Opinions on David Weber

As Honor Harrington is "Horatio Hornblower in space", at least in terms of inspiration, the political nature of Manticore should not really be surprising. (And neither should some of the names of those near the top of the pile in the Republic of Haven.)

I've only read the first two books, but thought a guessing name game might be fun.

Are there any Carringtons, de Montforts, Beauforts, Cranmers, Pitts, or Foxes?

Vertigo, ah, not my strong point.

I haven't read much Weber, just a few of the Honor Harrington books which I have found to be very enjoyable. I should revisit that universe.

I was getting tired of reading sword & sorcery years back, so changed to Sci-Fi and Honor Harrington was the series I grabbed. I was blow away - overall - and finished the first 11 books and started re-reading them all over again. Have read those 11 books a total of three times. Have the following books but they did not deal with Honor as much. Yes, the later books did get thick into interstellar politics quite a bit, but overall I enjoyed them.

I was getting tired of reading sword & sorcery years back, so changed to Sci-Fi and Honor Harrington was the series I grabbed. I was blow away - overall - and finished the first 11 books and started re-reading them all over again. Have read those 11 books a total of three times. Have the following books but they did not deal with Honor as much. Yes, the later books did get thick into interstellar politics quite a bit, but overall I enjoyed them.

Would also recommend Bolos for the Honor of the Regiment series .

My all time favorite series. And I agree that the later books do not matchup to the former. You might be interested in knowing that David Weber intended to kill Honor off (my memory does not give me the exact when) but did not because some of the "Honorverse" stories that others wrote brought in a twist that caused him not to finish. By the way, some of the Honorverse books are really good as well.

I have enjoyed David Weber's books, including his joining with John Ringo's March Upcountry. For the HH series, in those later books ( sorry been a few years since I've read them ) I was sooo looking forward to another book about Honor that when I started reading about others, just took me by surprise. But the first time I read those 11 books and was just awed by his writing and the story I couldn't help it and go back for second's and thirds and a partial fourth's. When I told my friends they though I was nuts - especially after going through 11 thick books the first time.

Oh, right. No, I did not know that Honor was intended to be killed. That would have sucked!

I'm surprised none of the large streaming services have optioned the Honor Harrington stories as a series. A strong female lead and a rich universe which seems to work well. what's not to enjoy.