a woman with no consequences (because no laws apply to him or are simply overlooked because of the money etc involved).
with the hubbub about the hunger games I was trying to find the story for my daughter.

I had just posted this to a new thread, but will follow up on yodachan's response:

'Hi, I've been reminded, by The Hunger Games, of a short story I read many years
ago; where international conflicts were resolved in a large open battlefield, by
individual champions for each society. The victor of these war games became
highly revered, and unfettered by ethical & legal concerns. My thought is that
it may have been called either'The Victor', or 'The Champion, but I'm not sure.
Any possible help? I believe the short story ends with the champion heade for
the house of a female neighbour, presumably to create mischief.

Thanks!'

rasmussen101
Anything further on your response to wemedge? Your rape reference sounds reminiscent. I've contacted Bruce McAllister, on the yodachan post, but it doesn't sound like his "Victor".

Best,
Ian

I also read this while in High School 82-85, but have no idea what it is.

I remember that the winner of the competition was injured and the other team thought they had won the battle when he threw a grenade and killed all of them to win the fight for the United States.

Hm unless it's out of copyright or the author has made it freely availalbe on the web I'm not sure we should be posting full copies of short stories on the forum!

While not being a copyright attorney, I believe I saw that it was written in the 60s. Although, I see someone has already deleted the posts so the point is moot.

And if there's any doubt (not that I think the work is out of copyright; it almost certainly isn't, at least not here in the European Union, where copyright persists for seventy years after the author's death), posts containing a third party's work cannot remain in this thread. So now they've been removed.

While not being a copyright attorney, I believe I saw that it was written in the 60s. Although, I see someone has already deleted the posts so the point is moot.

According to Wiki:
Works published or registered before 1978 currently have a maximum copyright duration of 95 years from the date of publication, if copyright was renewed during the 28th year following publication (such renewal was made automatic by the Copyright Renewal Act of 1992; prior to this the copyright would expire after 28 years if not renewed). The date of death of the author is not a factor in the copyright term of such works.
The work was published in 1965, which means that the author had until 1993 to renew their copyright. However, the work is covered by the provisions of the Copyright Renewal Act of 1992**. That would suggest that the work is in copyright intil 2060***.

** - Also from Wiki:
Works copyrighted between January 1, 1964 and December 31, 1977 are affected by the 1992 Amendment.

*** - Or 2021 (= 1993+28), as the second link I quoted goes on to say:
Renewal registration for these works was made optional by this amendment, and a second term was automatically secured.

I'm sorry, I thought because of its age the copyright had ended... I will be sure not to do it again. Again, I apologize...