Brandon Sanderson

ratsy

Just thought I would recommend to everyone Brandon Sanderson. I have read Elantris, Mistborn and am currently reading the Well of Ascension. I am a huge fan of his style. The premise for Mistborn was great. Just the idea...what would happen if the hero destined in prophecy to save the world, failed. This story started 1,000 years after that and the world was run by a man named the Lord Ruler who rose up as a god after the prophesized hero failed. Brilliant if you ask me and Elantris was just as spectacular.

If any of you get a chance, pick up one of his books and try it. I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

I bought Elantris the other day and have it sitting on my shelf. Once I get caught up on Jim Butcher and George Martin, I'll have the dilemma of choosing between Elantris and Name of the Wind to read next!

I thought the ending of the third book was quite disappointing, almost ruined the book for me. :(

I bought Elantris the other day and have it sitting on my shelf. Once I get caught up on Jim Butcher and George Martin, I'll have the dilemma of choosing between Elantris and Name of the Wind to read next!

Thats funny...I bought my brother a signed copy of Elantris for christmas and bought him the name of the wind in paperback as well.

Both great, original reads. Elantris is a stand alone novel so you wont have to wait forever to get it's next one in the series.

I quite liked The Final Empire and thought it was a decent read, though maybe a bit overhyped. For some reason I couldn't be bothered finishing the Well of Ascension; it was too depressing and boring without Kelsier. Maybe it's because I started this series and Scott Lynchs Gentleman Bastards trilogy at the same time, and Lynchs seemed to grab my attention more, but I don't think Sanderson's as great as others make him out to be (no offense meant).

I quite liked The Final Empire and thought it was a decent read, though maybe a bit overhyped. For some reason I couldn't be bothered finishing the Well of Ascension; it was too depressing and boring without Kelsier. Maybe it's because I started this series and Scott Lynchs Gentleman Bastards trilogy at the same time, and Lynchs seemed to grab my attention more, but I don't think Sanderson's as great as others make him out to be (no offense meant).

Interesting. I just finished the second Scott Lynch book in that series and it was a huge disappointment to me.

So if one is going to dive into Brandon Sanderson, which is better? Elantris or Mistborn? Elantris does sound intriguing, but the reviews I've seen for Mistborn on goodreads are pretty unformly excellent and the premise is fascinating.

How epic fantasy is Sanderson's series ? Is it more heroic,simpler than worldshattering,20 characters series alà Erikson,GRRM?

Just wondering. There is a type of epic i have tried and struggled with more than others

Interesting. I just finished the second Scott Lynch book in that series and it was a huge disappointment to me.

So if one is going to dive into Brandon Sanderson, which is better? Elantris or Mistborn? Elantris does sound intriguing, but the reviews I've seen for Mistborn on goodreads are pretty unformly excellent and the premise is fascinating.

I would read Elantris first. It was a very well done stand alone book. One of the most original things I have ever read. I am still reading the second in the Mistborn books and it has slowed down but is still a good read.

Sanderson is not Epic in the GRRM sense at all. He only focuses on a few characters and the settings are very limited. But the story lines are very strong and his writing style is very nice.

Then i might as well try him and stop thinking too many Epic/high are like GRRM which wasnt to my taste.

Elantris being stand alone is good. It feels refereshing to try something that isnt a first of a long series.

Him,Kearney,The Name of the wind author im trying in coming weeks.

Rothfuss is having issues releasing his second book...very well done though...one of my favorite "magic" forms in it...more like science than magic though.

Mistborn also has a fantastic "magic" system...so refreshing to have new ideas

Rothfuss is having issues releasing his second book...very well done though...one of my favorite "magic" forms in it...more like science than magic though.

Mistborn also has a fantastic "magic" system...so refreshing to have new ideas

Reading magical martial arts in the blurb made me go "really ? " in a positive way.

Since Elantris is much harder to get i changed to The Final Empire who is availible in the library. The hole hero failing,the magic system, everything else in the synopsis sounded better than Elantris to me anyway.

Then i might as well try him and stop thinking too many Epic/high are like GRRM which wasnt to my taste.

Elantris being stand alone is good. It feels refereshing to try something that isnt a first of a long series.

Him,Kearney,The Name of the wind author im trying in coming weeks.

It took me a long time to get into GRRM... almost a book and a half. But then it finally clicked and I loved it. It also helped to be on break/vacation so I didn't have things hanging over me to distract me. But I'm intimidated by Erikson... I like Martin, but I'm not sure I can handle another massive epic series like that.

Misborn is done I think... it's only 3 books and none of them are as long as GRRM's smallest, so it seems a bit more manageable than most.

Yeah, I have read the first of Eriksons and have been sitting on Deadhouse Gates for quite some time. For some reason I cant bring myself to open it. I think part of the problem is that they use the old style paper and writing size. If you compare an 800 page book to Eriksons 900page book, his are twice the size? Must be a marketing thing??? Also I hear that you have to read up to the later books for things to get tied together, so for 4000 pages you sit there scratching your head.

I am more for the trilogy, you know that it will end after the 3rd book.

Since im reading Mistborn i thought i should share my thoughts about it.

Three things make me care for it unlike the last epic series/authors i have read.

The premise,the world with Lord Rule,the opressed Skaa.

The Allomancy, im on page 100 something when i read the first time Keissler used his powers against the Hazekillers wow. It was so exciting. It felt like a struggle despite how powerful,rare a Mistborn is. Its a very interesting magic system. Its more of a martial art when you used it in a fight.

The failed hero i keep wondering reading his thoughts before every new chapter who he was and if he has something to do with the story despite it being 1,000 years later. Other than of course failing and opening way for Lord Ruler.

Can someone tell me without spoiling if you will know more about the hero who failed ? If he is more than the premise of a failed prophesized hero ?

Other than im really glad its only 3 books. You want to know their near impossible mission of taking down The Final Empire will end.

Since im reading Mistborn i thought i should share my thoughts about it.

Three things make me care for it unlike the last epic series/authors i have read.

The premise,the world with Lord Rule,the opressed Skaa.

The Allomancy, im on page 100 something when i read the first time Keissler used his powers against the Hazekillers wow. It was so exciting. It felt like a struggle despite how powerful,rare a Mistborn is. Its a very interesting magic system. Its more of a martial art when you used it in a fight.

The failed hero i keep wondering reading his thoughts before every new chapter who he was and if he has something to do with the story despite it being 1,000 years later. Other than of course failing and opening way for Lord Ruler.

Can someone tell me without spoiling if you will know more about the hero who failed ? If he is more than the premise of a failed prophesized hero ?

Other than im really glad its only 3 books. You want to know their near impossible mission of taking down The Final Empire will end.

Yes, you will find out and, if you are like me, it will be a shocker.

Yes, you will find out and, if you are like me, it will be a shocker.

I just hope it isnt predictable cause that would ruin the hole history of the fallen hero and the current story.

Something i hope about the next books and the rest of the first book is that Vin grows as a person fast. She hasnt changed in personality. Im getting weary of Reen(sp?) inspired thoughts.

I was wondering if there was several others Sanderson fans who have read Mistborn series ?

I wanted to a create another thread to talk about those books so we dont spoil other Sanderson fans who havent read it in this general Sanderson thread.

I enjoyed Mistborn and would like to see a thread where people could take about it and the other two books with spoilers.

I was wondering if there was several others Sanderson fans who have read Mistborn series ?

I wanted to a create another thread to talk about those books so we dont spoil other Sanderson fans who havent read it in this general Sanderson thread.

I enjoyed Mistborn and would like to see a thread where people could take about it and the other two books with spoilers.

I think you made a wise choice deciding to read Mistborn instead of Elantris. I finished Elantris over my break and it was pretty disappointing. Kinda boring really. However, I can see he has talent as a writer and definitely has some creative story ideas, so I may yet give Mistborn a chance.

I think you made a wise choice deciding to read Mistborn instead of Elantris. I finished Elantris over my break and it was pretty disappointing. Kinda boring really. However, I can see he has talent as a writer and definitely has some creative story ideas, so I may yet give Mistborn a chance.

You will like Mistborn. Its a good read,series. I recommended to my brother who is casual fantasy fan who the day after recommended to my sister. They have read book 2,3 already. So there must be something good with the series. Normally i must nag for days before they read a good recommendation ;)

** Possible Spoiler in Paragraph 3 (if you've not read Mistborn) **

Last weekend, I went to the bookstore and there was no Well of Ascension. I finished Final Empire a few months ago but only now have the chance to continue to the second book, and it's *not* there! I didn't take it very well.. :p

Yeah, I think skipping Elantris was a good move. In the reviews that I've read, they almost uniformly say that Elantris ends up disappointing, and Mistborn (the first book, at least) is much better.

** Spoiler alert **

As to the latter, I'm pretty much still in awe of the Lord Ruler. He's just so cool. I'd correctly guessed near the end that getting rid of him was a mistake, and was almost desperately screaming for the 'foolish' good guys to realise that. Kelsier's not bad, too, and in a sense I am pretty worried about how book 2 would be like without either of these guys!

** Spoiler Ends **

There's something I don't quite agree about the hype over the series, though. It is presented as a non-traditional fantasy in which the good guys fail(ed). Well, the story we're reading isn't about the Hero who failed one thousand years ago. In the story we're reading, the good guys still triumph in the end (of book 1, anyway). It's still about a quest to throw down an evil oppressor that finally succeeds. Sounds like standard/traditional fantasy to me..

Unless, of course, there's a really huge twist at the end of book 3 in which evil wins. Is there? Or have I said too much? :p

- Dreir -