Re-read Farseer and Read Soldier Son Trilogy

Err, you really need to read Farseer before Tawny Man. You can get away with skipping Liveship Traders but definitly not Farseer books. It's like starting a book in the middle and wondering what the hell is happening.

I know (or, perhaps I should say that I've subsequently figured this out!), Shing, but I picked up Fool's Errand at a library sale for 50 cents, and one page led to another, and....well, you get the picture!

So, having finished Fool's Errand (and it really wasn't too hard to pick things up, although I'm sure I'd have a deeper understanding of some of the characters had I gone sequential) do I a) go back and read the Farseer triology before proceeding any further, or b) finish the Tawny Man series and try to see the two stories as separate entities when I go back for Farseer?

I agree - Tawny Man trilogy is really an extension of the Farseer Trillogy (its just that publishers like trillogy releases ;)) and to not have read the first will leave you in a very confused position. Some books the author does back up the story at the start with a lot of back refrencing (can get to be a bit annoying sometimes in a series) but from what I remember there is way too much to backrefrence in Hobbs books ;)

Liveships is not essential, but it really adds a lot to the latter books of the Tawny Man trillogy and helps you to understand some characters (dragons!) better than if you read it without.

I'll take that as a vote to go back before reading on in Tawny, OR! Anyone else with thoughts here?

*Hangs sign over the thread saying "Please excuse; Thread temporarily hijacked by Grim"*

You should probably stop reading Tawny Man books right now and go get Farseer. Things will make more sense then. I usually call Farseer and Tawny Man just Farseer since Tawny Man is just 4-6 of Farseer.

OK, will follow the pack...er...sorry (in this case!) for the pun, folks. Farseer 1 thru 3, here I come! Will table Liveships decision 'til later! Thanks! :)

*Takes down sign*

Returning the thread to it's regularly-scheduled purpose!!!

I know overread, I wasn't counting the Liveship Traders. I just meant that since Farseer and Tawny Man is about Fitz and written in his point of view, that it was 1-6. Even though Liveship Traders tells some things for the TM books.

A bit more on topic though, those who've finished the Soldier Son trilogy did you think the ending was good or worth it? TM had a great ending, making all that depressing stuff worth it. I don't want to be spoiled of course, just a vague general answer really.

Edit:
Like I can already figure he's not going to end up with Carsina (Not spoiling, speculating). My guess is it's either the half-breed Sil girl he met or some other Plainsmen woman. Or no one. I suppose that's just guessing it be like her other books where there was some kind of relationship for the main character.

Last edited:
I have never read the Liveship books but was a huge fan of the Farseer and Tawny man books. I am one of those people that has to read an authors first works first. If I am interested in an author I pick up their first book first and work my way from there. Unfortunatly, I was so enthralled with the Farseer books (and upon reading reviews was sure that skipping the Liveship books wouldnt kill me) I proceeded to read the Tawny series and really got my fix for that story line. By far my favorite stories to date.
I have read the first 2 of the Soldier son trilogy and as much as I enjoy them, I do miss the world of Fitzchivalry Farseer and the gang.

Well folks, I've read the Liveship Traders trilogy and have but am yet to read the Farseer, Soldier Son and Tawny Man trilogies, so what's the best order or will out of order prove to reveal too many spoilers?????

Well the real order is Farseer - Liveship Traders - Tawny Man, then Soldier Son is a new series so you can read that whenever. But since you read Liveship Traders--which is okay since it's slightly kind of side books but does give some details for TM I hear--you should read Farseer and then Tawny Man. Unless SS sounds more interesting to you than you can read that first if you want.

Yes, the SS trilogy is in a completely different universe to the other three, so don't worry about any spoilers for the other three when you read it, Gollum.

And there are things in the LT that fit into the gap between Farseer and Tawny Man, but generally, they're not strictly necessary to enjoy the rest. But I would read Farseer and Tawny Man in that order, or you'll definitely spoil Tawny Man...

I found the First Tawny Man book, Fool's Errand, quite enjoyable anyway. Will have to be on the lookout for spoilage in the Farseer series, then, in the form of what happens to some of the characters, but given how well Hobb spun the tale in Fool's Errand, I suspect I'll be entranced anyway....

I finished Shaman's Crossing. It wasn't bad. But for most of the book it didn't pull me in as completely as some so it took me awhile to read it. It was actually the last hundred or so pages that were the most interesting and made me keep reading on till the end. It was a good ending though. For a bit I feared something bad was going to happen but Hobb did a good job with it and making it good. It was certainly good enough that I didn't feel like stopping and reading a different series. Though it felt kind of slow for most of it.

I'm going on to Forest Mage now. I hope it's a bit more interesting. From the back of the book it sounds more interesting and that more bad times are on the way.

Edit:
I read a couple reviews on Amazon. People were saying it was depressing and even slower. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. I also hope there will be a good ending to the series like Tawny Man.

Last edited:
I finished Shaman's Crossing. It wasn't bad. But for most of the book it didn't pull me in as completely as some so it took me awhile to read it. It was actually the last hundred or so pages that were the most interesting and made me keep reading on till the end. It was a good ending though. For a bit I feared something bad was going to happen but Hobb did a good job with it and making it good. It was certainly good enough that I didn't feel like stopping and reading a different series. Though it felt kind of slow for most of it.

I'm going on to Forest Mage now. I hope it's a bit more interesting. From the back of the book it sounds more interesting and that more bad times are on the way.

Edit:
I read a couple reviews on Amazon. People were saying it was depressing and even slower. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. I also hope there will be a good ending to the series like Tawny Man.

I have recently finished Forest Mage and it is slow and depressing but still worth the read. I don't think that Hobb is capable of writing something that isn't good although she does seem to like putting her characters through hell and back.

Yeah, Hobb seems to have a talent for writing depressing books that seem to draw you in and makes you want to know what happens to the main character. I already see the issue about Nevare and why his family and friends would be disgusted like it says on the back of the book. Hopefully it gets taken care of in the next book or at the end of this one.

So far I have to disagree with the slow part. True, it started that way just like the first book but after awhile it became allot more interesting. I even stayed up a bit later than I usually do to keep reading. You want to know what will happen to Nevare next too much to stop.

I have finally ordered the first book in the liveship traders series. I am actually excited to finally read it. I want to read them all before the new book comes out this year.

I finished Forest Mage. I thought it was ten times better/more interesting than Shaman's Crossing. Maybe more than that even. It kept you on your toes wondering who was going to kick the bucket next and what was going to happen to Nevare. It wasn't too depressing. The important people are still alive, for now. From the ending it sounds like the final book will be much different. I hope it's just as interesting.

You'll have to let me know how it is when you read it ratsy. I have a few new books to series I need to read before I start the LT trilogy.

I finished Renegade's Magic. It was pretty good. It did take awhile to get to parts that you really wanted but it was still interesting and good. The ending was very good as well. All in all a pretty good series actually. There were slow parts but it was still worth it all in the end. And none of the series was that much depressing at all. Compared to Farseer & Tawny Man, the Soldier Son trilogy was as depressing as stepping on an ant. I didn't really care about the people who died and such things. Robin Hobb did well keeping the characters you like alive and in interesting situations.

No, it's not as high of quality as Farseer & Tawny Man. But it was still good in its own right and I certainly recommend the trilogy to others.