Brent Weeks--Night Angel Trilogy

like you, i've just started reading it - the library's holding the 2nd & 3rd for me. so far (100 pages) so par-for-the-course. i noticed a few editing errors along the way (one character inexplicably gets called Kevin midway through a paragraph!), but it's enjoyable enough at the moment. waiting to see if it becomes something special later on.
incidentally, i did start a thread a few months back, when the first one hit the shelves, as the idea of publishing all 3 in the trilogy before xmas seemed a bit of a novelty - as you can see, i didn't get much response back then :D
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/46982-brent-weeks-anyone.html

I've read the first two and am about to start the third.

I liked them more than I thought I would. I am interested to see how things play out.

I didn't notice any major errors, but then they do have to be pretty big for me to notice them as I tend to fall into a story and get lost in it if I am enjoying it.

Just finished reading "The Way of Shadows" and mostly enjoyed it - stumbled over the first couple of chapters as some parts seemed badly written and was unable to suspend disbelief.

This is listed as "fantasy" but often found myself thinking this was Young Adult fiction.

Was a surprisingly decent story in the end - the use of personal conflict I found excellent, if somewhat repetitive. Not sure I'm interested enough to read the follow-ons, though.

However, for anyone who's read it, I do have a question on something I was confused about, which I'll hide behind spoiler tags:

So, Azoth is unable to use his Talent, no matter what, because he's missing his "conduit". This turns out to be the ka-kakiri.

When he tries to retrieve the silver one from Elene, it starts to bond with him. His talent now works. So ... surely this should make him invulnerable to blades because of this specific ka'kakiri?

However, it never comes up, and there's even a suggestion that it was actually a fake and so doesn;t apply. And yet - how is he able to use his Talent after this event if that ka'kakiri wasn't real??

Or - am I misremembering? And that Durzo's ka-kakiri started to bond with Azoth while retrieving the "fake" from Elene?

But - how do you get a fake ka'kakiri?? Especially one that for all intents and purposes suggested that it was a magical sphere, ie, visually merging with Azoth??

Surely weeks didn't make an elementary error with this?

The second two are well worth it Brian, the first is really much more a set up for the second two...as to your issue I too will indulge in spoilers:

He starts to bond with Durzo's ka-kari, the silver flowing off the sword.

The fake one, is just a round ball of silvery materiel. It has no powers it is just pretending to be one.

He has none of the boons of the ka-kari because he hasn't fully bonded with it and he doesn't actually have it...

It gets much more fleshed out in the later books, now that he has sorted himself out a bit...much like in the first of the Mistborn trilogy, small issues just the beginning of the unfolding rest...

Anyway, I do urge you to read the next ones, and it really is fantasy, with assassins! and magic! but no dragons :(

I really enjoyed the series and I would recommend these books as well as his new series that begins with The Black Prism.

I read the first 2 and stopped the 3rd one. Kylar was too self loathing and always pining and and and... It was also repetitive like the story was the same for each book just more action and bigger monsters.

I liked all of them a lot!

Nice characters, Durzo Blint and Dollgirl. I liked the locations too.

da Rabentag

Coragem - i dont blame you. Its over rated anyway. There are better books that dont repeat the plot and introduce unnecessary new characters.

Way of shadows is decent, I would recommend it to anybody aged 15 to 21.

The other two... well... be warned, they reach new heights of ridiculousness making your suspension of disbelief a 500kg weight to carry, and soon you completely lose interest.

It's that corny, smothered in ketchup and chocolate spread, american version of YA fantasy. Lots of killing, prostitution etc, but these crippled, tweenage love-plots that are simply embarrassing - they are so far removed from the behaviour of adults that even a pair of 13 year-olds holding hand show more sophistication.

They're the equivalent of fast-food, read 'em from the library if you want something particularly undemanding.

I flew through these books a couple years ago. To be honest there isnt much i remember about them.

I didnt mind them but for anyone who thinks they read enough of Weeks I would suggest reading his new series. To me it was a 180 degree switch to an original almost genius world.

Give the Lightbringer books a shot

I absolutely loved The Night Angel trilogy.
Then I went on to read The Lightbringer series. Such clever twists and genius creativity kept me interested all the way through.

I really enjoyed this series until the end. Yes it had its flaws but it was entertaining and very dark in places which as a fan of Grimdark Fantasy and Horror Fiction I very much enjoyed. But the end? It was a real what on earth is going on moment for me. I couldn't believe what I was reading!!

SPOILERS
All the characters standing together and singing and all having perfect singing voices in order to raise the magic to defeat the undead.It just did not fit with the whole of the rest of the story for me and killed what had been a very enjoyable series.

I did like this series, been a few years so only vaguely remember. I know I felt a little let down not because it was bad more that it lacked something, can't put my finger on what but with a little more thought it could have been great.