A Contest -- Win free copies of The Hidden Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
By the grace of I, Brian (thanks Brian), I would like to announce a contest.

The prizes are signed first edition copies of my epic The Hidden Stars plus (something you can't get in bookstores) signed maps of the world of the story.

The winners will be the first three people to PM me the correct answers to the following three questions:

1. In J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings the chief of the Nazgul, the Black Captain, is also known as the Witch-King. What is the name of the kingdom he once ruled?

2. In T. H. White's The Once and Future King, there is a painful scene in which the Orkney children, Gawain and his brothers, slay a beautiful mythical beast. What was the beast that they killed?

3. In E. R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros the main action of the story takes place on what planet?
***or*** (alternate question, you get to choose which one you would like to answer on this one)
In Tad Williams's The Dragonbone Chair what is the name of Prester-John's sword?

Re: A Contest -- Win free copies of The Hidden Stars

Dang. I can't answer either - I have no copy of the White work available and have never read it (!!) and my copy of the Tad Williams work has long since been shuffled off to other interested readers. Sadly, my over-read copy of LOTR was destroyed by some avid fan :p who couldn't stop reading it and after so many pages got lost, the whole thing had to be abandoned :(
Shucks. Why couldn't you ask something about The Darkweaver Legacy or Shadowmarch or even The Callahan Chronicles? Those I could answer :D .

I suppose I'll just have to wait and buy my own copy of The Hidden Stars someday :)

There are no real rules to this contest. You can research the answers on the web. Form a syndicate and share the answers you already know. Deluge me with multiple entries in which you guess at the answers. (I'd probably enjoy the attention.) Whatever your devious little minds can devise.

But not so difficult that we don't already have a winner: Dead Riverdragon. Congratulations.

Two more books/maps left to be won.

Thanks for the opportunity Kelpie and Brian, I think that's the first thing I've won since my Blue Peter badge years back-looking forward to a cracking read! I'll be sure to return the favour once I'm pulished:)

You're both winners! But since lester slipped through on a sort of technicality (answering both versions of question number three correctly), I decided it was only fair to send out an extra book/map.

So one more prize still left ...

yeah!
this is fun. i think im going to do it once i find a signed book that people would actually answer questions for.

The books are in the mail! You should have them soon, lester and dwndrgn -- and in about a week Dead Riverdragon. That is, if the US Post Office does not lie.

Still one book remaining to be won.

And the contest is closed. (Perhaps we'll do another one when the sequel comes out.) Leto claimed the final book. Congratulations. And thanks for participating everyone.

(I'm curious to know how many of you had to look up the answer on the Eddison question, and how many of you actually knew.)

i got my copy in the mail today, it looks great, and the map is pretty darn cool
thanks a lot!

Oh good. I didn't think it would take long to go less than a hundred miles, but overnight delivery is still pretty good.

Glad you like the map. (I keep a tiny gnomish cartographer in a cage on my desk for just these occasions.) Hope you enjoy the book.

For your information. On the flipkart site (from where I am trying to order the Rune of Unmaking) you have been called a debut author. This is what it says:

About the Author
Debut author Madeline Howard enjoys gardening, Celtic myths, and working on the next Rune of Unmaking book. She lives in Northern California with her family.

Yes, that's hanging around from the days when HarperCollins was pretending I wasn't me. They were trying to relaunch my career as a shiny new author. It probably would have worked a lot better than it did if I had finished the next two books on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.