Short Story by Anne

euclid

I read a short story in an anthology, years ago.

The story was written by Anne McCaffrey. It was about a young boy who could make things disappear by looking at them through a tube of cardboard and blinking! He makes next-door's cat disappear, then the house across the road (together with the tip of the postman's finger). The ending is wonderful.

It was an amazing piece of whimsical writing, the model for all of my own SF efforts, and I would love to find it again.

Anyone know what it was called, or where it was published? I did ask Ms Caffrey, who lives near me, but she did not reply.

A very good question. I'd love to read it if you can find it. I've read most of Anne's writing but this story doesn't ring a bell. I'm surprised that she didn't answer, she's usually quite approachable from what I've heard.

However, for more whimsical (as well as just plain but good) stories by Anne, I'd recommend the collections The Girl Who Heard Dragons and Get Off The Unicorn.

She replied to my letter, did a short critique of one of my whimsical short stories, but forgot to mention her own story.

She is quite old, I think she must be about 80, now. :)

She is 81 now I think. What did she say about your story, if you don't mind me asking?

82 (1926).

She said I should name the location of the story's setting. I think she liked it. Not sure.

The story needs work. I have learnt a lot about writing since I wrote that story. I may go back and rewrite it one day.

I've tracked down and read pretty much every short story Anne McCaffrey has written (including some hard to find ones like "Sittik" and "Fallen Angel"), and this doesn't ring a bell at all.

Do you know approximately how long ago you read it? I have a bibliographic source for everything she's done prior to 1992, which I'll check. It has summaries of each of her works, so if it's in there I'll find it.

How positive are that Anne was the author, or about the story details? I'm reminded of her story "A Proper Santa Claus" in which a boy's artwork comes to life; it's definitely different than what you describe, but the only one of her stories I can think of that comes close.

I read the story in the sixties or seventies. It was in an anthology published (I think) by Blandford Press, a UK company, which my father represented in Ireland.

Absolutely positive about the story details. I could sit down and write it (or an approximation).

I'm about 90% sure it was Anne's.

The publisher was NOT Blandford. It was another mark that my father represented. I think it was called "Winfield and Nicholas". Google can't find that name, unfortunately.

Apologies for my earlier error and my poor memory. :eek:

More apologies, I'm afraid. I think I found the story I was searching for, and guess what, it wasn't written by Anne at all! I think it is called "Seven Day Terror" by R. A. Lafferty. The story is contained in an anthology called "Nine Hundred Grandmothers".

I have ordered the book from Amazon. When I get it (in about 1 week) I will know for sure.

Apologies, apologies, apologies.

btw, I'm surprised that the authors' sub-forums don't include R.A. Lafferty, Robert Sheckley, Philip K. Dick, David Brin

that one might not have been written by Ms. McCaffrey, but it does sound like one she DID do in "Get off the unicorn"... kid who drew and colored things, cut them out and ate them..... they always tasted right.....and santa claus was purple or something like that.....came across as totally whimsical. not sure title, but I rmemeber running across it in the book, as well as stories she later expanded into longer works, Weyr Search became Dragonflight, Lady in the Tower became The Rowan, and A Meeting of Minds became Damia.

I'm glad you found your story! :) I didn't think it was an Anne one.

Ghost, the one you're describing is "A Proper Santa Claus" which is the one I mentioned a few posts up. :)

sorry Cheryl, skimmed the first time through. missed you calling it by name.

Yes, I found a souped-up version of that story, called "Seven-Day Terror" by R. A. Lafferty. The version I remember was a lot simpler. Still the same story.

Back