Ending of the Dark Tower Series

my understanding of the ending is that roland's purpose was to serve the beam, and to save the world from the breaking of the dark tower. for ever.

Oh, now that's interesting. He's a perpetual force that needs to keep going forever to keep the beam in good working order.

Which now, to keep with this idea, it makes me wonder if there's someone serving each of the beams, keeping them intact. I was always a bit disappointed that we didn't learn a bit more about the other beams.

I have to say that the ending in the series was ok, it felt a bit disappointing at first, but then I don't see much better ways for it to end. I agree with most of the other readers about the 3 first books(or 2) being way ahead of the rest. I just don't feel that the extent the others went to was necessary for the series. It felt that SK just made up 10 new stories to fill the pages. For example: The battle in calla - doesn't do much for the story, callahans past - nothing. The great build-up about susannahs pregnancy and mia's part of the whole thing felt partly as just fill-in to make it "epic". Mordred is way too fleshed out (as is walter) just to end in an anti-climax. I think I would have liked it more if the ka'tet just would have battled through some heavy **** for a book or so after book#3, and then reached the tower, some perhaps dead or seriously wounded.

I think SK just tried too much.

Here is my thoughts on some of blackthirteens ideas, most of which i agreed on.

- STEPHEN KING TAKES SOME ADD SPACE OUT IN HIS OWN OPUS TO RANT ABOUT THE MAN WHO HIT HIM WITH A MINIVAN. DUDE YOU WERE HIT BY A VAN STOP TALKING ABOUT IT ALREADY.

agree

Some Specific things that bothered me:

-The Last Three books felt like he had laid all this foundation and was unable to weave it all together because he was to busy on side tangents i.e. Callahan, and the many SK SK SK SK

Totally agree

-He builds up Mordred for three whole books, and while I see losing Oy is one of the biggest losses to my heart, Mordreds impact on the entire story felt weak

agree

-Too much Pere Callahan backstory

totally agree

-Tick Tock man was an amazing villain wiped out upon a whim in a few pages ( wait a minute so was Flagg).

correct

-The first line of the book is "the man in black fled..." but where's the man in Black's impact on the end of the saga he's barely there.

this

-Mia and the Chap. I may be the only one, but I felt that the whole Susannah Mia pregnancy was way drawn out and just plain handled weird. I mean it was like it didn't make sense and King decided to make it force fit by squeezing it in. I mean come on the baby being faxed over to Mia was just ridiculous. It felt like his No Outline, Just Type policy backfired and he didn't know how to start something he started.

totally agree

-I'm not a romance fan, but if your going to decide to have romance in your story it has to be believable. King did an amazing job on Roland and Susan's romance it was believable, but Susannah and Eddie's was simply not there.

I think both was good.

-OOH THIS IS A BIG ONE...TY SK I understand what a Dues Ex Machina is, but I didn't want to find one on every page, or read what one was again. It's like his later novels in the series are not a journey like so many have talked about but just an endless chain of Deus Ex Machina that shoots you out a door right to the foot of the tower. Why not just have Roland walk through a door when he reaches the Callas and shoot straight to the tower.

This got very annoying, he just couldn't finish what he started so he threw in himself, notes, and voices, ka, feelings and stuff like that to make it work.

- I found myself feeling disconnected from Suze and Eddie during # 7

I did not

- anyone remember the thinny, probably just remembered it as I did because of an overuse of Todash, not quite Todash etc... to much of the same not fully explained

I was not bothered by this.

- Ok so Ka is a Wheel we get it, but that doesn't mean I want to be in an endless state of deja vu its like he thought he couldn't prove the point. How many robots 3P0's do I need to see before I get the point that there's house keeping droids running around. I thought they were cool, but seeing them on every corner gets boring.

I think the robots were ok.

- CK erased from existed using a pencil eraser, I could swear I have seen this somewhere but probably blocked it form my memory.

I was not bothered by this.

-No matter how hard I tried to ignore it I couldn't help, but feel Kings condescending tone throughout the later books.

Totally agree.

-When an author creates something of this scope they have a responsibility to the reader, and story to do it justice. Is anyone else not buying this BS SK saying that he doesn't decide the stories he just uncovers them. I smell something fishy that would be a great defense if you felt that you had ruined your shot at something epic.

I agree.

With all these negative things being said, the story of course had some great parts and good storytelling.(I finished it duh) The last 2-3 books took some time to get the motivation to read them though. All these things are just stuff that would have made the story epic. But it feels SK is just really getting himself too deep.

I love the story, I never had a problem with the way Mordred or Flagg got taken out. It was fitting in the context of this story.

I don't agree Roland is a perpetual force, if he simply would stop seeking the Tower he would find peace and like everyone else he would die. It's his quest for the Tower that damns him to eternity.

I always knew that the first line should be the last line. And I think the horn is a good detail. But a lot of what went on in the second half of the last book felt hollow to me, like it didn't quite resonate. The how more than the results. The characters lost something I can't explain. That made me sad, but it's something I can understand.

Stephen King said more than once that he didn't know if he'd live long enough to finish the series. Then he was hit by the van and he really believed what he'd been mostly joking about for years. The first four books evolved slowly as he changed and grew over the years, and the last three came out in a rush as he was changed very dramatically overnight. Writing these books was something that he needed to do his whole life. And if writing the last three was what he needed to do to be ok, then so be it.

I think if he wrote them now, they would flow differently. But the end would still be the beginning. And if he wrote The Shining sober it would probably be different too.

I do not remember the afterword in detail. I remember I was not as offended as some of you feel we should be, but I also remember it being not nearly as friendly as they usually are. But I imagine he was probably also a little cranky with his wife, maybe his kids, certainly his physical therapist. He may have been a god to the world he created, but in this one we should let him be human.

The fact that the last book or two aren't exactly as I would have them (even though I don't know how that would be) does not change the fact that the first four (at least) are SPECTACULAR and the series overall is still the most enthralling thing I've ever read.

THINGS THAT DIDN'T BOTHER ME

1. The Groundhog Gunslinger: It was the only ending that made sense. Reminds me a little of Moorcock's Eternal Champion.

2. Nineteen: Yep, I didn't have a problem with this.

3. The Ka Tet Breaks: People get killed, it's a fact.

4. The story: I liked the parts where he followed the actual story, like freeing the Breakers or getting chased by that thing in the dark.

THINGS THAT BOTHERED ME

The main thing that bothered me, and it's responsible for several other things that also bothered me, is the fact that somewhere the story stopped being an epic quest and became a treatise on epic quests. Here's a list of all the things King could excuse with that mindset.

1. Deus Ex Machina: No treatise, no god from the machine.

2. So many Stevens: No treatise, no Steven King multiplayer mode.

3. Hey Joe, what's up?: No treatise, no need for lengthy catch up sections with old friends like Pere Callahan or Brautigan. He could still include the characters but wouldn't take ages to fill you in about what they had for lunch in '76.

4. No referencing other authors work: This was tedious elbow nudging, from The Emerald City and it's Dante quotation to the Lightsabers and The Golden Snitch of Ultimate Doom.

5. Dear Reader, Please Don't Stalk Me: That was an insult to the sane readers, and took a massive amount of impact from the ending(?).

CONCLUSION

It's a great series that's a little frustrating. And hey, I've got a list of things not to do when I try to write an opus (Number One: Opus and Dissertation aren't synonymous.)

Oh, now that's interesting. He's a perpetual force that needs to keep going forever to keep the beam in good working order.

Which now, to keep with this idea, it makes me wonder if there's someone serving each of the beams, keeping them intact. I was always a bit disappointed that we didn't learn a bit more about the other beams.

Yep, i agree. Maybe a spinoff can take care of this. We were never introduced to the Beams and only ever introduced to one of its keepers (Shardik) who was at the end of his path anyway, infected by parasites. Maturin finds his way into the storyline, but the rest are just mentioned and then ignored. I wouldn't have complained if SK would have gone into details about the Lion and the Wolf and the Eagle and the Rat, etc. instead of the drawing out of the whole Sussanah-Mia saga or lengthening the Calla Bryn Sturgis sub-plots.

As for the comment somewhere up there as to why Roland did not use the unfound door to directly access the tower, isn't it explained that beyond some point after CK's castle, ka's influence ends? How can they then reach someplace that is out of ka's reach. They would have gone todash, so to speak!

Also, there is a comment that says that Roland's lesson should have been to get involved with his ka-mates and remember the ka-tet that was. And to end the quest for the Tower once the Breakers were released. Well, for one, he remembers them all very well. Why else would be tell the story of Susan Delgado and the beginning of his quest for the tower before they entered the Wizard's glass castle? Why would he take it upon himself to rescue SK from the van in spite of his pain, instead of delegating it to Jake from the beginning? Or going after Sussanah in the Swamps during her feeding sessions as Mia to watch over her? I think he is the way he is with them because he remembers what the pink wizard's glass told him when it gave him the option between the tower and Susan...that he would lose everyone he was ever with in his quest; not necessarily because of his doing, but just because they were with him.

Second, if he would have ended his quest after releasing the breakers, there was still Mordred. The CK would have cajoled him to the tower, killed him and used his red heel in spider form (i forgot which part of his spider form the red heel was) to gain access to the tower. Nope, Roland's responsibility does not end after just freeing the beams.

Anyway, my two cents on the ending:

I had no problems with Walter going down the way he did. He had lived too long and done too much and had gone complacent. He thought a metal mesh hat would keep the son of the CK and the Last Gunslinger out of his head. Well, serves him right! I honestly couldn't see how a showdown b/w Walter and Roland would have gone. One dealt in magic, the other in lead. Nope, not compatible enough material for a showdown worth remembering.

I wasn't disappointed about CK either. Again, for me it was the ultimate defeat for CK. To be erased out of existence but for the eyes, that would haplessly witness his defeat as Roland fearlessly enters the tower bellowing his ka-mates' names.

I was disappointed with how Mordred goes though. It was like much ado about nothing, especially the fuss made about his birth in the whole Sussanah-Mia saga! Mordred is just reduced to an over-qualified and 'a-very hongry' tracker who just follows his hume father around and hates him for what again!??

A showdown between Roland and Mordred at CK's castle would have been great, with the father leaving the son in some trap and getting a head start (i ain't no SK but still...).

I was most pissed about SK inserting himself in the Dandelo sub-plot. And telling Roland that all debts were paid! How dare he!!? Did he have to see one of his kids die, and then keep his grief aside till he performs his duties towards saving Roland from Dandelo (by writing it in the story)?

As for the ending where Roland starts over again? For me this was the only way that made sense. And i liked that i was kept guessing about it till the end. In retrospect, anything else would have been a cliche ending.

By gods, what am i, writing a thesis!? "Blaine is a pain and that is the truth", that kinda stuff!!?

I think that the fact that this message board thread spans 5 years speaks volumes to the Dark Tower series.

I did not read this 34 year long story as it was released. I began the first book in April and finished the seventh last night.

I liked it... but I find myself sitting here needing to type this out for my own sanity. It's hard to take all that in and digest it without a little clarification. I'm left with so many questions still.

Clearly it's a story of redemption, second chances, fate, Ka. Roland loses his first love in Mejis, then his original gunslinger ka-tet at the battle of Gilead.

I think the story ending at that point of the desert (yes yes, with the horn of course) makes sense because that's when his opportunity for redemption began. First with the love of a child, then as he draws forth his replacement ka-tet from the doors.

That right there is Ka saying, here you go, buddy... take it or leave it. Your quest is complete, let's just... call it a day.

At the end of 7 when the boundaries of Ka are reached, I think that speaks true to the story as well. To life in general. In many religions, the gods give us humes a choice. That's what makes us different from them. We understand good versus evil, but still have to choose one or the other.

Roland also had a choice. Are you telling me his ancient gunslingers eye couldn't have stopped that bullet from entering Eddies skull after the battle at Algul Siento?

Nay. He'd already made his choice at that point. The tower or nothing. And the ending spoke true. He would be forced to repeat it until he got it right.

That's a pretty way to look at it I think, but if Roland's life is the tower, if he is the keystone of the universe... what are the beams really? Plotlines? Interloping plotlines? All things serve the beam? All stories lead to Roland? Is that why the beams guardians are from books?

Why does the word Nineteen, the answer revealed in book 1, drive the folken of that little town whose name I've already forgotten mad? Is it revealed to them that they are but supporting characters in a greater story? Like Callahan? Is that what drives them to want to murder Roland? That they're doomed to repeat for the 1,000th time because the man before them won't give up his curiosity?

What is the true goal of the breakers and the Can-toi? Not the fall of the Tower but the fall of Roland himself? Is Roland's quest really that noble or is he the force that's trapped all others in his never ending cycle?

Or is the fall of the tower really just Stephen King's fear of retirement... of death. The death of his Universe.

I like to think that this round, Roland will figure it out. He won't let Jake fall... and because of this Jake will protect him from the lobstrosities as they draw Eddie and Susannah into mid-world. Because he didn't let Jake fall, Susannah won't be impregnated with Mordred during his re-drawing. The Ka'tet will still stop the breakers.. but Jake, with just that much more experience will save Eddie Deans life.

They'll join Brautigan and his pals in search of a new world and live happily ever after. Flagg, still in search of his own tower will not come upon Mordred but will instead reach the tower and the Crimson King... and there... well, I'm not Stephen King.

This is mostly re iterrating what the guy above said but it is also my opinion.
I just finished reading the last book after putting it off for a long time but I have to say I think the ending was fitting and whilst some people will differ in opinion.
I did not like the way in the version I bought at least that king made it seem like reading the ending was the wrong thing to do as i think it was a good ending,and who knows I believe that roland does eventually make the right decision whiether on the tenth time or the ten thousandth time.

The ending to the Dark Tower is perfect. I dont have to say anything else because I know its true and so does Mr. King. No disapointments. No let downs. He gave me exactly what i wanted out of the book. An incredible journey with one hell of an ending .(sort of...) Thank you Mr. King

Anyone think Mr. King may return to the Tower one final time , particularly as a final novel before putting down his pen? I do.

I thought Stephen King just kind of decided to wrap it up. It's sad to invest a lot of time reading these books and then feel like the author just sort of gave up in the end. Why didn't he just end it with something like "And then Jake woke up and realized it was all a weird dream and went back to school"? I mean we get Mordred (demon/Roland spawn/Stewy from the Family Guy) killing the walkin' dude? Seriously? And then the crying, talking, pet dog/raccoon sacrifices himself to save Roland. The artist erases the Crimson King? Why didn't artsy boy draw Roland a sniper rifle and some new fingers instead?? Then Roland gets totally screwed and has to start over with some new hardware for his umpteenth do-over. And to top it all off, Stephen King tells us not to read the ending. To quote Roland "Kill me if you must, but command me nothing!" I think Mr. King forgot the face of his readers with the ending.

I agree with the theory that Roland will progress through multiple journeys, all very similar, until he finally completes his quest "for real."

This has probably happened to the poor ******* several times in the past. Making a mistake here and there. And there are quite likely several other mistakes that he's made. For example, maybe only a COMPLETE descendant of Arthur Eld may enter the tower. And by that, I mean not with a mutilated right hand. Maybe even Roland himself, with a perfect hand would be enough... Perhaps his Ka-tet would have to be perfect, as well. At that point, maybe, would he finally be finished. And what, then, would he achieve? The repairing of the beams? Death, and a final rest? Or maybe even becoming Gan...

In the end, though, there's no real way to know. What I've described above is what I believe will happen, and since this is fiction, what I believe will happen is what WILL happen :D

Of the many unanswered questions, one of them that I ask my self is: "What about 19?" We never get a concrete answer on the subject, as to what 19 means for us. I have a few assumptions... One of them being that perhaps 19 is the amount of journeys Roland has been through. Perhaps when he is traveling with Eddie, Jake, and Susannah with the horn in his pouch, they'll mysteriously find the number "twenty" popping up all over the place. Or maybe I'm wrong, and maybe 19 is the number made to indicate the final journey.

The ending disappointing me a LOT at first, but after reading a few pages of this thread and thinking about it, perhaps its not so bad after all. There were still a few things that I didn't like, though. For example, Susannah meeting up with Eddie and Jake... Sure, it's happy and all, but it just isn't the same. The lovable Jake will just be another kid going through his life, and Eddie and Susannah will likely just end up working at convenience stores or fast food restaurants their entire lives, our world has no need for gunslingers. The dog that they later find to replace Oy (which King hinted at) will just become a mut that craps all over their floor, failing to be the important reliable, intelligent being that Oy was.

I liked the ending nonetheless. Roland, when you reach the tower for the final time, may it be worth the journeys, every one of them...

I must admit it kind of ruined it for me when it went all weirdy , bringing King into the storyline. Fine to bring in other characters from different novels , but went too far with this idea

The ending had me reeling back with astonishment, was totally sucked into the story, and I actually think it was one of the best endings ever.

But no journey ever ends, there's only new beginnings, and this was perfect. The fact that Roland understood he'd made the journey before and would make it again was intriguing. I envisaged him starting previous journeys with less and less. Now that he has the horn and is starting again, it's going to make a difference that might be of major influence to Roland's story.

I only had two small disappointments: a) that SK won't write the new journey and b) that Susan Delgado won't be saved - I always felt she had a rough deal, of all of them.

Alright so I know I'm pretty late to this whole discussion, my friend bought the series last year and after reading it practically forced me to read The Gunslinger, probably knowing I would have to finish the series after that, and I am thankful because the whole series was amazing. As my opinion of the ending:

I thought the ending was perfect, his quest was not done because he didn't have the horn since SK was writing from this poem the last stanza says it all

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew."

Therefore no horn = quest isn't finished.

As for the business of the beams, I may be remembering something that wasn't in the book, but after they stopped the breakers and saved SK to keep the beam of the wolf up, was it not hinted that the beams would start recovering and repairing themselves and that eventually the fallen beams would start to grow across the worlds again? :confused:

[/FONT]

Here's a thought ; maybe Roland only achieves his final goal when King writes that he does.

Cry pardon for joining so late, but I just finished the series and I am beyond happy to read that even as few as a handful are unhappy with the death of The Man in Black/Walter O'Dim/Randall Flagg/Richard Fannin/Ageless Stranger/Walkin' Dude/Marten Broadcloak/Rudin Filaro/and the theorized Leland Gaunt and Andre Linoge...
Because I know I sure am! :mad:

You see that long list of names. The character is so intriguing. He dies like a b----.

It is late where I am so at the moment I only wanted to write this (and because, before I write my feelings regarding the series as a whole, I want to make sure that this board is still visited :D).

Long days and pleasant nights,
The_Wheel_O'Dim