Last episode and the whole "prison" part of the series

Lobolover

I found it unenjoyable.The moment they lost the dwarf,it was already iritating, but when they set it in a prison which was conventiontely never mentioned before,I was thinking they realy ran out of ideas and generaly disliked it.

Whats your opinion?

I don't mind the episodes where they're in the Starbug (or maybe I've just been steered that way seeing at they seem to be the only ones that the Dave Channel shows...) but I dislike the episodes where Rimmer goes off to be Ace and Kristine joins the crew. Rimmer's my favourite character and the series just doesn't seem right with him missing. I think I'd say that the middle series are my personal favourites -- I haven't seen the final series in quite some time but I didn't particularly like when the Red Dwarf and its entire crew was resurrected.

As it's such a long time since I saw these episodes, I don't recall whether the prison was a meant to be a purpose-built part of the ship (even before it was brought back from destruction).

What I do recall is that the ship is huge, with dozens (a hundred or more? - obviously my recall is not all it should be) of decks. (The "original" Kryten went exploring at the end of the episode where he was discovered.) It seems to me that there is more than enough space to build all sorts of facilities, including a prison the size of which the UK's Prison Service can only dream.

Yes, the Red Dwarf ship is (to use the correct terminology) bloody huge. Probably over a hundred decks or so on it. In the first few series, the most viewers probably saw was the bedroom, a few of the corridors, the computer room and I seem to recall a handful of other places like the locker room etc.

Bloody huge is right - 6 miles long, 5 miles high and 4 miles wide. As for the prison, I don't remember it being mentioned prior to the nanobots rebuilding the ship at the end of series 7. However, it is mentioned that they rebuilt the Dwarf using the "original" design specs rather than the ones the Jupiter Mining Corporation used (which included cutbacks), and therefore the rebuilt ship is bigger than before and has many new levels and facilities - perhaps including a prison.;)

And yes, I know. I'm an RD nerd.:D

I like the beginning to the first few series -- that really shows the scale of the ship when you pull outwards from the lonely figure painting the letters and you see how small they are by the time the full Red Dwarf comes into view.